Ice castle or Glacier?

Home Forums Minnesota Fishing Forums Ice Fishing Talk Ice castle or Glacier?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    MrsE
    Participant

We are looking at getting a new fish house. We were looking at the 17′ Ice Castle RV edition with hydraulics. But I was really concerned if the weight of the fish house would be supported by the frame it was on. The dealer could not tell me a weight of it, so that wasn’t very helpful either. Kind of turned us away from this kind. Does any one have any other information these types of houses?

With that we stumbled across Glacier and liked the 17′ RV edition they have. They are a newer company it seems. So it’s hard to find reviews and that. Their houses really seem to be of good quality. But then I started reading some things on the Ice Castle fb group about their frames not being good. Now I’m concerned, and more lost than anything.

We are trying to make the most informed decision before spending a lot of money. Does anyone have input on either of these? I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!

TightLine
      Participant

The 8×17 Ice Castle RV has an estimated weight of 4,920 lbs. It kind of sounds like the dealer turned you away more than the house itself. I’m a big fan of Ice Castles and have watched them being made. Every line of houses has its detractors. Common sentiments are that Yettis get cold and brittle, Firebrands ride too low and hit on landings, Ice Castles rust like crazy, Glaciers look good but fall apart quickly, etc.

I will tell you that Ice Castle has come a long way on their frames, especially the hydraulics. They also offer galvanized frames for hydraulic houses which, if you can afford it, is excellent.

I’m not a huge fan of rv editions so I can’t comment on the water lines, pumps, etc.

I have viewed Glaciers and I do not like them. When I fished in them I’ve found it to be very drafty and I’ve also seen cabinet doors fall off during transport and after minimal use.

Ice castles can be put together well or, if someone is having a bad day at the shop, you might notice some fit and finish issues. Before you accept delivery, just make sure you go through and note anything you want fixed and they will fix it for you. Make sure you’re happy with it before you tow it home. There is a reason ice castle is the #1 selling fish house and it’s because it is affordable, there are many layout options and, in general, they are built well (and many of the axle/frame issues have been addressed in the last few years.

If I could special order a house, I’d make sure it was spray foamed and on a galvanized hydraulic frame.

Brandon Zumwalt
        Attorney, Dad and Fisherman-sometimes all at the same time.
        MrsE
        Participant

Thanks for that information. That really helps.

So the dealer we were working with gave me 3 different weights, and then told me he couldn’t give me a weight because it was so different for each one (based on options). My concern is, the house we were looking at was on the berkon frame, after looking at that frame, the capacity was 5300 lbs. If they weigh on average 4900 lbs without the hydraulics, I’m a little concerned.

Do you have any idea on what the non rv editions weigh? Now we are thinking that might be the better way to go.

Is the galvanized frame the same as the heavy duty? I was told that the heavy duty frame adds another 350 lbs. I guess I’m just worried about spending so much money on something.

Any other helpful hints before purchasing one? Thank you so much!

WalleyeFreak21
          Participant

Have you looked at the Salem ice cabins or King Crow fish houses?

"If Hilary Clinton can't satisfy her husband, what makes her think she can satisfy America?" ~Donald Trump
            MrsE
            Participant

I have not… are those different brands or different versions of ice castles?

Edit: Sorry just googled. I had previously saw the salem one somewhere (probably craigslist), but we are a family of four and we don’t want one bigger than the 17/18′ so I don’t think that’s an option. I’ll have to check out the king crow options.

TightLine
              Participant

Non rv castles in that size usually come in around 4200 lbs. The 4920 is the dry weight which includes the hydraulics. I have a very hard time believing the Berlin frame is only rated to 5300 lbs as the rv version with full propane, water tanks and gear would be over the limit. I think if you went to another dealer such as Milaca, Smokey Hills, Bullyans, you’ll feel much more comfortable with the castle. Those guys sell a lot of them and know their stuff.

Brandon Zumwalt
                MrsE
                Participant

I asked the guy at the dealership I was working with if this was the frame it was on, http://berkonoutdoors.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=60

He said yes. I contacted Berkon and they said that that frame has a 5300 lb capacity. So unless I was told the wrong told the wrong frame, then yes I’m concerned that we would be over the limit very quickly and run into problems….

I feel like I’m missing something. This seems like such a popular house… and this is one of the things holding up a purchase :(

Maybe we’ll have to take a trip up there to talk with that dealer instead.

jriegel
                  Participant

Just a thought if the total weight of the house is 4900 is it possible the frame weighs 1000 or more of that total weight?

MrsE
                    Participant

I was told by Berkon that frame (linked above) weighs 1500 lbs

f4rcr
                      Participant

My father in law has a beckon frame under his home built fish house. He built way to heavy and has had no issue with the frame. He had it weighed once full of gear for 4 guys, food for 5 days it came in at a little over 6100 and he pulled it to Lake of the woods with no issues. He has over 8000 miles on that frame and no problems yet knock on wood

f4rcr
                        Participant

I will also say I know that some of glaciers frames are built in st.cloud I think it is just the 8 foot wide ones and they seem to be built well. The company building them is ikler bearing and they have a good reputation in the area

MrsE
                          Participant

f4rcr wrote:
                            My father in law has a beckon frame under his home built fish house. He built way to heavy and has had no issue with the frame. He had it weighed once full of gear for 4 guys, food for 5 days it came in at a little over 6100 and he pulled it to Lake of the woods with no issues. He has over 8000 miles on that frame and no problems yet knock on wood

Thank you! That is great to hear!!

MrsE
                            Participant

f4rcr wrote:
                              I will also say I know that some of glaciers frames are built in st.cloud I think it is just the 8 foot wide ones and they seem to be built well. The company building them is ikler bearing and they have a good reputation in the area

That’s interesting. I can’t remember the brand of frame that was on the one we looked at (something like SLC?), anyway the salesman said the were out of ND or SD, I thought. But maybe it was just that size of one I was looking at.

TightLine
                              Participant

jriegel wrote:
                                Just a thought if the total weight of the house is 4900 is it possible the frame weighs 1000 or more of that total weight?

Jriegel is spot on. The dry weight of the house is 4920 but 1500 of that is frame. The capacity of the frame is 5300 lbs. So the 17 ft rv edition is 3420 lbs of house on the frame. So you’re well under the 5300 capacity.

Brandon Zumwalt
                                zachd
                                Participant

TightLine wrote:

jriegel wrote:

Jriegel is spot on. The dry weight of the house is 4920 but 1500 of that is frame. The capacity of the frame is 5300 lbs. So the 17 ft rv edition is 3420 lbs of house on the frame. So you’re well under the 5300 capacity.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.