Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

Why you go to Lake Winnipeg
LSF Member
From West Fargo
Made my first trip to Lake Winnipeg 2/25 & 2/26. Had a great trip. Caught 3 Master Anglers plus countless other fish. A true world class water.
Video also attached. Click on it to view.

Attach file:

3gp IMG_6260.3gp Size: 140.89 KB; Hits: 354

jpg  GWVD2150.JPG (1,949.90 KB)
17764_58b4afdfb48f4.jpg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 2/27 18:02:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Why you go to Lake Winnipeg
Staff Team
From Monticello/Paynesville
Congratulations TS32! That is a true trophy and a trip you'll be telling for years to come.

Posted on: 2/27 18:36:28

LSF Member
From mora mn
Awesome. Headed up the 9th. Any good info?

Posted on: 2/27 19:20:52

LSF Member
From West Fargo
Our best bait for big fish was a pink northland flutter spoon with a rattle in it. Live targets caught fish, but all or our Master Angler's came on the flutter spoon tipped with minnow tails. 18 FOW was best for us. Went out of Warner Rd and went out 4-5 miles.

Posted on: 2/27 20:39:06

Quote:

toursauce32 wrote:
Made my first trip to Lake map Winnipeg 2/25 & 2/26. Had a great trip. Caught 3 Master Anglers plus countless other fish. A true world class water.
Video also attached. Click on it to view.

Hello,
Can you share the tricks and process ? How to trap the fish ?

Posted on: 2/28 1:04:24

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
Congrats on the trophy! That lake is addicting.

Posted on: 2/28 9:29:18

LSF Member
From Duluth
A picture can speak volumes,,, At least that one did for me. Thanks for the report.

Posted on: 2/28 11:09:44

LSF Member
From central mn
Well guyz,those of you that make the trek or have it on your bucket list I would make a run sooner rather than later,just reading the reports recently its obvious the big fish#'s are slipping,seems smaller walleyes are the norm in the 14" to 18" range compared to a few years back,reminds me of years past when we ran to nipawan to fish giant walleyes in Tobin lake,between native netting and heavy sport fishing pressure those days are no longer,well guess what~

Looks like BIG WINDY days are numbered as well...off another site I found this interesting and how familiar as locals from nodak are making the run's up there big time but commercial netting is taking a toll both native and non native,imagine that...A huge lake like this is spiking...

Quote:

actually we sat and watched them pull a bunch of nets last year. It would really surprise you at what they catch. Lots of junk fish, some pike....and a whole lot of walleyes. The majority of the walleyes they pulled were from the 5 to 8 pound range with a fair amount up to I'd say tops of 11 pounds. It will make your stomach hurt watching it. They were super nice guys, and they're just making a living, but no doubt they take more big fish out in one day than most lakes in ND see in a year. (Excluding the major lakes).

I was listening to a well respected biologist up there give a long speech at a conference on a YouTube video. He stated the problem is, of the 10 million (I can't remember if it's in tons or pounds and I know it's a big difference) that the commercial industry is allowed to harvest, they don't have restrictions on how much of one species they can catch to make up that quota. Beings the walleye market is the highest, that's basically all they are keeping. Mind you I witnessed them throwing pike and whatever they didn't want on the ice and driving away. The biologist also stated that the bulk of the big fish that the recreational crowd is chasing is from the same monster year class, which was like 05 or 06 if I remember correctly. He said every year that year class gets weaker and sooner than later, what the recreational industry thrives on will be a thing of the past unless the providence starts restricting how much of the quota may be filled with walleye. He also believes the world record will come out of the lake sometime between 2020 and 2025.

Posted on: 2/28 12:32:59

LSF Member
From central mn
I did the quick research and the Manitoba quota is roughly 30 million pounds a year. They claim 70% of that quota comes from lake Winnipeg. So that means 21 million pounds of fish come out of lake Winnipeg a year. Figuring at 4 pounds of meat per fish (which is just a guess), 5.2 million walleyes are netted from Lake Winnipeg annually.

And where is this going boyz -n-girls?

Posted on: 2/28 12:51:05

LSF Member
From Fargo, ND
I'll be up there the 9th-12th for my second trip of the year. Hoping this trip is better than the first.

I wouldn't say the numbers of big fish are down until the end of March Madness. There will be a lot of big fish caught and a lot more people fishing in March than there is now.

Posted on: 2/28 14:35:49

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page