Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Permanent house questions
Field Staff
From Willmar, MN
My family just bought a 2015 Ice Castle Mille Lacs Hybrid and my wife is having way to much fun outfitting it with camping stuff. I guess it's her camper until December, then it's my fish house.

You guys with wheel houses or campers have any recommendations on nice items to have such as, katz kovers, hole sleeves, slush bucket, fillet knives, utensils, etc that one sometimes doesn't think of until it's nice to have them and you don't.

Also, any does, don'ts, tips for blocking, banking, set-up, etc? I've done it a few times with buddies but I'm always open to tips and tricks.

Posted on: 2017/3/7 10:28

2015 Team Archery Contest Winner
2016 Team Archery Contest Winner
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Permanent house questions
LSF Member
From Secret X
Buy an ion, and slush copter, drill with house up, crank down no need to block up unless your leaving it for a while and clear holes with copter.. No slush to carry out of the house is awesome. And no smoke is nice too

Posted on: 2017/3/7 11:23

LSF Member
From Wahkon,MN
I did not like the Katz covers, holes froze as not enough warm air went down the few holes that were drilled.

Hole selves are a must.

Ion with reverse was a great addition this last season. I got 24" too extension but did not need it this last season...

Slush catcher bin

rattle reels

Curtains that stop all light, strobe lights from other houses are darn annoying. Also some full moon nights are quite bright.

paper towel holder/rack

Pizza tray if you have an oven

I personally drop house down then drill holes. Sometimes a house will slide or slip when lowering meaning your holes will not line up if pre drilled.

sometimes the door will frost/freeze shut during really cold trips. there are tricks for that.

Generator and way to keep generator up off ice during blowing snow times as the blowing snow will plug the intake filter and kill a generator.

toilet bags- black.

mirror on wall in bath for wife...

cookware

TOOL SET
Jack
spare set of leaf springs
spare cables
spare cable clamps
propane torch

Posted on: 2017/3/7 14:16

LSF Member
From Secret X
If u leave the shack attached to the truck when u crank down it stays in place so the holes line up. And I'm telling u that slush copter is magical

Posted on: 2017/3/7 14:39

Field Staff
From Willmar, MN
Thanks guys, great info so far....keep it coming!

The house came with oven, A/C, TV, and yamaha generator. A few other small things but those are the bigger appliances so to speak.

I also got a K-Drill/Milwaukee for my auger set-up this year so no fumes.

Also, if it makes a difference for any responses...we do have 2 kids, 3 year old and 2.5 month old.

Posted on: 2017/3/7 14:47

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
Shelves and hole specific lighting next to where you are going to sit while you fish. Nice to be able to light up individual holes in the middle of the night when the rattle reels go off. Can't have enough coat hooks to hang up coats, bibs, gloves. Good shovel for banking the house or clearing the spot for it on the ice.

Posted on: 2017/3/7 16:03

Field Staff
From Willmar, MN
Do you guys drop down when you go camping or leave it up? How about when storing for longer periods of time?

Posted on: 2017/3/8 10:10

LSF Member
From Pennock
I drop mine down when camping but always bring pieces of 2x4's with me to put underneath, when parked on a paved camping spot I dont bother, but setting down in grass spots easy to have just a couple points make contact and make it unlevel. With a fridge, I like to have it level as possible. Ice Castle told me to crank it down and up once a month, I have winches though, no idea on hydraulic models.

Posted on: 2017/3/8 10:22

LSF Member
Quote:

freighttrain50 wrote:
Do you guys drop down when you go camping or leave it up? How about when storing for longer periods of time?

If you're camping with 2 young kids I'd drop it down.

I have an almost 4 year old and she is of course old enough to make the step up/down, assuming she is paying attention and not running around all excited which of course isn't always the case. I can almost guarantee that my kid would take a header out the door at least once during a weekend camping trip if it wasn't dropped down.

Also by the end of this summer that little one of yours may be crawling around and by next summer they'll be stumbling around on 2 feet.

My 3 year old has been begging me to take her camping since December. Going to have to plan an early trip this year I think.

Posted on: 2017/3/8 10:30

LSF Member
From Wahkon,MN
One thing we did before some of our first fishing trip when my boy was 2 was to do a "test" night. We set up the house in the drive way and went "camping" to see how he would do with the concept. It was a great way to get him used to the concept and find any things we overlooked.

He still likes to sleep in it at home every now and then.

For those who have children asking to go camping but can't make it too often something as simple as an at home camping trip in the driveway would still give the kids some excitement and put a smile on their face. After all, isn't that what gets kids hooked on doing these things is the excitement?

Posted on: 2017/3/8 11:34

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page