Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

walleye?
From hawley,MN
been wanting to go after some walleyes but never know when the best time to try is... any general info would be very helpful thanks

Posted on: 3/8 18:36:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: walleye?
LSF Member
From Fargo, ND
In the spring they start going nuts when the water temp is around 50 degrees, give or take a few. (Water temp gauge: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwisweb/graph?agency_cd=USGS&site_no=05054000&parm_cd=00010&period=7) However, it's not unheard of to catch them well before the water warms up. A buddy of mine was catching pike and walleyes on the Red a couple of weeks ago before the river flooded. Mid-April is usually the ticket. Last year, I was catching them in late-March.

When the water gets to that peak temperature, look for walleyes to bite at sunrise and sunset in slack water near shore. If you can find rocks or gravel, that's your best bet because it's a prime spawning location.

Posted on: 3/8 22:07:20

LSF Member
From Woodbury, MN and Fargo, ND (All Around)
What Nick said. Do not be afraid to throw bobbers with minnows in 2-4 feet of water. It took me a long time to figure out. Sunset is always best for me. Eddies downstream of outputs in shallow have always been good for me along with rocky areas.

Posted on: 3/9 8:56:00

From hawley,MN
Ok sounds good guys thank ypu very much for the advice very much appreciated

Posted on: 3/9 14:09:00

Hello all, I'm new to this Grand Forks area and new to the red. Wondering if there are any dangers involved with the red this time of year, at what water level would it make it not okay to go out in my boat? I noticed it is a bit high right now and covering the GF damn. Are logs a big issue this time of year? I'm used to my Missouri River system in Bismarck.

Also are there any areas that are better for spring Walleyes? such as the Oslo. Drayton, Buxton. or GF ramps? I dont mind traveling for big eyes.

Any other general tips would be appreciated.

Posted on: 4/6 10:52:40

LSF Member
From Thief River Falls
some people do well with walleyes but my advice is to start catfishing. it is so much fun on the red. I lived in grand forks for 5 years and try make it back to fish as much as I can. my brother caught what was quite possibly the biggest walleye to ever come out of the red on a cut sucker minnow while catfishing, but he didn't have a tape measure or a scale and didn't know he could keep it because it was before opener so he took a pic and released it. It looked like a dinosaur caught right in town.

Posted on: 4/6 11:12:20

Pro Staff
From Grand Forks, North Dakota
Quote:

logstar6 wrote:
Hello all, I'm new to this Grand Forks area and new to the red. Wondering if there are any dangers involved with the red this time of year, at what water level would it make it not okay to go out in my boat? I noticed it is a bit high right now and covering the GF damn. Are logs a big issue this time of year? I'm used to my Missouri River system in Bismarck.

Also are there any areas that are better for spring Walleyes? such as the Oslo. Drayton, Buxton. or GF ramps? I dont mind traveling for big eyes.

Any other general tips would be appreciated.

I agree, start catfishing, Are you aware that the Red River is the best channel cat fishery in the world?

As far as putting a boat in you will be fine. You should always be vigilant of logs and other things coming down no matter what the level. I would say the biggest worry right now is mud on the ramps.

Posted on: 4/7 9:27:12
Catfish University

There are lots of opportunities for both catfish and walleye. Fish the seasons. The walleye tend to be spring and fall mostly with catfish consistent throughout season when water is 50 and above. Captain Brad knows what he's talking about and I'd suggest booking a trip with him to get acquainted with an excellent channel cat fishery. Walleyes are abundant with some big girls. Lots of sauger usually too. Target tributaries where they enter the Red using whistling jigs/minnows fished slow bouncing the bottom in shallow water. As said, if you can find sand/rocks there will be fish. I always fish 2 lines with one being a bottom rig with 2 ounce weight and 18-24 inch leader and a small circle hook with stinger and light northern suckers for bait. I've caught 14 inch sauger on large suckers! As well as many 20+ inch walleyes including this girl from last fall caught by my son. 30 inch maybe 10lbs.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1516.JPG (912.44 KB)
36401_58e82e65c9cf2.jpg 1940X2285 px

Posted on: 4/7 19:28:00

Staff Team
Hvacguy, First of all Welcome to LSF and wow what a great first post. Great to see the young ones out in the boat and not playing on the game pads. Great advice and you guys are so lucky to fish that great river whenever you can. For me I will be back up soon to fight the mighty channel catfish in that great river...........Kirk

Posted on: 4/8 16:08:22

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

Posted on: 4/10 7:06:49

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page