Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

2 cycle oil
LSF Member
I have been running resolute oil from fleet farm now I'm going with Johnson evinrude brand was woundering what type to use and do I have to drain my old oil out first

Thanks Tj

Posted on: 3/19 14:01:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 2 cycle oil
LSF Member
I forgot to mention I have a 1998 90hp Johnson

Posted on: 3/19 14:13:27

LSF Member
From East Bethel
I bought Quicksilver once!! Fowled up my motor bad!! I run a Merc so the only oil I use is the Opti oil. You probably wouldn't be wrong to drain the old oil.

Posted on: 3/19 14:41:06

LSF Member
Ran merc 2 strokes( pro xs) for a lot of years , stick to name brand oil.
With my last outboard costing over 18k I will stick to manufactures oil.
I do run wallmart full synthetic in my 16 year old winter truck

Posted on: 3/19 15:48:56

LSF Member
From Farmington MN
One of the standards for TCW3 oil is that it is compatible with and will mix with other TCW3 oils.

Posted on: 3/19 16:39:45

LSF Member
There is difinently a difference in oils even if they have certification, years ago I ran some off brands and you could see it on the prop and the belly pan of the snowmobiles, aka black soot.
The oil may meet the standards but how clean does it burn?
Amsol at one time( maybe still) said it was best to run the exsisting oil down before changing to Amsol.
I would not get to worked up about changing brands on a 90hp motor.
A 90hp is not a HO motor.

Posted on: 3/19 20:01:49

LSF Member
From Savage, MN
The ONLY oil I run in my outboards (and everything else for that matter) is AMSoil. I use HP Injector from AMSoil in my 115 ETEC and in my 7.5 Evinrude kicker. Never had an issue.

Posted on: 3/20 12:49:45

LSF Member
From Granite Falls/Breckenridge
if you suck the oil oil out of you bulk tank i would sugguest running mixed gas in tank, until you can verify that it is using oil again if you create a air bubble in your oil pickup linen

Posted on: 3/28 16:20:46

LSF Member
People still get caught up on the "Name Brand" oils. Check the manufacturer of the name brand oil, I guarantee it is made by one of the off brand companies. If it meets the TCW3 standard, it is good enough to run in your 2-stroke motors. I will agree, some do burn cleaner than others, and that is a difference, and you pay for that. But if you buy an off brand, smokeless oil, you are getting the same thing. AMSOIL is one of the best oils out there, in my opinion, but the oils like cheap Mystic from Fleet Farm work just as well. Check out how many snowmobile racing teams are using Mystic, cheap off brand oil.

As far as mixing, the biggest thing is that you don't want to mix regular oil with synthetic in your tank. If you are changing from regular to synthetic, or even semi-synthetic, run your tank as low as possible, or best case drain the last little bit out, then put in the new. If you are going to keep the same, mixing shouldn't be an issue, but I would still run it as low as possible, just in case.

Posted on: 3/29 7:06:32

LSF Member
From Park Rapids
i am an amsoil dealer. I have been selling it for 10 years now. that being said, I have a hard time running anything else.

Posted on: 3/29 9:04:41

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page