Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

How will DNR enforce not fishing for walleye?
LSF Member
When the big pond closes for 3 weeks in July how will the DNR determine if you are fishing for walleye as opposed to other species? Smallmouth, northern, and perch fishing use most all of the same techniques; aside from maybe lindy-rigging deep reefs, but even then you can catch perch and bass. I want to know what is the fine-line for enforcement?

Posted on: 3/21 18:44:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: How will DNR enforce not fishing for walleye?
LSF Member
I thought the same thing when I saw the rules

Posted on: 3/21 18:57:15

LSF Member
From Minnesota
The same way they did last year after the season closed. They won't. Frankly I don't think the DNR will care either way.

Posted on: 3/21 20:14:57

LSF Member
From Platte Lake, Minnesocold
Quote:

Wildbilldanger wrote:
When the big pond closes for 3 weeks in July how will the DNR determine if you are fishing for walleye as opposed to other species? Smallmouth, northern, and perch fishing use most all of the same techniques; aside from maybe lindy-rigging deep reefs, but even then you can catch perch and bass. I want to know what is the fine-line for enforcement?
I believe they will forbid the use of all traditional walleye live bait and suckers must be at least 8 inches.

Posted on: 3/22 5:25:07

LSF Member
From Secret X
Also I think of they catch us dragging tail dancers or hornets with lead or riggers it's a dead giveaway your targeting walleye and will get a ticket

Posted on: 3/22 5:56:41

LSF Member
From Fargo
Yeah I thought I read that during that closed period live bait isn't allowed at all...not positive tho

Posted on: 3/22 8:03:20

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Yes live bait must be eight inches long so the musky guys can still drag suckers. It is basically closing for the highest hook mortality season so to extend the season as long as possible. Really nothing has changed from last year except a three week closure during July. Round and Round we go.

Posted on: 3/22 8:17:32

LSF Member
From St. Cloud
Quote:

smackem33 wrote:
Also I think of they catch us dragging tail dancers or hornets with lead or riggers it's a dead giveaway your targeting walleye and will get a ticket

Why? I catch plenty of pike on tail dancers while fishing Rainy and Otter Tail. I bet they'd be equally successful for the toothy critters on Mille Lacs.

Haven't the charters on the lake been fishing for small mouth this last year or two? Are they live bait rigging or do they have 20 people chucking crank baits off the side at once?

Posted on: 3/22 9:16:40

LSF Member
From S.W. Wright Co.
Quote:

Wildbilldanger wrote:

The same way they enforce the law when people are fishing crappies the first week of May with a quarter ounce spinnerbait and all they are catching are" accidental bass".

Posted on: 3/22 11:04:43

LSF Member
The Kids that want to pan fish or perch fish will probably take it on the chin again.

Nothing allowed on the lake but Northern or Muskie rigs.

(smh)

Posted on: 3/22 11:38:51

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page