Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: How will DNR enforce not fishing for walleye?
LSF Member
Enforcement will be tough and likely spotty. Although having the rule on the books usually ensures that the majority of the people will follow it as most people tend to be rule followers.

Of course you'll get a few that don't know the rules, a few that will "claim" they don't know the rules, and a few that will openly disregard the rules. They will catch a few of them, hopefully just enough to make the rest of them rethink their choices.

If they see someone breaking the rules it shouldn't be that hard to enforce. Live bait (8+" suckers excluded) is an automatic ticket. The hard part is guys fishing plastics for bass or perch, the CO will have to make a judgement call and I'm guessing most will get off with a warning and will be told to switch gear or move along for the day. Or maybe the CO finds something else in the boat to fine them for that normally they'd let them off with a warning for.

Posted on: 3/22 13:21:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Minnesota
First there will have to be CO's as I have not seen one on the actual lake in quite a few years.

Posted on: 3/22 14:16:01

LSF Member
Burden of proof!!!(Thought i'd mention since the ice is getting thin) c63

Posted on: 3/22 17:58:00

LSF Member
Quote:

chris63 wrote:
Burden of proof!!!(Thought i'd mention since the ice is getting thin) c63

It's the MNDNR!

Guilty until Proven Innocent

Posted on: 3/22 18:35:01

LSF Member
We must look guilty as we get checked early ice every year(portables) for 10 or more,,,,,,out of the last ten years (permy) been checked twice.In summer only remember being checked once in 45 years..........missed a few years as I was stationed out of country in military but try to make it out every year!!!!!!c63

Posted on: 3/25 17:43:25

LSF Member
From Minneapolis & Myr Mar Villas
Quote:

WANNABEINOTC wrote:
Quote:

smackem33 wrote:
Also I think of they catch us dragging tail dancers or hornets with lead or riggers it's a dead giveaway your targeting walleye and will get a ticket

Why? I catch plenty of pike on tail dancers while fishing Rainy and Otter Tail. I bet they'd be equally successful for the toothy critters on Mille Lacs.

Haven't the charters on the lake been fishing for small mouth this last year or two? Are they live bait rigging or do they have 20 people chucking crank baits off the side at once?

Yes, this closure will most likely keep the launches (charters) tied to the docks because they do rig up exclusively with live bait rigs. I think you would have a strong argument pulling cranks shallow for pike but not a strong argument for doing the same out on a mud flat using leadcore. As far as pitching plastics you'd hope they would allow that since it is a popular smallmouth method. They would have to expect those legally fishing the lake during that time will be chasing smallies.
On a related note there at least two resorts that kept their rental ice houses out after the winter walleye season closed. Ya know..."wink-wink" for perch fishing. After seeing numerous posts of walleye pics, it was obvious what they were up to. Carefull not to judge that, legal but clearly not within the "spirit of the law".
Just made me have a little less respect for those places. Would have to put more of the blame on the angler guests because they knew how they were fishing, but then for the resorts to post the pictures??

Posted on: 3/25 18:13:45

LSF Member
Almost impossible to ticket for closed species violation while using artificial baits.If bass and northern are open how can you violate while targeting them ANYwhere in the body of water in question?If your going to close,close it for any and all fishing by humans!!How will the DNR/Legislators keep the bass and pike from eating/targeting the "overfished"poor walleyes.c63

Posted on: 3/25 20:00:53

LSF Member
BTW has anybody heard of anyone being ticketed for targeting walleye out of season,ever?????c63

Posted on: 3/25 20:03:39

LSF Member
From Minneapolis & Myr Mar Villas
Quote:

chris63 wrote:
BTW has anybody heard of anyone being ticketed for targeting walleye out of season,ever?????c63

Or any specie for that matter. Suppose that was the valid question offered by the OP. Obvious situations when/where fishing totally out of season or in sanctuary areas. No doubt a casual or lax(?) enforcement.
On the other foot...heard about a group on URL that setup for the shore lunch meal, which is allowed as long as daily bag and possesion limits were compliant which they were. They had filleted their daily limit and were preparing to cook for the shore lunch. CO moved in, questioned and then cited them for having the fillets in a plastic bag. Because of that they had removed themselves of being in the " process if preparing" a meal. Bizarre logic! Not knocking hard on the CO's, tough job for sure. Just the point of misguided enforcement priorities?

Posted on: 3/25 21:17:59

LSF Member
Then the question of citations for violations or citations for quotas..............each region has different "unofficial"standards.c63

Posted on: 3/25 21:26:50

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page