Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Outboard Mechanic Needed
LSF Member
From Eagan
Good Morning,

I am looking for outboard mechanic recommendations in the metro area. Sometimes some of the great smaller out of the garage guys do not show up when searching online. Looking to have my 1986 40hp Evinrude worked on.

Thank you for your help,

Posted on: 3/23 10:58:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Outboard Mechanic Needed
Staff Team
From Bloomington
Shakopee Marine

Posted on: 3/23 13:05:13

LSF Member
From Farmington MN
Recreational Repair in Farmington

Posted on: 3/23 14:34:28

LSF Member
From Mn
Quote:

Tork wrote:
Good Morning,

I am looking for outboard mechanic recommendations in the metro area. Sometimes some of the great smaller out of the garage guys do not show up when searching online. Looking to have my 1986 40hp Evinrude worked on.

Thank you for your help,

Tork whats the motor doing to get you to ask for a mechanic? 1986 is getting into the years lots a shops dont touch anymore. I been out of outboard repair of older motors since 2013 ,I seldom did work for general public, mostly friends and their friends.I bought repaired an sold as a time consuming retired auldphart being bored. Had some surgeries an am back on my feet.Course I am not near you I am near Willmar,Mn
Just wondering what the problem is?
Heres a assumption that was an is common problem on those motors from the mid 70s on.Does it run great when started and within a 1/2 mile a running it just quits?? an wont start till rested a few hours then the problem repeats??
Anyway what do you have as a problem?/

Posted on: 3/23 16:26:50

LSF Member
From Eagan
Dew2 -

If it has been sitting for a while it will start fine and run great for a little while but then eventually will drop down to 20% (give or take) power. Once this happens, it will only run with any kind of power if the choke is held open. It will start right up after this happens but only run at the 20% power. Then if i let it sit for (lets say a couple days) it will run great for i would say 1/2 mile sounds right and then repeat the failure.

Posted on: 3/24 8:13:06

LSF Member
Supreme Marine in Minneapolis works on the older motors, especially Mercury. I think they work on other brands too.

Posted on: 3/25 9:14:34

LSF Member
From Mn
Quote:

Tork wrote:
Dew2 -

If it has been sitting for a while it will start fine and run great for a little while but then eventually will drop down to 20% (give or take) power. Once this happens, it will only run with any kind of power if the choke is held open. It will start right up after this happens but only run at the 20% power. Then if i let it sit for (lets say a couple days) it will run great for i would say 1/2 mile sounds right and then repeat the failure.

Tork I can make some guesses at your problem that most shops will bypass,Actually a cure for it.I dont come here much to LSF but if you PM me with your phone # and a best time to call,I can make some suggestions of how to deal with a shop that will missdiagnosis that problem cause its time consuming and with you saying "if I choke it it seems to run a bit better" They will always go to the fuel supply when yer problem is under the flywheel,cant be diagonsised without running till the problem happens then needs a OHM test which is something not done these days!!Shops want to computer diagnosis and that motor dont have the modernday setup Its old time mechanics and there far an few between! goodones anyway.
I also quit giving outboard advise on LSf cause I'm just another confusing post and so many dont know much but post their fixes an opinions anyway.Just use snake oil Seafome it fixes anything!

Posted on: 3/25 16:32:46

LSF Member
From Minneapolis & Myr Mar Villas
Dew2, I don't have a problem with my outboard...yet! What you are saying just capsules where we are today. If it's old and not working...just get rid of it and replace it with something new. Just like our workforce now. Only thing is, that old motor could work fine! No matter, disposable society now. Just replace us.
We'll be fine though, lived through the up "n" downs.
Sorry to take this off topic, Hannays in Minneapolis used to be good with Evinrude repair, and also Supreme. Just seems like all the places that used to fix them just now want to sell you a new one.

Posted on: 3/25 21:58:11

LSF Member
From Eagan
No need to apologize, looking forward to speaking with Dew to get this resolved.

Posted on: 3/25 22:22:23

LSF Member
From GODS country
Supreme does a excellent job at fixing older motors.
They fixed my 97 up and it runs like a champ.

Posted on: 3/26 9:58:36

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page