Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 4 »

Spring Turkey
Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Gearing up for my first spring turkey season, any real good advice for a beginner. I have a box call, ground blind, and shotgun and shells, 2 decoys. Anything critical I should be looking to buy?

For the ground blind I'm looking for some advice. I'll be hunting land that has open field on one side and wooded area on the other. Should I set the ground blind up in the tree line and decoys out in the open? Set the ground blind up in some brush in the open and decoys next to tree line? Should I forgo the ground blind all together and just make a brush blind up against a tree? I'll probably set up the ground blind regardless so i can hunt more comfortably in bad weather.

I have plenty of camo tops but any recommendations on camo pants? Maybe waterproof ones?

Mornings or afternoon/evenings the best?

Just getting into this to bridge the gap between fishing seasons. Any advice is great. Thanks

Posted on: 3/24 11:40:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Spring Turkey
Field Staff
From Eastern SD & SW MN
I'm by no means a turkey expert, but I have shot a few of them in the Spring. There's nothing like it, super fun watching a big Tom come strutting into the spread.

If it were me, I would set up the blind on the edge of the timber and cover the blind in brush to help it blend in a little bit, and have the decoys out in the clearing. I wouldn't sit out in the open because it is very hard to not spook a Turkey unless you can sit dead still. They have incredible eyesight. I've also had equal success in morning/evenings, just make sure you're on their route to the roost and you'll be fine.

Good luck - post some pictures if you get one!

Posted on: 3/24 13:05:27

LSF Member
From Thief River Falls
If you are using shotgun, a blind is nice but unnecessary. I have always sat against a tree with no cover in front of me and have killed turkeys like that with no problems. I usually try to sit back in the woods a little ways and not right on the edge of the field but have killed turkeys just sitting against a tree out in the open.

I would recommend a turkey vest with a butt pad and back support. They are nice for being mobile which is my favorite way to hunt turkeys. If nothing else, they sell little chairs that are basically just a seat with no backrest but they have longer legs in front and shorter in the back, those are nice for sitting against trees also.

mornings are best but I have killed turkeys at just about anytime of the day. afternoons can be good because they are looking for a new hen to breed after they are done with their morning hens.

Your going to want rubber boots for sure. waterproof pants are nice but I like the quietest camo pants I can find. Jake and hen decoy are always a good combo. try learn the mouth call, especially if you will be hunting alone. A slate call is also a must have for me. I do 90% of my calling with a slate call.

Hope that helps. Good Luck!

Posted on: 3/24 13:09:39

LSF Member
From Duluth
Myself have found a couple mouth reeds handy. Shot when the birds were to far away my first season. Never use a ground blind,but only because I move & run-gun a lot. Will be nice for bad weather though. You seem to have the gear covered. Depending on the season hunted my camo will be more brown early vs greens later,or adapted to the woods/vegetation hunting. Taking birds from brush blind has worked as well. But have also been successful calling birds I bumped off roost walking in. Improvised every season,trust your instincts. Morning seems best. Treat your clothing for ticks ,shoot your weapon so you know the group. Have fun it's a good time. Be safe.

Posted on: 3/24 13:20:24

LSF Member
From Pelican Rapids, MN
Some think I live for Minnesota spring turkey season. I used to drive 400 miles from one end of the state to the other to hunt them. They fooled me a bunch but I've gotten even a bunch too.

First thing is the patterning of the gun to be confident in your killing range. I use 3" # 4 or #6 with an extra full choke. Pace off 35 yards out front and to the sides from your blind and put a branch to mark your kill zone. I've taken them at 45 yards and tried at 60 yards but couldn't drop him. Put the decoys at 12 to 15 yards with the jake facing right at you.

Put the blind in the woods up to the edge. Place branches on and beside it to blend in. Dead grasses work good too. It's all about concealment and quiet.

Since you're in a blind you won't need camo pants but they're good to have if you have to move out without the blind. Your top and hat should be black. I also wear a face mask. A cushioned seat is important. In a blind you will want to have a small folding chair so you can get up to shoot out the windows. The small turkey seat is great for a no blind situation.

The box call is fine. I use a mouth call and a slate call. Learn the yelps and learn to do them loud. Then learn to make the absolutely quietest sounds possible on the slate. It will drive the tom nuts. Trust me.

Learn to be patient and make the birds come to you. Like Joe said you will learn to improvise something every time. have a blast!!

Posted on: 3/24 16:08:13

LSF Member
From Pelican Rapids, MN
One other important detail. I said to wear black in the blind. The darkness in the blind will match well with the black top and facemask. But..., do not wear black when sitting outside of the blind as this looks like a turkey sitting there and is dangerous. Wear appropriate camo outside the blind. Then also deal with the tick issue.

Posted on: 3/24 16:29:36

LSF Member
From mora mn
Scouting is big for me. Find where the birds are roosting and set up close to them with out bumping.

Posted on: 3/24 18:18:43

besides all the turkey stuff get your yourself a jug of spray on permethrin and use it liberally on clothes before you hit the woods. It works to keep the ticks off.

Dan

Posted on: 3/24 20:12:02

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Awesome advice so far guys. I really appreciate it.

For the decoys, you said place the tom facing me, where should I place the hen?

As far as scouting, the land i'm hunting is only 20 acres and the turkeys roost in the woods next door (the property line goes about 15-20 yards into the tree line of the woods) but not much to scout. If they are there they will be close.

I plan on patterning my shotgun when I go set the blind up next week.

In the blind do you guys keep the windows behind you closed to help conceal you better or do you like to have them open to see what's behind you?

Posted on: 3/25 8:03:17

LSF Member
From Benedict
I personally set up on edge or corner of field set decoys range needed I used two hens last year shot tom first day jake and hen decoy works GREAT if first couple mornings don't get nothing I stalk and kill I use my owl call find where they are roosting get close set up (no blind) in brush and I just bring a hen decoy and drop him I've shot a few toms this way.for calls I use slate/box/mouth I use a mouth call most but when a tom wants two hens box and mouth works great...have a great season, good luck, and be safe!

Posted on: 3/26 20:46:06

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page