Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Spring Turkey
LSF Member
Where can you pattern a shotgun in the west metro?

Posted on: 3/26 22:18:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Pelican Rapids, MN
I keep the back windows closed so it remains black inside the blind. You will listen close for the birds walking in behind you. It's great when they step out from right beside the blind. Put the hen decoy 4-10 yards to the side of the jake. The jake faces you so when the tom comes to square off with the jake he will likely be facing the decoy. This means he is facing away from you with his tail fan up so he can't see you move to get the gun up. Remember turkeys have peripheral vision of 270 degrees. That being said you may have 5 hens and 3 toms all over your set up so a lot of eyes are watching you. Enjoy the show.

Posted on: 3/27 16:26:04

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
What's your favorite way to clean a bird?

Posted on: 3/29 15:40:14

LSF Member
From Pelican Rapids, MN
I always breast out any bird I hunt for. I will try to harvest the thigh meat for grinding into burger as well. Since turkeys mainly walk and run, their leg muscles are very tough meat. I've tried the crock pot but this meat is just too tough for anything but grinding to burger.

The worst way to cook a wild turkey is by roasting it like your thanksgiving bird. It dries out too fast in the oven. I fillet the breast meat off the ribs and cut it into small cubes. Freeze in vacuum seal bags just enough for a meal in each bag. Marinate the cubed meat in zesty Italian dressing all day. Brown it in olive oil until done. Add a jar of alfredo sauce and chopped black olives or mushrooms. Serve over pasta. You're there. Very easy and excellent eating.

Posted on: 3/30 9:49:19

LSF Member
From Pelican Rapids, MN
Another thing. Don't practice your calling on the flock of birds that you intend to hunt. It is tempting when you are scouting but it educates them. Your calls don't have to be made to perfection as birds are also awful callers. If the birds are close to your setup, just make 5 very light yelps and wait for a response. If you get a gobble response, repeat the same 5 yelps lightly. If he gobbles again, repeat one more time then set the call down and get the gun ready. Patients is key now. He will come to check out who made the calls.

Posted on: 3/30 9:58:29

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Cool thanks for the advice. I've practice my calls a couple times on the turkeys that live along the creek in south MPLS. I don't want to mess with the turkeys i'll be hunting. Prefer to leave them alone as much as possible until opening morning.

Posted on: 3/30 11:57:24

LSF Member
From Thief River Falls
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this to you or not, but one other thing that is nice to have is a crow and/or owl call. They work really well for getting the birds to gobble on the roost. I have gone into the woods in the morning without scouting and just got in there real early and started walking trails blowing my crow call until I heard a gobble and then set up close to the birds and gotten a tom. I have done that at least 2 or 3 times. It works good to locate them just after dark too when they get up in the roost so you know where to go for the morning.

Posted on: 3/30 15:45:52

LSF Member
From Duluth
That's the thing about turkey hunting,,,so many different ways you can hunt,it never does seem to get old,got a couple with the crow calling too. Nephew just bought a new bow,so got a new ground blind from cabela's on the way. First time going with bow,should be fun. Beware of turkey (buck) fever too.but it's all good! Be safe.

Posted on: 3/30 16:01:04

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Got my ground blind set up today and patterned out the shotgun to decide which shells to use. Getting excited now. It was nice to get out and shoot some cardboard targets!

Lots of sand hill cranes around and could hear plenty of grouse and pheasants but didn't see any except for while driving.

Posted on: 4/2 17:09:25

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
One last noob question (OK maybe no the last but it could be).

For the hen decoy should I set it up in a submissive, content, or upright position with my jake decoy?

Posted on: 4/14 9:49:09

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page