Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Spring Turkey
LSF Member
From Duluth
I have been using only one decoy for years,,,doesn't seem to matter,do what seems right at the time. With all the prep you've done I'd like to think your set up will score. Good luck and be safe

Posted on: 4/14 15:58:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Well first day of turkey hunting ever for me is in the books. The weather was miserable, rained all morning until about 11am. I wasn't successful because I didn't shoot one but I wouldn't call it a failed hunt either.

I got my first gobble about 1pm. Was a long ways away. After 10 mins I called again and instantly gobbled back, a little closer. 10 mins later called again and instant gobble, now I could tell he was on top of a hill across a road. I didn't need to call again as he gobbled once every minute or two for a while as he worked his way closer. Then no gobble for 5 mins so I called again and he popped up on the road (150 yards away or so) and was beelining it for me so I didn't want to move again. He got to about 75 yards, gobbled and started strutting. I don't think he was a very old bird, his tail fathers didn't seem too long but from that distance it was hard for me to tell and didn't want to pull the binoculars out because he was staring at me the whole time. He did his thing for a few mins (seemed like forever) then started walking away so I gave him a couple clucks and purr, he stopped turned and walked about 10 yards closer, gobbled again, did some strutting, turned and started walking away. So I hit him with the same cluck/purr sequence as last time but no response. He was about to hit the tree line so I hit him with the full call from earlier, he paused then beelined it into the trees (I was made).

The whole process took a good hour and I think my heart rate was around 170 the whole time. Any ideas what I did wrong? Was it my jake and hen decoy should I only have just a hen? Should I have not given him the clucks/purrs? Just the luck of the draw? I work today but I'll be going back out Saturday. The weather will be nice this time so hopefully I get some earlier gobblers.

Posted on: 4/21 8:05:11

LSF Member
From In a van down by the river
I dont think anyone can really analyze what they did wrong with turkeys. They are finicky creatures by nature. It seems anything out of the ordinary spooks them. The only way to get the upper hand on them is to go out every chance you get. I got within 30 yds of the roost, two gobblers mad as heck, I clucked a little and they flew down to about 15 yds. I get my bow drawn back, and out of nowhere comes a coyote.

My point is that bad luck is a given with turkeys (in my experience). But they will slip up at some point. Just gotta get out there. Dont overthink them, get a general idea or pattern where they roost and set up. I battle internally with turkeys everyday so i may not have been much help, but I hope you understand its usually them and not you.

Posted on: 4/21 8:52:53

LSF Member
From Duluth
I have found some of the unfortunate attempts at bagging game to be the most interesting,memorable experiences one can have,especially solo. Hunting is just that,hunting. It's a combination of all things mentioned here that we learn from. Like GDP said,get back out there,but start thinking about when he closes the distance from 65 to 15,it's coming. Be safe.

Posted on: 4/21 9:51:23

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I'm not letting it bother me. It was very cool to see and a memory I'm sure I won't forget anytime soon. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something blatantly wrong as this is the first time I've tried turkey hunting.

I'll be back out there tomorrow morning.

Posted on: 4/21 10:22:24

LSF Member
From mora mn
I was out this morning also. Set up 100 yards from 2 roosted Tom's( watched last night) they flew down opposite of where I wanted. They strutted for a while then started to come in. They got within 50 and 3 Jakes and a ton came from over the hill and ran em off. They came back few minutes later to 35 yards and the 4 ran em off again but for good this time. Before I left there was 8 birds strutting g in feild and bunch of hens. Wife will be with me tomorrow with shotgun so hopefully we can get her her first bird

Posted on: 4/21 10:43:02

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Well my season is over. Didn't get a turkey but it was sure fun trying and the weather was nicer Saturday than it was on Thursday that's for sure. I had high hopes as I hiked in Saturday morning. I could hear at least 3 different gobblers when setting up. I only have 20 acres so i couldn't hike farther and get close to them. When the sun came up they gobbled for another hour or so, even responding to my calls but they never came closer. Assuming they already had hens? Oh well. I had a pheasant hen walk through my set, then a rooster not far behind her and around 11 AM I had 6 deer walk almost right up to me before they realized i was there. I won't be able to hunt the later open season but I'm already excited to try it again next year.

Good luck out there.

Posted on: 4/23 11:10:09

Staff Team
From Bloomington
I finally got out. I have done season A before and had to wait for season B this year. I could have gotten one Friday night setting up the blind. I chose to sit and watch the patterns of the two groups I could see. That paid off nicely.

I saw 15 birds between Friday night and Saturday night. Plus Geese, ducks, Sandhill Cranes, deer and a Fox so it was entertaining for sure.

I passed on a Tom Sat am. He wasn't interested in my decoys at all. He seemed very focused one the direction of the guy I was hunting with and was just a bit too far for me to feel it was a for sure shot. He was heading the right way then all of a sudden made a 90 degree turn into the woods. That is the one pic.

Saturday evening I had a group of 5 milling around that offered the perfect shot. A great head shot at 39 yards. I am loving the new choke tube.

Attach file:

jpg  turkey2small.jpg (390.24 KB)
5905_58fe4581d5276.jpg 908X908 px

jpg  turkey2017small.jpg (804.39 KB)
5905_58fe4590873f1.jpg 908X1210 px

Posted on: 4/24 13:35:06

LSF Member
From Duluth
X2 on the new choke tubes. All the extra activity makes it even better when you're afield. Sounds like a good time,nice bird,thanks for sharing.

Posted on: 4/24 15:21:57

LSF Member
#1 way to kill a turkey is to have PATIENCE! This is the number one way to kill a turkey, the longer you sit in an area with turkeys one will come.

My other advice is just because something doesn't work one time it won't the next. You'd swear a turkey won't come do your decoys after a few days then one comes sprinting from 200 yards away right to it. Just never know. They are moody as hell, alot depends on weather, time of year, etc. There a hundreds of ways to kill them, call em, decoy em, stalk them, reap them. My new favorite way on private land is using a MOJO Shoot n scoot and crawling right at them when they are out in open fields its crazy fun(MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON PRIVATE LAND AND KNOW WHO ELSE IS OUT THERE).

Also, you can pop up a blind right in the middle of a plowed field, they don't care as long as you seal the back and sides tight and wear black so there is no see through. I've killed a bunch in them middle of a 20 acre field where they pitch right into out in the open with a blind.

Alot of guys try to get them off the roost, its fun you get to hear lots of gobbles but most the time it doesn't pan out unless you guess right, they will go whatever way the hens decide to go that given day. Magic time is 8:30-10:30, if you have them firing back at you off the roost just wait and most the time they will work their way back, they remember where you were.

My next quest is to run and gun them with a bow and see if I can kill one with a stick and string not in a blind.

Posted on: 4/25 9:54:24

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page