Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

iPilot - Yea or Nay?
LSF Member
Looking for suggestions on iPilot value, not in $$'s but in usefulness.

I currently have a small fishing boat, tiller, works OK for what I need, and it has a 25hp 4-stroke on it, and it have an original Minn Kota PowerDrive bow trolling motor. I use the trolling motor a reasonable about of time during the fishing season, but I use the 25hp for trolling a lot too since it is so quiet, efficient and can troll down slow. The cord for the trolling motor is long enough that I can put it back by the transom, so I can run it from there.

I get all the benefits of the iPilot, with the GPS, track following, spot lock, wireless remote, etc... And I do get frustrated at times with my current setup not being able to react to winds, current, or staying on the correct contour depth.

But...a new 12v PD V2 w/ iPilot runs over $1k. Is it really worth that money? I know I can recoup some of that in resale which may come into play as I have also thrown around the idea of upgrading boats. But is it really worth it?

Any suggestions? If you have one, would you buy it again? If you don't have one, do you have any desire to get one?

Thanks!!!

Posted on: 3/24 13:57:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: iPilot - Yea or Nay?
LSF Member
From Thief River Falls
i'll put it this way, I had it and now I don't and I wish I had it every time I go out

Posted on: 3/24 14:24:57

LSF Member
From St Michael
It was an absolute game changer for me! I was in a bit of a different boat than you. I had installed a power drive v2 motor on my boat without iPilot. I fished it for a a season before buying the $450 iPilot upgrade. I was nervous if it would be worth it. I will never buy another motor without it. I love the spot lock feature and then smart autopilot feature. For me though, the feature that was the most effective was the where you can record and retrace paths through the water. I went to my local lake and used the big motor to drive a path right along the docks that I wanted to fish. I then pressed the retrace button, and the motor took me right back over the same path. I didn't need to think at all about the docks or the boat control, just the fishing. And then that same track is stored for ever, or until I overwrite it. It's amazing.
Dan

Posted on: 3/24 14:28:32

LSF Member
From Minnesota
I would not have a boat without one. With that said I have a different set up than you as my boat is a bit bigger and not a tiller...I have had I pilot on my last two boats and if the battery died or something on the remote I think I would head to shore for the day...I can't imaging fishing now without it.

Posted on: 3/24 14:29:55

Staff Team
From Monticello/Paynesville
Hands down, worth every penny. It's the most useful tool I have on my boat after my graph. If you are purchasing new, it's much more price friendly to purchase with the iPilot vs. adding the system later on down the road. If you can swing it, go for the Terrova which allows you to have both remote and foot controls. The remote can be tough going in the wind if you are casting as you will be adjusting direction frequently and you'll need a free hand to do so.

Posted on: 3/24 14:31:51

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
I use the I-pilot features EVERY single time I go fishing, unless I have to anchor up due to wind. I would sacrifice a lot of other things before that.

Posted on: 3/24 14:37:42

LSF Member
From Duluth
Well,,,I don't have one.But I will. Save up a few more Cabela points and getter on sale. Was just going to get a co-pilot remote add-on,but this is more in line with what I myself can benefit from. Didn't realize this model was available. SOLD ,but also run a 2stroke.

Posted on: 3/24 15:37:11

LSF Member
From Linwood, MN
It is amazing how much you miss it once you fish with it and then go out on a boat without it. Huge advantage. Also, really good if you fish buy yourself to use the "anchor" mode to hold you in a spot when catching a fish or if you get snagged

Posted on: 3/24 15:53:00

LSF Member
From Blaine
Quote:

backup63 wrote:
It was an absolute game changer for me! I was in a bit of a different boat than you. I had installed a power drive v2 motor on my boat without iPilot. I fished it for a a season before buying the $450 iPilot upgrade. I was nervous if it would be worth it. I will never buy another motor without it. I love the spot lock feature and then smart autopilot feature. For me though, the feature that was the most effective was the where you can record and retrace paths through the water. I went to my local lake and used the big motor to drive a path right along the docks that I wanted to fish. I then pressed the retrace button, and the motor took me right back over the same path. I didn't need to think at all about the docks or the boat control, just the fishing. And then that same track is stored for ever, or until I overwrite it. It's amazing.
Dan

I'm new to my ipilot terrova. Only used it a few times last season, looking forward to a full season with it. Does that feature only work with link, or is it a stand-alone ipilot deal? I don't have link...

Posted on: 3/24 17:53:42

LSF Member
I went all in and got Terrova with Link, paired with a Helix 10, i figured it might be my once in a lifetime new boat so why hold back. On many lakes I don't bother starting the gas motor. On new water I win... I map the weedline from 100' away using SI so I don't have to drive over it and then retrace. With pounding winds I put it on follow the contour, bump up the speed and fish the windward side of an island where most are afraid to go. Number one benefit is for you the captain, when you can fish for an hour without touching anything my odds/numbers go way up.

Posted on: 3/24 20:00:02

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page