Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

How many ice rods
LSF Member
From Hibbing, MN
How many ice rods is reasonable and acceptable? Last fall I ordered a couple custom ice rods for panfish. I LOVE THEM! I already called the builder and ordered two light walleye/perch rods for next season. But I'm debating on ordering a second pair of the "precision noodle" style rods I bought last fall. BUT I cannot help but beg the question, "is it nuts to have 4 of the same rods set up with 2-4 different presentations?

I plan on using the light walleye/perch rods for 1/8 ounce jigging tackle for big crappie and gills. So, is it crazy to have 2 rods running tungsten jigs/plastics, two rods running 1/16 ounce jigging tackle and two rods for a little heavier tackle?

Posted on: 3/28 15:37:40

Re: How many ice rods
LSF Member
From Lakeville, MN
Of course not!

Now, the wife may disagree with that, just a bit.. :)

Posted on: 3/28 15:45:52
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Hibbing, MN
Quote:

Joe27 wrote:
Of course not!

Now, the wife may disagree with that, just a bit.. :)

The wife simply stopped asking. If something arrives, she just shakes her head.

Posted on: 3/28 15:48:55

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
I have a close relative that buys a $70 carton of cigarettes every 5 days.....,

You can't spend enough on ice rods to out-crazy that. Buy on, my friend, buy on!

SL

Posted on: 3/28 18:50:58

LSF Member
From Manitowoc county
What kind of rod did u buy? I am looking for a power noodle type rod for next year.

Posted on: 3/28 19:09:12

LSF Member
From Hibbing, MN
Quote:

jriegel wrote:
What kind of rod did u buy? I am looking for a power noodle type rod for next year.

I have a friend who custom builds rods for friends. I believe he uses the same blanks as TUCR. Mine are the same as he 32" precision noodle.

Posted on: 3/29 7:18:34

LSF Member
From Secret X
Seems a Lil over kill. I can't justify having two of the exact same rod and reel set ups just to save less than a minute between jig changes. Unless it takes u ten minutes to cut line and tie a knot?

Posted on: 3/29 7:51:19

LSF Member
From St.Michael, New Ulm
52 seems like a good number. Never can have too many!

Posted on: 3/29 8:20:08

LSF Member
From Hayward
Like Beer , Bait , and Gas , you can never have enuff rods and tackle. 7 in the walleye bag, 8 in the crappie bag, 12 in the wheel house, and 6 or 8 more lying around . And don't forget tip-ups and rattle-wheels

Posted on: 3/29 8:24:32

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Quote:

Shortline wrote:
I have a close relative that buys a $70 carton of cigarettes every 5 days.....,

You can't spend enough on ice rods to out-crazy that. Buy on, my friend, buy on!

SL

Best justification ever!!! lol

I have 4 custom rods that I use all the time. I tried a inline this year and am not a fan, I will keep it as a back up. I also have one combo that I use rubber gloves to touch. That one is for "other people".

I have become a snob. I have found I prefer to have a few of my favorites and stick with them.

My wife and I were at GM in Rogers last weekend and all ice fishing stuff was %30 off. She wanted to have a rod that was hers for the two times she fished. She picked out a few different combos. ranging from $25 - $75. I looked at then, pointed out what I didn't like about them and said "I wounld't use that filth". The guy next to use put the rods he picked back and walked away. lol

So in my eyes if they are quality you still can't have too many if you use them.

Posted on: 3/29 8:37:47

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page