Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2)

Re: Dog advice wanted
LSF Member
From North Central MN
Quote:

Shortline wrote:
For the drop command, I have used a trick that an old pro gainer taught me. When yu grab the dummy/bird/ball etc, with your other hand take two fingers and gently lift on that flap of skin between the rear leg and the stomach....upward pressure on that is not associated with anything negative in emir mouth, and causes no pain. It does, however, totally distract them for an instant and they will turn towards the feeling and open their mouth. Several reps and it'll be second nature for them to drop......

Very very good! I forgot about that one!

Posted on: 2017/3/29 19:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Anonymous
Quote:

Shortline wrote:
For the drop command, I have used a trick that an old pro gainer taught me. When yu grab the dummy/bird/ball etc, with your other hand take two fingers and gently lift on that flap of skin between the rear leg and the stomach....upward pressure on that is not associated with anything negative in emir mouth, and causes no pain. It does, however, totally distract them for an instant and they will turn towards the feeling and open their mouth. Several reps and it'll be second nature for them to drop......

What would you do for a dog like mine, high energy vizsla? He won't come within 3 feet. Just wants to run/talk/growl(playfully) and try to get me to chase him. We turn our back and tell him "no". Which he often responds with what we call his "punches". Usually 1 or 2 front leg punches to the back of our legs/body. Or he takes his front paws and grabs a ankle like he's trying to trip you. He usually only does this with catch. But still stays out of reach of any kind. Otherwise he tends to be a halfway decent dog half of the time.

Posted on: 2017/3/29 20:26

LSF Member
From central mn
Nate,a50'check collar should do the trick,you'll have full control of the little ****...lol.

dokken and ron shara did a darn good video/dvd on trianing your retriever,came with my Tri Tronic collar,check with cabelas,they might have other training dvd's as well.

Posted on: 2017/3/31 11:03

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
Quote:

NateP wrote:
Quote:

Shortline wrote:

What would you do for a dog like mine, high energy vizsla? He won't come within 3 feet. Just wants to run/talk/growl(playfully) and try to get me to chase him. We turn our back and tell him "no". Which he often responds with what we call his "punches". Usually 1 or 2 front leg punches to the back of our legs/body. Or he takes his front paws and grabs a ankle like he's trying to trip you. He usually only does this with catch. But still stays out of reach of any kind. Otherwise he tends to be a halfway decent dog half of the time.

Personally, I would stop right there and back up to the basic obedience portion of training. Come, sit, whoa, need to be rock solid and never optional before any advanced training can take full hold.

Don't get me wrong - playtime is playtime - and I love playing and romping with the dogs and letting them be dogs just for dogs sake, but when I decide it's over, it needs to be MY call, not theirs.

I love high energy dogs that can be a pain..... you CAN harness and control that energy and enthusiasm, but if the dog doesn't have it to start with, you can't put it in em.... Sounds like your boy has the makings of a GREAT pooch. I would take a high energy A-Hole over a slug any day of the week!!

Posted on: 2017/3/31 11:45

LSF Member
From Duluth
Quote:

snow wrote:
Good info and very true,40yrs here as well with gun dogs,training tips change over the years,good book or training your retriever dvd is even better,take what info is there and use at your own discretion,nothing better than a well trained pup.In my old age I also went to a training collar on my current pup,helps with the pups selective memory and hearing in the field.Watching my dog work is what its all about for me,birds in the bag are a bonus.

Well said,,,after 6mo. of working with my dog,not using a collar based on all the horror stories from years gone by. I read,watched the DVD,talked about with several different people then finally put the collar on and started using it as DVD ,instructions detailed,WHAM,,,without being inhumane,they work. Once acclimated,corrections are made very rarely,my main reason for using this is for safety,stop at corner,won't eat unknown stuff when out and about,chase unwanted game etc.. plus it fine tuned basic commands. Have since encouraged several others in the neighborhood to try it out. Some do,some don't. Got a 400 yard cabela's collar for around home and a sport dog tech 1.0 for hunting. And he's still happy and active ,other than age,as the day I brought him home.

Posted on: 2017/3/31 13:03

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page