Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

What to look for in a guide?
Staff Team
From S.E. MN
When looking for a fishing guide what things are on your list to ask the guide?

One of my first questions will be are you Coast Guard certified?
List of references.
Is your guide a word of mouth guide that is reputable?

Let'a hear your ideas!

Trick

Posted on: 3/29 14:55:47

Re: What to look for in a guide?
LSF Member
From Hayward
Does the Guide donate to the fish stocking programs of the areas he fishes ?

Posted on: 3/29 16:17:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Minnesota
How they like to target the species the time of year you plan on using. They may fish a certain way that you may not want to do.

What kind of gear they use if you plan on using their gear.

Are they a solo guide or work with other guides. Bigger network to stay on fish.

Do they specialize is one species or are they multi species. May make a big difference if for instance you are going for walleyes in July or August and they are not cooperating if they can change plans and fish for something that may be biting.

How many years in service and how many years been guiding that particular body of water.

Just a few things I thought off the top of my head.

Posted on: 3/29 16:28:59

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Depends where you are fishing. As far as I know you don't need any license unless fishing border waters such as Rainy, Namakin, Crane, St. Croix river.

I just want to know what he / she has for a boat, experience, equipment, references ect.

Posted on: 3/29 17:06:50

LSF Member
All of the above..............and Google.

Posted on: 3/29 19:04:00

LSF Member
From andover
I've fished my entire life without a guide except one time. My wife and I rented a cabin up in Ely had no plans on getting a guide. I was talking to the owner of the resort and he mentioned that his son who just got out of high school has started guiding. he would take us up to Basswood for the day for $50 each. talked to my wife and we went. Ended up having a great time and caught lot's of walleye's.

Didn't ask any questions, just went. Figured I knew enough about fishing but didn't know the lake at that time. His dad must of spent a lot of time with him. He fixed us shore lunch as if he was a pro at it. Very friendly, knew his stuff and at the end of the day cleaned our catch for us.

This doesn't happen every day I know but this thread reminded me of that trip. He seemed to know every bay and island we went to right up to the Canadian border. I think word of mouth is good advertising. Asking about a guide on this site would be helpful for some. good luck.

Posted on: 3/30 6:51:55

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
I've hired many guides over the years and here are a few things I think a person might like to know ahead of time.

1. What are the specific start/end times?
2. Does the guide clean the fish?
3. Does the guide fish with you?
4. Are you able to take a break, get out of the boat, etc?
5. Does the guide have cooler space for your stuff?
6. Do they supply gear/bait and is there an additional fee for bait?
7. When a guide advertises 4 or 5 hour trips, or 8 or 9 hour trips how do they decide what you get? Is it actual fishing time or travel time as well?
8. What is your goal in fishing? Catch one big fish? Catch many fish? Depending on the species it might take different types of fishing to do so, is the guide equipped to do the type of fishing it takes?
9. Will you be fishing with them personally or one of their contracted boats?
10. Will you be fishing with your group only or do they combine you with others?
11. If combined, how are decisions made on the water? Majority rule?

- Mark

Posted on: 4/6 10:30:30

LSF Member
Pretty good list above.

Might also ask how long they have been fishing. I once saw a young kid, maybe early 20's, that was guiding a group in Alaska and he was fishing with them, which I am not sure is/was legal. Anyway, he held his spinning reel upside down and cranked backwards. The way he casted is almost impossible to describe.

The areas he had the clients fishing was just nuts. Needless to say, they caught no fish while we we watching them.

I would sure be disappointed if I paid for a guided trip and got that guy.

ClearCreek

Posted on: 4/6 22:46:29

Staff Team
From S.E. MN
Addition:
Is your guide sober while fishing and driving?
If not are his stories true or is he just a fart in the wind?

Is the bait included?
Where are we fishing?
Has the guide been out fishing,share ideas of where to fish before the trip and have you help make the decisions?

Trick

Posted on: 4/7 8:56:31

LSF Member
From Minnesota
If I hired a guide and he started drinking I would immediately ask him to take me in and refund my money. Can not imagine any professional guide that would even think about drinking on the job. I guess this would not be a question I would ask as the other questions should tell you if he is professional guide or not.

Posted on: 4/7 9:06:30

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page