Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Pellet Smoker/Grill Advice
LSF Member
From Andover MN
I don't want to hijack Kirk's post on pellets so I am starting this one.

I am in the marked for a pellet grill. I am sending one of my offset smokers to the cabin and want to purchase something that will be comparable to the smoker. I don't really have the budget to spend over $1000 for the new equipment.

I guess the biggest concern that I have is having the unit create enough smoke flavor. I am guessing that smoke tubes would help out with that as well. I have a small gas grill for burgers and brats and an occasional chick breast and then another offset smoker that can cook a 200 lb pig. I am just trying fill the void in between. And...there is no such thing as having too many grills lol.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Posted on: 4/2 16:01:02

Re: Pellet Smoker/Grill Advice
Administrator
Tragers go on sale and I believe the one I bought is on sale for 899.00 now but sometimes they are lower.

I really really enjoy my new Traeger smoker, it is all I expected and more. Hope you will get a lot of members to give their opinions but man I can't believe I waited for so long to get a Traeger grill...........Kirk

Posted on: 4/2 16:04:30

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From White Bear Lake
If a pellet smoker is a must I would pick up the 55 gallon Drum conversion kit from big daddy inc. I love Ugly Drum Smokers. I will argue they produce the best tasting BBQ ever. I use a charcoal basket for my UDS. But was just thinking about putting together a pellet drum for those long brisket/shoulder smokes.

http://smokedaddyinc.com/products/pellet-hopper-assemblies/item/12-pellet-pro-pellet-hopper-assembly-kit-for-ugly-drum-smoker.html

Posted on: 4/2 17:10:43

LSF Member
From Mora - Knife lake
I got a steal on a Camp Chef pellet grill at w mart on clearance. The cheaper pellet grills sell for 400-600$ Several brands to choose from. I really like my Camp Chef so far. Heat settings from $150-500 degrees.

Posted on: 4/2 18:29:11

LSF Member
From Wyoming, Mn
I have the lil Tex Traeger . It is one of the best out there I think.

Posted on: 4/2 19:06:12

LSF Member
From Clear Lake, MN
I own a Smoke Hollow (Smoke Chef) that I got at Fleet Farm for right at $300 on sale. It will be 2 years in May, and the grill works perfectly for our needs. We use it all year long even during the winter, and have had no issues with temperature. We have not tried smoking anything when it was cold out, so do not quote me on how well it will hold at lower temps. During the summer we have gotten it as hot as 508 degrees. It is holding up great, perfect purchase for us.

I was seriously considering the Traeger, as my brother has owned a Traeger for 7 years now. I went with the Smoke Hollow because, even at the price, it seemed the components were the same gauge and strength as the Traeger Tex series grills. With so many brands, shop prices and put your hands on it to see how well it is put together. I know the one thing my Smoke Hollow does lack is the front self accessory the Traeger has as an option. But mine does have a fan to help put out the flame in the fire pot when your done, and the older Traegers do not have that. Not sure if they have ever added it either. Last thing, we wrap the drip pan with foil to ease clean up and hopefully help it last that much longer.

Posted on: 4/2 19:58:53

LSF Member
From Andover MN
So I am looking at this

Pit Boss 820 Pellet Grill

Posted on: 4/3 17:21:06

From Sioux Falls, SD
I'm in a similar boat as you as I too have been looking to replace my gas grill....(though I have never owned a smoker in the past)....I'm not quite to the level of wanting to drop the coin on a rectec or yoder just yet.

The three brands locally here in the Sioux Falls area are Traeger (everyone including the drug stores seem to sell them), Green Mountain (two of my neighbors have one of these and like them) and lastly, Louisiana Grills.

Right now I am leaning towards the Louisiana Grill in the LG700 model...one because of what it offers and two is the local price I found (200 dollars off the 799 price)

Our local Karl's TV and Appliance is getting out of this brand and going to Traeger and they are selling out their stock.

The add on cold smoker (which I am also contemplating) is normally 399 down to 199 locally.

I've compared the three, and the Louisiana Grill seems to be the best of the three in the size/price range, highest temp, and also offers a direct flame for searing meat.

Reason I bring this up, I know there is a Karl's up around North Branch and it may be worth a call and see if they are following suit possibly with currently stocking LG's and switching to Traeger. Plenty of dealer support around the cities still with LG's.

Good luck in your choice...seems like each of them have their +'s and -'s.....what I need to do is just pull the trigger and be done!

Steve

Posted on: 4/3 18:06:12

LSF Member
Quote:

Dragonsm wrote:
I'm in a similar boat as you as I too have been looking to replace my gas grill....(though I have never owned a smoker in the past)....I'm not quite to the level of wanting to drop the coin on a rectec or yoder just yet.

The three brands locally here in the Sioux Falls area are Traeger (everyone including the drug stores seem to sell them), Green Mountain (two of my neighbors have one of these and like them) and lastly, Louisiana Grills.

Right now I am leaning towards the Louisiana Grill in the LG700 model...one because of what it offers and two is the local price I found (200 dollars off the 799 price)

Our local Karl's TV and Appliance is getting out of this brand and going to Traeger and they are selling out their stock.

The add on cold smoker (which I am also contemplating) is normally 399 down to 199 locally.

I've compared the three, and the Louisiana Grill seems to be the best of the three in the size/price range, highest temp, and also offers a direct flame for searing meat.

Reason I bring this up, I know there is a Karl's up around North Branch and it may be worth a call and see if they are following suit possibly with currently stocking LG's and switching to Traeger. Plenty of dealer support around the cities still with LG's.

Good luck in your choice...seems like each of them have their +'s and -'s.....what I need to do is just pull the trigger and be done!

Steve

I wouldn't waste your money on a cold smoker attachment just get an A-MAZE-N Smoker I think I bought mine for 35 bucks
They work great

Attach file:

jpg  1.jpg (16.68 KB)
34126_58e32c375360d.jpg 480X360 px

jpg  2.jpg (36.14 KB)
34126_58e32c3f5db37.jpg 400X225 px

Posted on: 4/4 0:17:32

LSF Member
I wanted a pellet grill for about 5 years finally got a deal on a Pit Boss 820fb at Cabellas around xmas right at $300 after using the $ off coupon. We use it twice as much as we ever used our propane grill and have not used our propane grill once since we got it. The Pit Boss has a slide over the fire pit that you can open to flame broil, it's like cooking on a camp fire. We have done pork butt and left it unattended while we are at work, you just can't do that with most smokers.

The only concern I had was the motor makes a little noise on startup when you are using it in very cold weather. The body of the grill is solid, I'm sure there is some difference in the electronics or motor quality. People have complained about temperature spikes but our food is turning out fantastic.

I bought the amazin tube and love that too, you would have to babysit it more than a pellet grill but the amazin tube and a propane grill would make a pretty dang good budget smoker. I cold smoked fish with it and use it to bump up the smoke in my pellet grill without adding heat.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0266.JPG (1,593.42 KB)
7699_58e792b409dea.jpg 4032X3024 px

jpg  IMG_0473.JPG (1,370.81 KB)
7699_58e792e3e499f.jpg 2389X3526 px

jpg  IMG_0106.JPG (2,324.13 KB)
7699_58e7933f9b221.jpg 4032X3024 px

jpg  IMG_0109.JPG (2,225.55 KB)
7699_58e79371cef02.jpg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 4/7 8:28:26

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page