Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Little advice and tips
Administrator
I volunteered to cook the pork butts for a big function at work. Probably ten pork butts.

My plan is to cover them in mustard and put my dry rub all over them and than plastic wrap and put in fridge over night. I plan on smoking them for six hours than 225 until 195 internal temp.

My questions are: We will not be serving them until the next day and without a drip pan, how would I keep the meat moist when I warm it up the next day? Or do I put them in aluminum pans when I smoke them or could I put a drip pan under the butts while I cook them. I warm the juice up to pour on the pork the next day but with a smoker not sure how to accomplish this.

After I pull them off the smoker at 190-195 should I wrap in foil and if so how long to keep them wrapped before shredding and putting in fridge for the next day. Any tips, better ideas would be appreciated.......Kirk

Posted on: 4/4 4:21:07

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Little advice and tips
LSF Member
I have smoked pork in aluminum pans, seems to work pretty well. My secret to add moisture to pulled pork is apple juice. Not only does it add moisture but also adds a sweet flavor to the meat.

Posted on: 4/4 6:38:58

LSF Member
From Andover MN
After your initial cook, wrap each butt individually and then place into a pan. Then cover the pan with both plastic film and then foil. When you reheat, leave the pans covered to retain the moisture. You can add a weak pork base for additional moisture if needed after pulling the pork. I wouldn't use a full strength base as the meat may turn out too salty.

Posted on: 4/4 7:08:23

LSF Member
From andover
This is what I have done before in your situation. First I would plan a longer time than 6 hours at 225. There is usually a "stall" which happens when the internal hits 165 to 170 for about an hour. This is when the collagen breaks down. After that the internal temp rises again. I usually take it out at an internal of 205. Then wrap in foil and some towels. Put them in a cooler and let juices distribute internally and slowly cool down.

Once cooled to a point that I can pull the pork, I pull it and put it in heavy duty throw away pans [like you get at Sams or Costco]. Then I add my sauce. Not a lot, just enough to keep the meat moist. Cover, and put into the fridge. heat up the next day. Adding a little apple juice doesn't hurt either. I see folks when they make pulled pork, that they put too much sauce in the pulled pork. So much that you cant taste the pork and just the sauce. On the serving table I would have some nice buns, fresh cole slaw and extra sauce if people want to add it to their bun. I always top the bun with the pulled pork on it with a good dab of cole slaw. Tasty.

Prepare to take the time for this. That's the thing that makes smoking special. Low and slow. Low temps and plenty of time. Can be done quicker in the oven or crock pots but it aint the same. good luck.

Posted on: 4/4 8:46:11

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
I've also used apple juice if I don't have any of the drippings handy.

What time are you serving the food?

When I smoke a pork butt I usually time it so that I'm pulling it off late at night before I go to bed. I then wrap it in 2 layers of heavy foil, wrap it in a towel or 2 and then toss it into a good cooler. When I wake up I open it all up and pull it apart, thats usually 6-8 hours after it goes into the cooler and its still plenty hot. You could try to time it so that you pull the meat off the smoker about 7 hours before you plan to serve it, wrap it up and let it sit and then pull and serve immediately. Should be plenty hot and plenty juicy.

If that doesn't work and you can't capture some of the drippings then apple juice does work. You can put the meat in a crock pot with a little apple juice and let it steam. Give it a stir every once in awhile.

I also serve the pork without sauce. Everyone can sauce their own. I prefer pretty light sauce with a pile of slaw on top of it.

Posted on: 4/4 8:56:06

Administrator
Great information and it is appreciated very much. I plan on smoking them for six hours THAN move the temp up to 225 until 195. I would think 10 hours or so for it to complete. That is what LSF is all about, ask a question and our fellow members are there to help out. OUTSTANDING.......Kirk

Posted on: 4/4 9:16:34

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
We have smoked them in foil pans, basting occasionally with apple juice or you can use a mop sauce. Like mentioned gotta get the IT up to break them down. Save the juice and after you are done pulling them you can add it back. One other trick we have done is to have some extra rub and add some after you have pulled it.

Posted on: 4/4 9:23:32

LSF Member
I also like to inject mine before smoking too.

1 cup apple juice
1 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup salt
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs Worcestershire

This is enough for two 8-10lb butts. I inject mine the night before. Then about an hour or so before smoking I put on the mustard and rub and let it sit out at room temp till putting in the smoker. After about an hour or so in the smoker I start spraying it with a mixture of 3 parts apple juice to 1 part captain morgan spiced rum. I spray it about every 45 minutes or so. Once it hits 165 I spray it pretty good with the apple juice mixture and double wrap it in heavy duty aluminum. Then cook it till it hits 200 and pull it off then wrap in a towel and put it in a cooler till it's cool enough to pull. I keep the temp at 225 the whole time and obviously once it's wrapped in foil there's no need to add smoke. With the apple juice spray it makes a really nice bark on the butt. It really comes out nice and moist for me this way. Just my two cents.

Posted on: 4/4 9:31:29

LSF Member
From Brooklyn Park / Rainy Lake
When I pull them, I wrap them in foil and then place them in a cooler insulated with towels, a couple on the bottom and then the rest in and around cover them. By letting the meat rest like this it allows for most of juices to be retained in the meat, and I have heard of the meat staying warm for up to 12 hours after being removed from the coolers.

Posted on: 4/4 10:26:13

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I like to baste/mop mine with a sauce I make with dry hard cider and the bbq sauce I'll be adding at the end. I also use apple juice in place of the cider. I never measure it out, but a whole can of cider and 3 tablespoons of bbq sauce or so. Creates a very tasty bark.

As far as for the next day I do what others have mentioned. Smoke them then shred them in a large foil pan, add the sauce (I also go very light and let people add more if they choose), seal up real tight so that when you re-warm none of the moisture gets out. If it seems dry you can add some more sauce or a little apple juice. But it shouldn't dry out too much over 1 night if you seal the pan with plastic and tin foil.

Now this is making me hungry and I still have 2 hours until lunch.

Posted on: 4/4 10:40:45

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page