Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2)

Re: Little advice and tips
LSF Member
From 55416
Good suggestions so far, my -

I would plan on smoking, shredding and storing all on the same day and allot at least 12 hours for it. That much meat, regardless of the rig you use to smoke it, will always take longer to finish than you think it will and I would guess it will take you about 90 minutes to shred all that pork.

I personally would not do the FTC (foil, towel, cooler) method overnight, too much chance that you would not be able to shred properly plus it would increase the risk of foodborne illness too much for me.

Shredded > chopped for me and it's not close. Chopped pork turns to mush so easily, have never cared for the texture.

Adding small amounts of thinned out sauce is a good way to keep it moist for service. IMO most BBQ sauces are too sweet the way they are so I prefer chicken stock and/or apple cider vinegar vs apple juice for thinning the sauce. I also like to add it before reheating the next day vs after shredding the night before but YMMV on those points.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Posted on: 4/4 11:12:17

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Agreed on the sauces being too sweet zooks! That's why I switched from apple juice to a dry hard cider! Oh and also agree on shredded vs chopped.

Posted on: 4/4 11:21:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From andover
Floodeyes, I like your injection recipe. I normally use a Korean beef base for mine, but I would try yours. The mix of apple juice and rum I have used and it is a great one for spray. good luck.

Posted on: 4/4 13:43:21

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

Staff Team
From S.E. MN
I use a brine method and soak the butts for 24 hours, drain and smoke.
The brine consists of hot water, worchestershire sauce, apple or plum juice and kosher salt.
Make sure that the salt is disolved in hot water then cooled and added to the above ingredients.
1 gallon HOT water
1 cup worchestersire sauce
1/2 gallon fruit juice
1 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup granulated garlic
3 roasts will fit in a 4 gallon pail with the brine.
Ice on top of the brine to fill the pail and refrigerate.

My Smoke Hollow smoker can hold 9 roasts and run at 185 degrees for 10 hours and 225 degrees for 1 hour.
I use my own apple and hickory chips for smoke that being said the sweet from the apple wood and bite from the hickory wood are a good combination.

When the roasts come out I let the rest for 45 minutes and pull the roasts then.
Vacuum packing in 1 gallon and smaller bags works great to use as needed throughout the year IMO.

Note that old oven slotted drain broiler pans work great on the racks , placing the meat directly on the pan to catch the drippings and then add to the any meat as needed for desired moisture.
Easy clean up due to the coating on the pans.

Trick

Posted on: 4/4 15:22:45

LSF Member
From Leech Lake Area
I have a upper grill area big enough for several butts and then we put foil pans underneath with apple juice in them and let all that goodness drip down into the pans along with the apple juice. I use instant expresso and brown sugar among other things in my rub so once everything mixes it makes its own sauce we simply shred the butts then dump part or all of the dripping over the shredded meat. Store in the fridge until ready to use, put in a big roaster and reheat in the juice, works every time.

Posted on: 4/4 15:48:51

LSF Member
From 55416
Oh, and here's the recipe I use. Two of my buddies have gone through about 2 dozen other recipes and they each came back to this one. Simple and tasty.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pulled-pork-recipe

Posted on: 4/4 16:20:31

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page