Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Generator Advice/Feedback
LSF Member
From Clear Lake, MN
So I have been given a 5th wheel camper by a good friend and I am now in the market for generators to run everything. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices and was hoping some of you would have feedback on these or advice if I missed another obvious one I should consider.

1. A pair of the Honda EU2000i. I can pick these up "used", meaning they were taken out of the box, gas and oil added, and started a couple of times

2. A pair of the Power Horse 2000 watt inverter generators. These would be new with warranties.

3. A Champion 3500 watt inverter generator. This would also be new.

Anyone have any experience with these. Noise levels, reliability, anything like that would be great to hear. I really like everything I have seen/read about the Honda but a lack of warranty worries me on a purchase this big. Thanks in advance for feedback!

Posted on: 4/5 1:03:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Generator Advice/Feedback
LSF Member
I love the honda eu2000....4years still going strong not to loud....dont know about your other choices.c63

Posted on: 4/5 2:22:34

LSF Member
From Duluth
Had a couple 650 Honda years ago,,,run year round,first one from 20 years ago the kid uses to this day. The second one was stolen after 5 years. Rings are pretty much gone but it just keeps on going,as far as dependability tough to beat Honda. I think powerhouse is fairly new,but wouldn't doubt if made or affiliated with a better known brand,they look quite similar. Champions have been around awhile but are a couple decibels louder,seem like a pretty decent unit, but I have read of a few issues with hardware,handles,knobs,recoil and such.also read champion has excellent support. For the past 10 years or so have been running a Yamaha esi3000 other than normal maintenance,trouble free year round use. If I was going to be using my own generator "a lot" it would be Yamaha or Honda,occasionally used say 6 week ends a year or less I would be okay with the others mentioned. Good luck

Posted on: 4/5 6:04:47

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
IMO, there is a reason that every single generator thread on any forum you can find always uses the Honda 2000 as the one they compare to. When discussing generators in that size range, about 100% of the time the Honda is listed as the best.

From your choices listed, I would buy the Hondas ahead of the other two, even if you were being given the other two for free. The higher cost of the Honda is the price of peace of mind.

As far as warranty concerns, just weight he gamble of

Posted on: 4/5 6:34:57

LSF Member
From Hugo
I took a gamble on the Champion 3500 just because the cost was so much cheaper than the Honda. I have used it for 2 years now with ZERO problems or issues. I use it for my Ice Castle and run it constantly while out on the ice. I feel its VERY GOOD on gas and is just as quiet on the eco mode although if your getting a 3500 your probably not using eco very often. Running non-stop 24 hours with a load on it and not running in the eco I use about 2-3 gallons of gas a day. I also have a Honda 1000 so I have nothing bad to say about Honda...they are GREAT! If cost is a factor for you then Champion is a good choice!

Posted on: 4/5 7:41:06

Staff Team
From Bloomington
I would go Honda. Not just for the reputation for being great on gas, always working, and very quiet but also maint. and repair if needed.

How available are parts for each brand, how many services centers are there, part availability (I lost the gas cap, tandem cables etc).

I would be leary of buying a generator used. It is tempting but was it taken care of? Was it run for 30 hours or 500 hours?

Posted on: 4/5 8:55:52

LSF Member
I have a Cabela's brand generator manufactured by Champion that is a 4750 starting and 3800 running with an auto-start and it is great. My personal opinion is that the remote start is worth every penny. Keep in mind how much power your consuming in your camper when your AC is on. That alone can draw upwards of 3000 watts. Once a hair-dryer or microwave gets kicked on you can go over your limit pretty quick.

I'm sure the other brands your looking at are just fine but I've been very pleased with my Champion product.

Posted on: 4/5 14:19:38

LSF Member
From Mora
I had a boliy generator that I used to power my 5th wheel and loved it. I had it for 7 yrs and never had a problem with it and it always started on the first or second pull. Loved it until I lost in a garage fire. Just a heads up if you plan on running your ac the honda 2000 wont be able to handle it. You'll need something in the 3000 watt range in order to run everything.
Anyways just my two cents on the boliy

Attach file:

jpg  Boliy-PRO3600SIER-QBlue-RV-Pro-3700-Generator-5.jpg (12.44 KB)
9711_58e562a29a5c1.jpg 500X358 px

Posted on: 4/5 16:33:29

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Quote:

crestlinerman wrote:
I had a boliy generator that I used to power my 5th wheel and loved it. I had it for 7 yrs and never had a problem with it and it always started on the first or second pull. Loved it until I lost in a garage fire. Just a heads up if you plan on running your ac the honda 2000 wont be able to handle it. You'll need something in the 3000 watt range in order to run everything.

How quiet are these generators?

Posted on: 4/5 18:22:11

LSF Member
From Mora
Quote:

orandausa wrote:
Quote:

crestlinerman wrote:

How quiet are these generators?[/qu

I have a honda 1000 and the boliy wasnt much louder than the honda in my opinion. It wasnt super quiet but, it wasnt loud either.

Posted on: 4/5 19:59:38

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page