Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Electric winch questions
LSF Member
From Park Rapids
Dad is getting older and cranking the boat up is becoming more of a task for him each year. Thinking about getting him an electric winch this year.

Does anyone have a model they recommend? Also wondering about wiring. He had one on his old trailer and had some Gypsy rig wiring running through the suburban. I need to be able to power this winch with multiple vehicles. Has anyone used the auxiliary wire in the 7 prong plug to power a winch? Thinking this would be better than running wires from the battery on two vehicles.

Also thought about just mounting a battery on the trailer, but I know that can present is own problems.

One last thought is keep the manual winch and making an adapter to power it with a cordless impact wrench.

Any recommendations?

Posted on: 4/8 21:14:58
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Electric winch questions
LSF Member
From Farmington MN

Posted on: 4/9 6:45:31

LSF Member
From Park Rapids
That's what we have now. Can move the handle depending on if you want speed or torque. It's a bunk trailer and at most of the ramps around here, you have to get wet to get to the winch unless you can scale the bumper of the truck which dad can't do anymore. He still has an extendable rod that holds the winch hook so you can hook it from the dock. I figured that and maybe a corded remote would save him from having to get in the water. I'm also thinking about putting a roller up front to assist with the last 2-3' of winching

Posted on: 4/9 10:53:29

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Check out the drotto boat latch. No need for a winch at all...May be an option

Posted on: 4/9 13:26:24

LSF Member
From Saginaw, MN
I mounted one of these last year http://www.harborfreight.com/2500-lb-atvutility-electric-winch-with-wireless-remote-control-61840.html
Then run 10 ga. wire off a 60 amp breaker right from the truck battery. Only problem is you have to remember to engage the winch before getting in the boat.

Posted on: 4/9 13:34:07

LSF Member
From Park Rapids
Quote:

fishless wrote:
I mounted one of these last year http://www.harborfreight.com/2500-lb-atvutility-electric-winch-with-wireless-remote-control-61840.html
Then run 10 ga. wire off a 60 amp breaker right from the truck battery. Only problem is you have to remember to engage the winch before getting in the boat.

how well does this one work? I like the idea of a wireless remote. Does it have a brake that will hold the boat fully seated?

Posted on: 4/10 9:09:53

LSF Member
From Saginaw, MN
It works great for me. Not sure about a brake however. The spool lock seems to work for holding the boat and I've never had any slippage issues. Still pretty new however so time will tell. I made mine removable though. Too many thieves around these days. Next time I get the boat out I can take some photos if you want.

Posted on: 4/10 14:20:04

LSF Member
From Park Rapids
That would be great. Seems like an inexpensive solution. I found one for 209 that looked great. Corded and wireless remotes. But the reviews were shyt.

Posted on: 4/10 22:02:50

LSF Member
From glencoe
I would look into one like this. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Winch/Dutton-Lainson/DL25200.html sometimes on a steep incline access you need some power! Sometimes one with a remote is nice. need to run a heavy wire from a battery either from your truck or a spare. I run mine straight from the battery with the circuit breaker right up by the battery. atleast this winch has the option to use a socket and maybe a good drill to winch it up in a emergency.

Posted on: 4/11 6:00:49

LSF Member
From North Central MN
This is what I put on my boat 4+ years ago. Works fantastic!

Brand is Superwinch and I believe its a 3500lbs. Has remote, cable button & side mounted button.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1430.JPG (1,345.48 KB)
11110_58ecc113151c8.jpg 3264X2448 px

jpg  IMG_0174.JPG (2,463.71 KB)
11110_58ecc1279a3d8.jpg 3264X2448 px

Posted on: 4/11 6:42:41

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page