Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Food Plots
Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Started thinking about what to plant this year. What are you guys planting? Anybody have any perennial crops that have worked a lot better than others? Want to attract both deer and turkeys.

I'm also thinking about investing in some trees to plant. Any recommendations of oak trees or apple trees? Something else maybe like some kind of plum tree?

Where do you guys buy your seeds?

Posted on: 4/10 12:58:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Food Plots
LSF Member
From MN
I planted some clover last fall with little success. I spread two different brands. Most of it is still showing, just never flourished. Not sure if its the soil or too little sunlight?

I've shifted my focus to trees and shrubs. We have about 40 oaks coming this spring (red oaks, white oaks, burr oaks, hybrids, ect.), about 25 Dogwoods, and about 10 apples (crabapples and various wild apples).

Problem with going the tree/shrub route, is you won't see any real benefit for a few years compared to the 'food plot.' We have some swamp white oaks that we planted about 7-8 years ago that were just staring to produce last year before the frost whipped out the entire acorn crop.

Posted on: 4/10 13:16:16

LSF Member
From Mille Lacs/Landfall
I've planted a lot of apples trees in Carlton County woods with little success. Most die in harsh winters and some are still living after 10 years and do not produce. You need the right pollinators and soil. I'm still trying because I'm too stubborn but I have lost a lot of money, and wasted alot of hard work and sweat.

Posted on: 4/10 13:20:43

LSF Member
Frigid forage clover works great. I don't ph test. Just round up, till, 50lbs of 20-20-20 per 1/4 acres, seed and roll it

Posted on: 4/10 14:03:42

LSF Member
From Mora
deercreekseed.com is a good place to get seed. As for apple trees hell ya plant as many as trees as you can. Not just apples but, crabapples, plums, pears. One thing with trees though you have to put cage or something around them for a few years or so until they grow big enough otherwise the deer will just chew them right off to nothing.

Posted on: 4/10 16:28:33

LSF Member
From Bemidji area --Red Lake

Posted on: 4/10 21:15:40

LSF Member
From Bemidji area --Red Lake
Here's a link where you can purchase seedlings from the MN State Forestry. Most our sold out for this year, but the prices are very good. I purchased 1500 this year. 500 red oak, 500 white spruce, and 500 of assorted bushes. Plan on planting them the first weekend in May when they are ready for pick up. We are renting a tree planter from the county for $35 a day. Hopefully will have it done over a weekend.
I plan on documenting it well and will plan on posting it here.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/forestry/nursery/pricelist.html

Posted on: 4/10 21:18:23

LSF Member
From great state of Minnesota
X 2 on deer Creek seed.com ordered brassica blend seed last year for the first time had very good success. Planted it the first week of August, the deer tore it up when the first frost hit. Will be ordering the same for this year. Would recommend to anyone..

Posted on: 4/10 21:29:19

LSF Member
From MN
We did something similar to Jiggingspoons except we ordered our trees through the county (they come in smaller bundles 20-25). We did this for red oaks, red osier dogwood, and spruce. They may be sold out as well. We ordered ours last fall or over the winter.

As mentioned above, don't forget to protect the trees from rubbing/browse for a few years. Tree tubes with ventilation work best on oaks. Cages for shrubs (apples and dogwoods).

Posted on: 4/11 7:36:16

LSF Member
I've done food plots for years with lots of trial and error. The most important factor is soil ph. Planting in poor soil is a waste of time and money. If you go with clover (doesnt matter which type) use fertilizer with little to no nitrogen, like a 0-20-20 or 6-24-24. Clover produces it's own nitrogen. A high nitrogen number just feeds the weeds.

Posted on: 4/11 8:03:57

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page