Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Food Plots
Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Alright just an update on where I am in my first year of doing a food plot.

We planted some oak trees (pin oaks and swampy white) and pear trees. Right now just trying to keep the deer from mowing those down.

Staked out the area where we are going to try and get a food plot going. Sprayed it with round up last week. Will check out how we did when I go up this coming week to water the trees.

Do you guys think it would be better to plow under the food plot now then re-spray a week or so before we plant? Or to re-spray i a couple weeks, then plow under and plant? This year we are just doing a smaller plot (1/3 acre or so if I had to estimate) and planning on some brassicas.

Soil PH is great, tested between 6.5 and 7 every where.

Posted on: 6/18 7:19:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Update again. Plowing and discing the food plot this weekend. Have a brassica mix from Frigid Forage, went with the Big N Beasty

Now looking at the forecast looks like it will never rain again, it's like they mixed our forecast up with southern California or something.... Will have to wait until I see some rain in the forecast before I can get it planted.

Posted on: 7/28 9:19:25

LSF Member
We planted our purple top turnips and daikon radishes yesterday. No rain forcast as far as they'll forcast. It'll work out, always does

Posted on: 7/28 10:15:03

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
You aren't worried about the seed sitting there for 10+ days with no rain?

Posted on: 7/28 11:27:02

LSF Member
From MN
Last fall was my first year experimenting with a food plot. I planted a very small clover plot. We had some work done on the creek to prevent erosion and the big equipment tore up the ground so I decided to simply broadcast clover over the top. No spraying, chemicals, or PH test and it's doing better than I anticipated.

I haven't been extremely interested in planting annuals. I know the deer love them but I prefer a less labor intensive and more sustainable food source for my money.

We've mostly planted oaks, apple, and dogwoods this year. We do have some natural wild plums down in the woods, might try more plums next year.

Posted on: 7/28 12:04:05

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
We also planted pear trees and oak trees this year. We are just trying the food plot this year with hopes of getting a perennial going next year maybe. As I'm with you, I'd rather not have to do all this work every year. But it will be a few (haha more than a few I guess) before the oak trees start producing. The pear trees we got are fairly large and hopefully will start producing next year.

Posted on: 7/28 12:38:29

LSF Member
Not really. It will just sit there. When it rains, it will come. One of my plots the ground was wet as we are in clay, so that's going to germinate anyways. You can't worry about the weather. The weather forecast always changes anyways....

Posted on: 7/28 15:09:04

LSF Member
Another thought for you as you learn the ropes. Buy your brassicas, clovers, rye, etc at a mill [petersons in north branch or the like]. Way, way, way, cheaper than frigid forage, etc. For the Same stuff. Same with your Pell lime and fertilizer. Ask questions they will help. Often time lots of things you may plant like clover produce it's own nitrogen so you actually wanna put on potash, etc. Another simple and effective plot is winter rye, cheap too. Deer love it. Lots to learn, but it's addicting and fun.

Posted on: 7/28 15:19:04

LSF Member
From great state of Minnesota
Planted my food plot today. Ordered my seed from Deer Creek Seed. Brassica, rapeseed, turnip and radish. I have high expectations on the food plot... With the forecast of no rain for awhile, i water it down using my 25 gallon sprayer tank to add some moisture to the soil.

Posted on: 7/29 21:55:04

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Forecast has looked to improve a bit with chances of rain Tuesday, thursday and friday. Driving up after work today and laying my seed down.

The directions say to "use a cultipacker, roller, or even your ATV tires to pack the field to insure good seed/soil contact. You do not need to worry about covering the seed. If the seed is planted too deep, it will not grow."

I don't have a roller or cultipacker, before the directions was thinking of just raking it lightly after spreading the seed. Do you think that will work or should I figure something else out? I guess I have a 55 gallon water barrel I could use as a roller somehow?

Posted on: 7/30 6:40:13

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page