Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Smoking a Green Ham
LSF Member
From Iowa
I am thinking of trying something different this year and try smoking a green ham. For those of you who have done this how did it turn out, how did you like it and what was your process or hints for success?

Thanks

Posted on: 4/10 19:12:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Smoking a Green Ham
LSF Member
From White Bear Lake
I have never tried to cure and smoke a ham but here is a link to a thread that talks about it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171767

Posted on: 4/11 6:57:49

LSF Member
My brother in law did it a few years back. He's a chef and has access to commercial refrigeration so he did his curing at work where he could keep the ham stored more easily.

We then smoked it using my cheap charcoal barrel smoker. In the end I thought it turned out ok but I wasn't overly impressed with it.

It was his first attempt so perhaps he'll improve his technique if he does it again.

I don't recall much of the exact process he used for the curing or smoking. I'm sure he took notes since he usually does when working on something new, the trick is locating the notes.

Posted on: 4/11 9:25:00

LSF Member
From andover
The amount of time the fresh ham is in the brine depends on the size of the ham. A 17 pound fresh ham [injected] can take up to 30 days. When I hear 7 days for a fresh ham, I think it's not long enough. When I do a boneless pork loins that is 5 pounds it goes in the same brine for 7 to 9 days and it has less mass than a fresh ham. So how big is this fresh ham? half of one or the full leg with the shank on?. If whole it has to be injected with the brine first [like every square inch] and especially near the bone. I have used the Pop's brine in my site in the Smoking Hot page. For a 17 pounder you have to double the recipe so the brine covers the ham in a 5 gallon bucket. good luck.

Posted on: 4/11 13:32:24

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

Staff Team
From Monticello/Paynesville
Traditionally you would be looking at 2 days per pound in the brine. It's best to inject as well for max exposure. If you give it a go make sure you report back with how it turns out! It's too late to make Easter but certainly something to invite some friends and family over for in the future.

Posted on: 4/11 13:40:32

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page