Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Shimano fe spinning reels?
LSF Member
So I got a 1000, and 2000 Sedona Fe reels yesterday . I usually use presidents or orra's. for $70 they seemed way more smoother than the pfluegers. I had a old sahara years ago I did not like much just trying something else. Any reviews or thoughts on Shimano I know very little about them Thanks.

Posted on: 4/10 20:10:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Shimano fe spinning reels?
Anonymous
My whole family used to swear by Shimano spinning reels. We still have a bunch of Sedona FA reels that work great after 16 years of regular use. We seem to purchase a couple every year, but I've noticed in the last 5 years that the reliability of the Shimano spin reels has fallen off a cliff. About 50% of the recent reels we have bought has had issues come up in its second season- clicks, noisy bearings etc. The ones we have had the most problem with are Stradics, which are supposed to be a high end product.

I'm giving up on Shimano after fishing with them my whole life (first reel was a TX from grandpa at age 5, still use it after 26 seasons!), or at least until I hear that they have upped their quality control game. My next spin reel will be a Pflueger.

Shimano baitcasters have always been really good to us.

I'm interested to hear if other people have had the same experience- there are 3 stradics of two different model/years on my workbench right now...

Posted on: 5/4 0:33:56

LSF Member
From West metro
Shimano makes the very best spinning reels on the market. As with anything that uses bearings, they must be cleaned yearly and a good quality oil and grease applied. Good bearings can good bad without proper maintenance, like the bearings on your trailer.
I have heavily used reels that I even replaced bearings on to keep them going. Think of all the work those little suckers do and how much stress you put them through.
Find a reliable reel repair guy and have him clean your reels, they will last a very long time and be a smooth as the day you bought them.

Posted on: 5/4 6:42:35

LSF Member
Don't have your particular reel, so I can't comment specifically, but the Shimano reels I do have in my arsenal are quality.

Here's my humble opinion about reels - spinning reels in particular (less so for baitcasters, but it applies to them somewhat as well) - as long as it casts smoothly; as long as it reliably retrieves your line at the retrieve ratio you want, without chewing up your line; as long as the drag is of good quality and gives you the ability to dial it in and know how it will respond - then they're all pretty much a horse-apiece. Then it boils down to longevity. I haven't had a reel of any brand go bad on me for over 10 years. (Knock on wood!)

Posted on: 5/4 7:10:46

Anonymous
Quote:

GPowers wrote:
Shimano makes the very best spinning reels on the market. As with anything that uses bearings, they must be cleaned yearly and a good quality oil and grease applied. Good bearings can good bad without proper maintenance, like the bearings on your trailer.
I have heavily used reels that I even replaced bearings on to keep them going. Think of all the work those little suckers do and how much stress you put them through.
Find a reliable reel repair guy and have him clean your reels, they will last a very long time and be a smooth as the day you bought them.

Do you have any experience you would like to share? I've been rebuilding shimano reels my whole life and can tell you that they are not what they used to be. They are using bushings more often in the reels where they used to use bearings, they are using using plastic as bearing surfaces and lighter fasteners. I'm not sure if the bearing quality has fallen off, or if the case design allows for more dirt ingress than previous designs. Maybe I just have to go way up the line to get the quality that I am used to expecting.

Posted on: 5/4 9:58:25

LSF Member
Kind of in the same boat as everyone else. I have 10 year old Shimano spinning reels that are still awesome, smooth and work perfect, and I have a couple of recent purchases, a couple years old, sitting on the work bench cuz I can't get them to work smoothly. I have also noticed the quality drop off over the past few years. I fell for the "you get what you pay for" and purchased some very expensive Shimano reels, and one of them is on my work bench with the others that have problems. So don't think that is the answer either.

Oddly enough, I have picked up a couple of Gander series spinning reels recently on clearance sales just to try them, and they are quality, smooth working reels. I know these are not as easily rebuild able, like Shimano, but the price was right, and the experience so far has been very good.

If anyone has the secret on the best current reels, please share. I have a brand new rod that needs a matching reel, and I was thinking of giving an Okuma a try, anyone have experience with them? For some reason, I can't get myself to buy a Diawa, but it sounds like the Exist is a quality reel.

Posted on: 5/4 10:13:45

Staff Team
From Monticello/Paynesville
Quote:

F6firecat wrote:
Kind of in the same boat as everyone else. I have 10 year old Shimano spinning reels that are still awesome, smooth and work perfect, and I have a couple of recent purchases, a couple years old, sitting on the work bench cuz I can't get them to work smoothly. I have also noticed the quality drop off over the past few years. I fell for the "you get what you pay for" and purchased some very expensive Shimano reels, and one of them is on my work bench with the others that have problems. So don't think that is the answer either.

Oddly enough, I have picked up a couple of Gander series spinning reels recently on clearance sales just to try them, and they are quality, smooth working reels. I know these are not as easily rebuild able, like Shimano, but the price was right, and the experience so far has been very good.

If anyone has the secret on the best current reels, please share. I have a brand new rod that needs a matching reel, and I was thinking of giving an Okuma a try, anyone have experience with them? For some reason, I can't get myself to buy a Diawa, but it sounds like the Exist is a quality reel.

I'm partial to Pflueger myself but I also do own a couple of Shimano reels as well. I also have a Fin Nor that I have had for going on 20 years, never have taken it apart and primarily used it shore fishing rivers when I was younger. That reel was left on the bank in the rain, mud and getting splashed with wet sand and still works like the day I bought it. It's dirty as all heck but it just doesn't quit. That said, my favorite reel I have is my Plueger Supreme. It's silky smooth and gets the job done every time. Don't tell my old Fin Nor I said that.

Posted on: 5/4 10:31:19

LSF Member
That's funny. 15 years ago, I was fishing up in the BWCA with my wife, she got board fishing and grabbed a book, so I put a salt pack sucker minnow on her hook and casted it out. No bites, but when I reeled it back in, I pulled up a spinning rod and reel. Browning graphite rod, lite, but awesome panfish rod. Pflueger reel that was all gunked up, but I spent the night tearing it apart and cleaning it, and other than the bail being tight, it still works like a charm today. Its my best panfish rod and reel that I own. Not sure why I haven't purchased another Pflueger, might have to.

Posted on: 5/4 10:47:40

LSF Member
From West metro
Price points is what you are talking about. You buy the best that's what you get, you buy a price point and that's what you get.
Luckily you can buy bearing kits and make your "price point" reel into something better"

I only buy the Stradic's and they are the best reels I have found so far. No need to build them up with bearing kits.

Posted on: 5/4 20:18:56

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page