Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Docks - JB Lund vs Floe
LSF Member
From Blaine and Otter Tail County
Looking at getting rid of the steel dock and going with either a Floe or JB Lund aluminum dock. Looking at a 32' dock with 8x8 platform, so i've narrowed it down to Floe or JB Lund based on the lack of side to side movement with these brands. A dock this size from Floe is around $6,000....ouch. Anyone have any comparisons that they can share with the Floe vs JG Lund? Looking for ease of setup, long term quality and minimal side to side movement when in the water.

Posted on: 4/11 13:07:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Docks - JB Lund vs Floe
LSF Member
My parents neighbors have a floe dock with a large section on the end with a built in table/chairs, a stairway into the lake & racks for their kayaks, all the accessories. They are able to install it themselves each year which is impressive because they are in their 50-60s. A really nice feature is it's ability to be raised or lowered with an electric drill- I'm pretty sure the main dock sections are 4 feet and covered with a brown finish. I'm not familiar with the other one you mention but the Floe is something else!

Posted on: 4/11 14:06:44

LSF Member
From Mn
You may want to look up dock rules and sizes that the DNR enforces.
I had to remove a 8X8 platform because DNR rules did state 6 ft width is the max.It can be 100ft long as long as no section excedes 6ft width.
Look up docks on the DNR site

Posted on: 4/11 14:28:59

LSF Member
From Minneapolis, MN / North Shore of Mille Lacs
We have had the same floe dock setup that you are looking at for going on its third season. We really like it alot, it is easy to install and very sturdy. At the end of our dock it is 7 ft from the lake bottom to the top of the dock. There is no side to side movement, it is solid. We picked floe because we liked the more modular type of system they have, for a couple reasons. First we have a somewhat challenging shoreline for a dock(big rocks and a steep drop at the waters edge.) It is easier to install this dock because it flexes in more points than one straight dock. It goes over the rocks better. Second, the ability to buy just enough to get you started and then slowly add to it each year makes it easier to pay for. We did purchase another 16 ft section a few weeks ago. So we will have 48 ft of length with a 8x8 area at the end.

Sorry I don't know much about the JB Lund dock. I did look at them all before deciding on the floe.

Let me know if you have any questions. I will try to answer them.

Posted on: 4/11 21:02:47

LSF Member
We bought a floe dock from a dealer that had it as a demo model a few years ago. Very impressed with how sturdy it is and the ease of putting in/ taking out. Neighbors at the lake have had one for about 10 years and have had no problems. Never dealt with a JB Lund so I can't tell you anything good or bad about them. Good luck

Posted on: 4/25 11:37:20

LSF Member
From Duluth
Quote:

dew2 wrote:
You may want to look up dock rules and sizes that the DNR enforces.
I had to remove a 8X8 platform because DNR rules did state 6 ft width is the max.It can be 100ft long as long as no section excedes 6ft width.
Look up docks on the DNR site

weird, the regs specifically say up to 8' wide is ok

Issues Related to Docks
Docks are commonly used access structures on Minnesota lakes and rivers. No permit is needed to install, construct, or reconstruct a dock on shoreline property if the property owner complies with certain restrictions PDF icon..

Design and locate your dock and boat lift to avoid interfering with your neighbor's use of the water. Docks and boat lifts should be placed so that mooring and maneuvering of watercraft can normally be confined within the property lines as if they were extended into the water.

The DNR has regulated docks and other structures in public waters for several decades. In recent years, the DNR has witnessed an increased number of "dock platforms," which are structures over public waters that exceed longstanding statewide rules that limit docks to a maximum of eight feet in width. Following several months of information dissemination and the gathering of public input, a General Permit was issued by the DNR in January 2008 which authorizes, under certain conditions, the installation of a single, temporary platform at the lake end of a dock.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/waters/watermgmt_section/pwpermits/docks.html

I'm picking up a Floe 4' x 24' long with a 8 x 8 "patio" on the end, 6' shore ramp, can't wait so sick of beaching my boat

Posted on: 4/25 15:02:36

Rick

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page