LSF Member
From Duluth
Thanks for sharing,good hunt,nice bird

Posted on: 4/14 5:21:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 2017 turkey seasom
LSF Member
From In a van down by the river
Bowhunting NE Metro. Had a gobbler at 8 yds, draw back and shoot. Arrow deflected off of the wing bone im assuming? Turkey ran off just fine. Didnt graze it, arrow was where the bird stood. Cut feathers at the scene.

I am shooting a NAP Spitfire Double cross mechanical broadhead on a 65 lb bow. I think the tip didnt penetrate the wing bone enough to start slicing, hence deflection? I split a bucks shoulder blade in two this fall. Very disappointed with today. Do I blame broadhead? Bow? (Plus blame myself...) Ever happen to anyone?

My report is that there is a lot of activity, alot of henned up toms.

Posted on: 4/14 22:32:28

LSF Member
From Duluth
Quote:

Gooseduckpike wrote:
Bowhunting NE Metro. Had a gobbler at 8 yds, draw back and shoot. Arrow deflected off of the wing bone im assuming? Turkey ran off just fine. Didnt graze it, arrow was where the bird stood. Cut feathers at the scene.

I am shooting a NAP Spitfire Double cross mechanical broadhead on a 65 lb bow. I think the tip didnt penetrate the wing bone enough to start slicing, hence deflection? I split a bucks shoulder blade in two this fall. Very disappointed with today. Do I blame broadhead? Bow? (Plus blame myself...) Ever happen to anyone?

My report is that there is a lot of activity, alot of henned up toms.

Had a old timer tell me "if you haven't ever missed a deer,you haven't shot many " first time. was very disappointed that day. Since then missed with not only a rifle, but bow and muzzle-loader. Although only hunted turkey with shotguns,missed with that too! This year am going to hunt with the bow,,,,difference now is usually if not always,there's not a whole lot of internal debate. I Missed. Lots of hunting,missed shot is a part of it. Otherwise it's just shootin. Thanks for sharing,good luck.

Posted on: 4/14 23:54:18

Hunting Field Staff
From Grand Rapids, MN
Got one opening day in the evening. Very stubborn bird as he was with a hen. Enough calling finally pissed the hen off and sent her running in. 22lbs, 10" beard, 7/8" spurs.

Posted on: 4/15 11:09:36

LSF Member
From Duluth
PROFESSIONAL GRADE HUNT! I'll be happy if we even see a 20+lb. tom. Good luck to all,,,

Posted on: 4/15 12:47:42

LSF Member
From Plymouth, MN
Punched my tag this morning. Two came in through some pines and I shot the first one when he stepped into the opening.

Didn't weigh it but had 10" beard and about 1" spurs.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0743 (Small).JPG (59.80 KB)
7279_58f4202fc0c2e.jpg 360X480 px

Posted on: 4/16 20:54:27

LSF Member
From Thief River Falls
Cool stories and pics guys!

My season has been pretty unsuccessful so far. I Hunted wed. morning until about 11, all day Thursday, Friday morning and evening, and Saturday morning until noon.

Wednesday morning we went to a spot that I had permission and hadn't seen anyone else around the area scouting or nothing and we got there plenty early walked the edge of the woods to where I planned to set the blind and came up on a ground blind set up on the edge of the woods. So we decided to just back out and go to a different spot so we wouldn't piss anyone off, the landowner told us we may see other people out there. our backup spot had someone sitting in the approach by the time we got there on state land. so we went to a third spot that we had never seen any birds. had one hen come by but that was it. We went to a different spot about 8:30 and got back in some oaks and had a tom responding to us so we closed the distance and set up. he came in from a direction I was not expecting him to so he couldn't see our decoys and hung up about 50 yards through the brush and we never got a shot.

since Wednesday morning I have yet to get a tom to respond to my calls. I have been close to them and they have been gobbling but they won't pay a lick of attention to my calling. The birds must be extremely henned up right now. hopefully they start responding a little more. I have an archery tag so there is still lots of season left. Good Luck Guys!

Posted on: 4/17 7:35:36

LSF Member
From Benedict
Some nice birds waiting still to see one!

Posted on: 4/18 11:41:51

LSF Member
From Champlin/Mahtowa mn
I went hunting just past saint cloud on private land I always get on thanks to my uncle. Turkeys were wierd this year not responding to calls and alot less gobbling than normal. I ended up seeing one finally yesterday and I choked and missed a 45yd shot. My season ends today but I plan on hunting in MAY during the last hurrah May 17-31
I think.
Ive never hunting that late in the season though. Anyone ever had luck that late? Any tips would be appreciated

Posted on: 4/18 12:00:22

LSF Member
From Thief River Falls
LoganFish,

I have hunted middle to end of may many times. Its really the same as it is early season from my experience. find the birds and call them in. They have never seemed to be harder to call in for me but it could be because they hadn't been pressured for a while. My other theory is that they are getting desperate to find mates since it is towards the end of the breeding season. Good Luck!

Posted on: 4/18 12:37:41

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page