Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Braised Short Ribs
Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Braised short ribs is one of my favorite meals to order at restaurants. I consider myself a fairly skilled cook (I do all the cooking in our house) but I had never attempted to make my own short ribs. Not sure why, maybe because they are a little more expensive, usually don't see them to buy or i didn't think I could make them as good as a restaurant. Well while at the butchers shop I saw them so I got some and tried it out, and man were they good.

I had the butcher cut in half through the bone so my 3 ribs could be cut into 6 chunks (mainly because my wife wouldn't be able to eat a whole one).

Step 1: season with salt and sear in oil on all sides

Step 2: onions, carrots, celery in the pan. cook for about 5 minutes

step 3: Add a couple table spoons flower and a couple table spoons tomato paste, mix all together and cook for about 2 minutes

Step 4: Stir in red win. My pan fit about 3/4 a bottle. I used a dryer cabernet sauvignon. I think most any red that you like would do, I went with something dryer because I wanted the flavor of the ribs more than the wine. Add ribs back into pan and simmer until about half the wine is gone (took about 20 minutes).

Step 5: Mix in beef broth to refill the pan, a lot of cloves of garlic (I think i used 6), fresh rosemary sprigs, fresh thyme sprigs, mix all together, cover and finish in oven for 2.5 hours.

I served the with baked potatoes and sauteed broccolini. The sauce in the pan made a great gravy that was good on the potatoes, would have worked better on mashed potatoes but believe it or not I cooked this for 3 hours but was too lazy to make mashed potatoes...

If you've never done it before braising is a great way to cook meat. I usually reserve it for bone in cuts.

Attach file:

jpg  short ribs 4.jpg (1,153.71 KB)
20675_58f03ebc168e0.jpg 3024X4032 px

jpg  short ribs 3.jpg (1,360.62 KB)
20675_58f03ec7524a4.jpg 3024X4032 px

jpg  short ribs 2.jpg (1,323.77 KB)
20675_58f03ed16f14a.jpg 3024X4032 px

jpg  short ribs 1.jpg (1,586.91 KB)
20675_58f03ee12efef.jpg 3024X4032 px

jpg  short ribs.jpg (1,159.71 KB)
20675_58f03f0fb7ada.jpg 3024X4032 px

Posted on: 4/13 22:26:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Braised Short Ribs
LSF Member
From andover
Very nice Bottlebass!! They are my favorite ribs. I'm getting a whole beef plate and having the bone's cut like you had but leaving the whole plate intact. Marinate in my Kalbi marinade overnight and then in the smoker for low and slow. Love your plate!!! good luck.

Posted on: 4/14 7:41:01

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
From Fargo
Holy CRAP that looks excellent!! Braising is an awesome way to cook. I want to try a braised blade roast off a front deer shoulder with the shoulder blade left in. That looks

Posted on: 4/14 9:31:02

LSF Member
From St. Paul, Hackensack-Longville-Leech
Wow that looks really good....gonna have to add that one to the list to make

Posted on: 4/14 10:19:52

LSF Member
From central mn
Looks great! had beef short ribs on sale @my local butcher,braised/seared and put all the fixins in a slow cooker in chunks so they would'nt cook down too much for 8hrs,no red wine at my house just sangria which worked just fine.made a stew like gravey when done.

Posted on: 4/14 12:56:29

Staff Team
From Monticello/Paynesville
Those look fantastic! Short ribs are such a great rich flavorful cut. Unfortunately, just like brisket, it became popular and the cost went through the roof for what was once considered a trash cut. Great looking plate!

Posted on: 4/14 20:34:45

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
They did end up being less expensive than I thought they would be but still expensive when a large portion of the weight was just bone. But bone in just has so much better flavor.

They were $6.99/lb. Should I be looking some place else for them? Even if that is a high price I'll still get them from my regular butcher shop as I'm a very loyal customer to them.

Posted on: 4/15 8:29:04

LSF Member
From andover
Ask them how much a whole plate would be in the bag. There are usually 2 plates in a bag. Should get them for less. Just have them weigh them up in the bag and then have them cut through the bones the way you like it. good luck.

Posted on: 4/15 8:53:52

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Appreciate the advice Reinhard but the 3 ribs was 2 meals each for my wife and I. Not sure what we would do with that many of them.

Does the $6.99/pound sound about right to you though?

Posted on: 4/15 8:58:01

LSF Member
From andover
Ya, that's about right in general. When I get a plate I'll post it on here with the price to see the difference. good luck.

Posted on: 4/15 10:19:20

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page