Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Prairie Doggin?
LSF Member
From St. Paul, Hackensack-Longville-Leech
My boss put the task of setting up a prairie dog hunt this summer. Going to do some research through past threads but wanted to throw a new one up as well.

Anyone have any details from past trips, we'll most likely be going to SD. What are the must brings that we might not know of? Anything special we should keep in mind?

Posted on: 4/17 14:07:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Prairie Doggin?
LSF Member
From Central MN
Tribal, or public?

Walkabout hunting, or drop the tailgate ans shoot?

Good guides are already booked out for the year by now, and your options are dwindling by the day

Posted on: 4/17 14:39:43

LSF Member
Quote:

TrophyCatcher wrote:
Tribal, or public?

Walkabout hunting, or drop the tailgate ans shoot?

Good guides are already booked out for the year by now, and your options are dwindling by the day

Definitely looking for a guide to show the ropes and get as much shooting as we can in a limited amount of time

Most likely Tribal from what I have read.....also more drive up and shoot, i'm fine with putting miles on the boots but doubt others would be in for that

Was just starting to find that it might be tough for this summer.....is the reason for this due to # of guides available, # of colonies to hunt dogs, or general interest is so high they just fill up?

Posted on: 4/17 15:02:18

LSF Member
From Central MN
Quote:

CaughtABuzz wrote:

Was just starting to find that it might be tough for this summer.....is the reason for this due to # of guides available, # of colonies to hunt dogs, or general interest is so high they just fill up?

All of the above.

Best shooting will be on tribal ground. Its also the most difficult to find reliable guides.

Standing Rock and Eagle Butte can be very good, and no guide needed. Lots of miles, and a cordial attitude around most small towns will get you access to some stuff. But you will burn your whole first year trying to find access.

Rosebud and Pine Ridge have the highest populations, but finding reputable guides is tough. And the guys who are reputable are booked by January 1st, and turning away work constantly.

If you are researching now, it's probably for next year, unless you have the deep pockets to get book through one of the pheasant lodges.

Posted on: 4/17 15:42:32

LSF Member
Quote:

TrophyCatcher wrote:
Quote:

CaughtABuzz wrote:

All of the above.

Best shooting will be on tribal ground. Its also the most difficult to find reliable guides.

Standing Rock and Eagle Butte can be very good, and no guide needed. Lots of miles, and a cordial attitude around most small towns will get you access to some stuff. But you will burn your whole first year trying to find access.

Rosebud and Pine Ridge have the highest populations, but finding reputable guides is tough. And the guys who are reputable are booked by January 1st, and turning away work constantly.

If you are researching now, it's probably for next year, unless you have the deep pockets to get book through one of the pheasant lodges.

info and help is much appreciated TrophyCatcher....i'll keep poking around but it seems like we will scheduling for next summer

at Pheasantsfest I spoke to one of those pheasant lodges thinking I could find a reasonable price to go hunt yotes in the winter....I almost passed out when they discussed the price at the booth and told me so dont think i'll be clearing the pockets for some prairie dogs

Posted on: 4/17 16:10:12

LSF Member
From Central MN
Obscene isn't it?

http://www.dakotahuntingtrips.com/outfitters/prairiedoglodge.html

This outfit shoots in the same area we do, but only on private lands, so the license is $50 cheaper. The guy i use is $100/person/day and lodging isn't included, but he only takes like five or six groups a year, and it's always the same people. He doesn't need the extra work i guess.

Posted on: 4/17 16:34:33

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page