Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Opener suggestions?
LSF Member
From Park Rapids
We're heading to LOW staying at Wigwam the weekend after opener for 4 days this year, usually fish Red, but couldn't find a place to stay. Ice out will have been substantially earlier than the two previous times we've fished up there that weekend, so I'm assuming the fish will be moving out of 4 mile bay by then, is this a good assumption to start with?

Do you guys usually try to anchor up in the gap so you stay in some current, or is it smarter to just get away from people and start drifting jigs in 15 feet or what is an early season strategy up there?

Years past we just ended up in 4 mile bay anchored up with a million people because the ice was still on the lake right at the gap so the decision was easy! Fishing was tough, tons of current and lots of debris on the bottom.

Another thought was fishing the river, anyone do that in open water season? Drifting jigs, or what does a guy do once the flow is down and clarity is up?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Scraper

Posted on: 4/20 9:35:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Opener suggestions?
LSF Member
From Couple of harbors
Everything you just said works up there that time of the year. Don't forget to bring blades either.

Posted on: 4/20 22:53:24

LSF Member
From Park Rapids
What about bait? I'm confused by everyone using frozen shiners, is it just a matter of availability up there? If I brought minnows from down south, they'd be better than frozen shiners wouldn't they? They just turn to mush and fall off right away in my experience.

Posted on: 4/24 15:30:04

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
Emerald Shiners are the primary forage. Gotta keep the frozen ones cold and handle with a little care. The main push for emeralds is in the fall in the river so once they run out of the lives your are stuck with using frozen. Rainbows, spots and fatheads also can work well.

Posted on: 4/24 17:34:32

LSF Member
I'm with scrapedogg.. This weather is making me try to decide the best location for opener. Closer to the river as water may still be cold? North over to whiskey, 16, 12 mile? Or something on the south shore?

Posted on: 4/25 9:15:01

LSF Member
Water temp night b4 opener/Wind speed for opening day are the two factors I would use to determine where to fish.You have all summer long to get beat up by LOW in the wind!c63

Posted on: 5/1 14:35:41

LSF Member
From Park Rapids
Anybody out fishing this last weekend? We are heading up on Thursday wondering what the bite is like on the south end of the lake and how the river flow is if anyone has any updated information. Thanks for the help!

Posted on: 5/14 23:49:09

LSF Member
From Park Rapids
Anyone been out?? I can't seem to find a report anywhere! Just got to baudette, blowing like a banshee, hopefully we can catch a few in 4 mile because I don't think we will venture too far from there in the waves.

Posted on: 5/18 13:58:08

LSF Member
I was not at the south shore this last weekend, however, let me tell you best opener have had in a while! 3 person limit in less than 2 hours all 16 plus inches. Check out Kurts reports and videos he lists on the link below and fishes south shore. I know 4 mile was also hot last weekend.

http://fishingminnesota.com/forums/forum/71-lake-of-the-woods-fishing-reports-hunting-events/

Posted on: 5/18 14:50:17

LSF Member
From Park Rapids
Caught some fish north of 4 mile in 22 fow yesterday. Lots of dunks but we sorted through plenty to have a good fish fry last night. It seems like we may be dodging a bullet on the wind today, forecast keeps showing it getting tamer and tamer this afternoon. Should be a fun day!

Posted on: 5/20 9:55:05

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page