Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

G3 boats
LSF Member
From Granite Falls/Breckenridge
Anyone run a 185 G3? Just wondering if they are decent boats? They are alot cheaper than the major aluminum boat companies. There is some truth to you get what you pay for. I relize ther is not a huge dealer network out there for them. But would they be a serious boat to look at when upgrading to in a year or 2?

Posted on: 4/20 15:31:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: G3 boats
LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
You'll get some different answers here so here was my experience.

I was looking for a boat 10 years ago. I was told to look at Lund, Crestliner or Alumacraft because the rest are junk. To make a long story shorter, I bought a Lowe and have been happy with the purchase for 10 years a do not plan on getting anything new anytime soon.

By going the direction I did, I got into a newer boat and more loaded for what I would have got with one of the big three. My boat has been through two kids, multiple trips to LOW, Leach and various other vacations.

I don't believe there is a ton of differences between boats. I believe that you get the boat what you want and ignore the name on the side.

I have two friends that have G3 boats and I've never heard them mention anything about quality. The one wishes he had a tiller.

Everything being said I do think a big difference is aluminum and glass.

Good luck,

Jon

Posted on: 4/20 18:57:21

LSF Member
Agreed. Buy a boat based on the layout and features you like not the name. The reason they are cheaper is because the market is priced off lunds and crestliners up here.

Funny store, my coworker is moving to MI and buying a 21 foot cabin cruiser for less than what a 18' crestiner sportfish is going for. Makes me sick how over priced fishing boats are. The 21' boat has huge motor, built in bathroom system, sink and other features you'd never find in a Lund or crestliner.

My point is, you might think the G3 is cheap...but in fact the other boats are way over priced!

Posted on: 4/20 20:38:18

Pro Staff
From Grand Forks, North Dakota
I have been running G3 boats since 2009 and have owned 3 of them in that time. I have been very happy with the boats and the company. I've been to the factory two times and have seen how they build everything from a jon boat to a walleye boat to a pontoon and have no issue with saying you will enjoy the boat.

The dealer network is small up here but I think you will like that boat. And they come with Yamaha motors and you can't go wrong with that.

Posted on: 4/20 20:41:37
Catfish University

LSF Member
I went to the boat show with the intention of looking at all the brands of aluminum boats, and I looked them over good. And I will agree with what the other guys said, find a boat that fits your needs and go with it, they are all really close in quality.

That being said, I was very impressed with the G3, and the quality looked good. And the Yammy tied on back is a big plus in my book.

My personal opinion, climbing all over them, looking at all there is offered, is that the Alumacraft is my favorite by far. Fits all my needs, and has all the options I want in a boat. But the price tag went with them too.

Posted on: 4/21 9:12:29

LSF Member
From MN
I'll throw a wrench in the opinions I see here. My family went with an off brand, Smokercraft somewhere around 2000-2005. We used this exclusively on Mille Lacs. The big waves have popped many rivets and the boat continues to leak like a siv.

Additionally, I know a Tracker or Lowe (cant remember) which the waves ripped a nice hole in the bottom of the boat on Mille Lacs.

In my opinion, I'd say it depends on the type of abuse you plan on putting it though.

Posted on: 4/21 12:45:43

LSF Member
Quote:

EyeHunter09 wrote:
I'll throw a wrench in the opinions I see here. My family went with an off brand, Smokercraft somewhere around 2000-2005. We used this exclusively on Mille Lacs. The big waves have popped many rivets and the boat continues to leak like a siv.

Additionally, I know a Tracker or Lowe (cant remember) which the waves ripped a nice hole in the bottom of the boat on Mille Lacs.

In my opinion, I'd say it depends on the type of abuse you plan on putting it though.

I'll wrench the wrench LOL....but you bring up a good point. ALL boats will have flaws regardless of brand. Do a search for every boat manufacture out there and you'll wonder how any boat floats! I believe Lund had a few years where the transoms were basically falling apart. My Uncle put gas in his brand new boat (Can't remember the brand but it was "top end") and they forgot to put a fuel tank in it...found out on opening morning when he filler her up and gas ran straight out!

Boats aren't like buying a car because typically what makes or breaks and automobile is the engine...boat hulls are generally going to last many many years. On a boat, you can pick your "engine."

Posted on: 4/21 13:37:12

LSF Member
I have owned a G3 with a 115 Yamaha.. after getting wet too many times. I got a new 2016 1800 tyee with a 150 Mercury... Best decision I ever made was to trade that boat in.. Now I don't get wet. If you buy that G3 get a rain suit...

Posted on: 4/21 14:08:48

LSF Member
From vadnais heights
I have a 2005 smpkercraft and I love it for the kind of fishing I do. It's been out on kabetogama and Mille laces. It will get tossed arounaround in big water but I've seen similar lunds do the same. It's a 16.5 footer also so that also makes a difference.

Posted on: 4/21 15:20:51

LSF Member
I agree I have the g3 150 Outfitter nice boat love the 30 horse Yamaha but get a rain suit not unbearable but enough to not be happy to pay another 40 or so months on it. I have owned 12 boats so far in my time the worse ones in my opinion were Crestliner and Lund. The Lund I learned how to bail water every trip. this was on 2 of them. Yamaha helped me to never paddle back home again. I had a 2015 Smoker craft Big Fish, I could have bought a rubber dingy and came out better. I will say I do like my boat overall.

Posted on: 4/21 17:15:13

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page