Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2)

Re: Seasoning a Cast Iron Skillet
LSF Member
Question for ya HawgFarmer... You asked if I use a stainless spatula, as if that is something I should be doing. I haven't - I've been using a hard plastic one with a flat, relatively sharpened edge. Not knowing different, I assumed that a stainless spatula would scrape away the layer of seasoning.

Why stainless? Does using stainless risk damaging the seasoning layer?

Posted on: 4/25 17:03:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
Quote:

HawgFarmer wrote:
Quote:

IronDioPriest wrote:

I'm probably over the top, but I'm not ever using the pan without heating it up and oiling it after washing, and I'm probably using it 5 or 6 days a week for one thing or another. Sometimes more than once a day.

I'm enjoying kind of nursing it along, watching it change over time. But I'm asking these questions because I assumed that by now, it'd have that shiny smooth patina look, and it really doesn't yet. Just kinda, in the middle. Maybe I'm just impatient LOL.

What do you mean by "washing"? Never soap, seldom water?

Never soap, water every time. According to the instructions that came with the pan and what I've been able to gather from reading online, never use soap unless you intend to start from scratch, and otherwise just use hot water, a scraper, and a plastic (like scotchbrite) pad.

Is that not right, according to your experience?

Posted on: 4/25 17:06:58

LSF Member
From Lake Lillian, MN
I use chainmail to clean mine and it works awesome.

Posted on: 4/25 17:26:12

LSF Member
Quote:

TightLine wrote:
I use chainmail to clean mine and it works awesome.

Wow, I never heard of that before, so I thought you were joking. Internet is a beautiful thing! Thanks for the tip!

Posted on: 4/25 17:35:37

Anonymous
Chain mail is great- I've never used it but I've seen it.

If I have stuff that I can't get out by scraping, I use coarse salt as an abrasive with hot water.

If you are using your pan pretty regularly, you probably don't need to clean with water unless it is a big mess. Remember, you are heating the heck out of it every time you use it which sterilizes it. After use I just scrape over the trash and get the last little bits out by putting a quarter size puddle of oil in the pan and wiping with a paper towel. My pan hasn't seen water in months.

Go to town on that thing with steel tools! The best part of CI is not having to use a #$%$ plastic spatula to flip your eggs! CI was around for decades (centuries?) before plastic was invented. The seasoning is really hard and when you spread the force out over the length of the spatula edge it doesn't seem to dig in. When you are done cooking, scrape the heck out of it with your spatula- you will free up the food bits but leave the hard seasoning behind. Don't be shy, really scrape it, but don't dig at stuff with the corner of you spatula.

Scotchbrite uses a really hard abrasive that is probably peeling at least some your seasoning off. I don't use scotchbrite for anything as it seems to damage the finish of anything it touches.

For reference: this is the only spatula that I haven't managed to bend from scraping (4x2.5"):
https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell-Pancake-Turner-Stainless-Walnut/dp/B002CJNBTO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1493161053&sr=8-4&keywords=metal+turner

Posted on: 4/25 18:00:43

LSF Member
Just followed that link to Amazon and ordered that spatula, plus a stainless steel chain-mail scrubber. Thanks a bunch fellas.

Posted on: 4/25 18:36:38

Anonymous
I have a 12 inch pan from my Scandinavian grandfather in law from story city Iowa that is at least 67 years old and that old thing gives me a hard time a few times a year. Season it like the others mentioned, sometimes 2-4 times in a row and season it a handful of times a year. I bought this little tool at bed bath and beyond for a buck or 2 it works great for clean up and gets into the tight areas.

Attach file:

jpg  0426170606.jpg (1,734.82 KB)
893_5900808e940ed.jpg 3264X1836 px

Posted on: 4/26 6:12:31

LSF Member
Word from the not so wise- I once brought my grandfathers pan to Canada & one of the crew left the plastic spatula in with the potatoes with the heat on. It melted into the pan. I thought it was destroyed but after boiling water in it and treating it with oil dozens of times it's back to normal.

Our Traeger came last week and I've used this skillet for scallop/seafood & it works great!

Posted on: 4/26 9:49:43

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page