Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Fishing off a kayak
LSF Member
From Coon Rapids
Do any of you ever fish off a kayak? I only started fishing about a year ago, and have found the shore fishing options around Coon Rapids kind of underwhelming. I don't have the desire nor the means to buy a boat, so I was wondering if any of you guys have ever fished from a kayak, and if so, what was your experience like?

Posted on: 4/27 0:05:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Fishing off a kayak
LSF Member
From On the fish!
Haven't done it much but I like it the nicer ones are really easy to fish out of but the more Simple ones get the job done too

Posted on: 4/27 5:30:57

LSF Member
From Duluth/Waskish
Hey, if it floats, you can fish off it! Obviously lots of folks fish out of canoes...the main problem with yaks is room for stuff, rods, etc... There are a whole batch of newer fishing yaks out there that address those issues, but most of them are pretty pricey. So kinda like buying a boat...which they are:)

Posted on: 4/27 5:40:11

LSF Member
From Metro
Im from Coon rapids and I fish out of a canoe all the time. Plus there are alot of lakes in the cities that ban gas motors, you'll mostly have the place to yourself, which is a nice option to have mid summer when the ski boats show up, and threaten to swamp your small craft. I say get that canoe/yack, and be wary of big jerks in big boats

Posted on: 4/27 7:01:54

LSF Member
From Maple Grove
I fish out of a kayak & my 17' lund. About 30/70. The bigger boat is nicer for being out all day, hitting many different portions of the lake etc.

It's hard to beat the kayak for the fun of the fight though. A good size bass or northern will pull the kayak around slightly, it's super fun to fight them in right next to you in the water.

I use the kayak a lot on small lakes, & inlets on larger lakes like Minnetonka where you can't get big boats into & steams. Would definitely recommend.

**if you fish out of a kayak I'd highly recommend a collapsible or break down rod. Might not be the nicest thing ever, but is way nicer than trying to maneuver a 6' rod around a 10' kayak.

Posted on: 4/27 8:42:33

LSF Member
From Fargo, ND
I picked up a yak last year and fish out of it quite a bit. There are things in the plus and the minus columns. I'll list some of mine for you below.

I would strongly recommend testing out a number of yaks before you decide on one so you get the one that best fits you. If you don't, you may find you don't like the yak you bought and end up thinking that all kayaks suck, when it's really just a matter of you didn't get the right one for you. I believe there are a number of places in the cities and surrounding area where you can rent kayaks to try them out. Clearwater Outfitters (http://www.cwoutfitting.com/) is probably a bit of a haul for you, but I do know they rent.

I would also sign up for MN kayak fishing association (it's free) - http://www.mnkayakfishingassociation.org/. You can find a lot of helpful people there, many of whom would probably be willing to meet up and let you try out a kayak, and may even have a spare for you to rent.

Another great resource for is the YakAngler forums - http://www.yakangler.com/forum/index. You can find reviews of a lot of kayaks, ask questions, find suggestions for rigging your kayak, get recommendations on equipment, etc.

Good luck!

-MS

Downsides:
- Depending on the yak you end up with, there's not a ton of storage space. A lot of guys end up with a milk crate storage system behind the seat that can hold multiple tackle boxes. This is what I use. Honestly, I swap out boxes depending on what I'm targeting, I don't find this to be a big issue. I bring a bunch of tackle in my big boat and end up only using a couple of the boxes on any given day.

- Comfort - There's a wide variety of yaks available with different seating styles. You're going to want to go with a fishing yak where you sit on top vs a sit in traditional kayak. Depending on the style you get, this means you may end up with a wet butt. I have an Old Town Predator XL with a raised seat, so I never get a wet butt. The seat is also very comfortable and adjustable. I can fish 8 hours in mine and only have to get up on shore every once in a while to stretch the legs. I have back issues and was concerned that I may end up not being able to fish for very long, but I found that not to be an issue with my kayak.

- Stability - these things obviously aren't as stable as a big boat. The wider the yak is, the more stable it will be. At the same time, the wider it is, it will be heavier and won't paddle as easily, meaning you won't be to go as far or as fast as you could in a smaller yak, but you're also less likely to roll. Some of the bigger yaks are a lot more stable and allow you to actually stand. I was standing in mine last weekend and my friend Chris was standing for at least an hour in his Predator MX.

- Visibility to other watercraft - Yaks are a lot smaller, and you're sitting low to the water, which means you're just not as visible. I prefer not to fish bigger lakes with a lot of boat traffic because boats just aren't looking for something like a kayak out there. I honestly haven't found this to be a huge issue as there are so many bodies of water out there that aren't heavily trafficked.

Plusses:
- You can get in places you just can't get with a boat. I only need about 8" of water to float. This allows me to get into flooded areas that I couldn't possibly get to with my 17' Lund.

- You can access smaller waters that you may not be able to get into with a bigger boat. With my Lund, I can't get into a lot of the smaller slough type lakes unless there's a proper ramp. On windy days, these may be the better places to fish, and you can just carry your yak down to the water. I was fishing in 40+ mph winds on a river last year because the river was out of the wind. I got out quite a few days that I just wouldn't be comfortable taking my boat out.

- Relaxation - It's amazing how relaxing it is to be down close to the water with no gas fumes, engine sound, or even the sound of an electric motor! Plus, I'm usually fishing bodies of water that don't have as many people. When I fish certain rivers, I almost never see anyone, which is really nice.

Posted on: 4/27 9:36:04

LSF Member
My only input is to be vigilant for larger boats and their wakes. Years ago I was fishing on Medicine Lake in my 14' canoe., my back was turned away from the wake of a power boat that had passed some distance away and I was overturned before I ever saw the wake. I think the power boat was a reasonable distance away unlike many power boaters who have no concept of the potential dangers of the wakes they create. Another event on the St. Croix river happened when a power boater clearly saw me and passed me closely but I was prepared and got turned so I wasn't swamped. Poetic justice on this one, when I heard his outboard race after hitting a sand bar, I tuned to see him as his transom ripped out of his boat. Another boater came to his aid.

Posted on: 4/27 11:51:10

LSF Member
From Mn
I cant use my 9ft 6inch StCroix kayak anymore Comes with break down paddle cockpit cover No splash skirt and needs Lisence.
I enjoyed it for years fly fishing, spincasting small streams,lakes an back waters weight is 60 lbs camo pattern. Gettin old and disabled now. 250 bucks I'm near Willmar Mn. PM Me if interested

Posted on: 4/27 13:31:31

LSF Member
From Metro
I do almost all my fishing in an old Coleman scanoe with a small trolling motor on it. The scanoe has most of the advantages the yak has except ease of carrying. It is a big wide canoe, but not too big, I can load and unload it off the roof of my car. The nice thing is there is room for a buddy and lots of gear. Last year my son and I were fishing Lake Centerville and we had a ski boat with a ton of ballast pass near us multiple times. Their wake was so big, I was turning into it, and the waves were nearly coming over the bow. Not wanting to go swimming courtesy of a ski boat, we went to the other side of the lake. 10 minutes later, there he was. Called the sheriff's Dept and told him that these guys were damaging shoreline, and intentionally trying to swamp small craft. I know they saw me, I made sure of it. Cops were waiting at the access for them. I have no patience for that kind of behavior, I used to fish from a float tube, and used to get harrased by ski boats all the time.

Posted on: 4/27 16:41:07

LSF Member
From Coon Rapids
Wow! Lots of great information from everyone. Part of the appeal of a kayak for me as well is that being a novice angler, I kind of like the ability of making mistakes and figuring things out on my own, which the kayak provides since it's just a one-man operation to get in and out of the water/truck.

Posted on: 4/27 21:23:13

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page