Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2)

Re: Fishing off a kayak
LSF Member
Buy an Old Town Pack. Solo 12' canoe that is incredibly durable in all waters. Dont mess with yaks. I guided in the boundary waters and prefer this vessel over anything else. Even graphite and Kevlar canoes. Get the Royalex Pack.

Posted on: 4/27 23:01:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Coon Rapids
I hadn't really considered a canoe, but I've started looking at a few since I read your post, and I really like the idea. The openness of the canoe for storage is really appealing. I do like the Old Town Next a lot, but it's just a little too rich for my blood, unfortunately. I feel comfortable spending maybe $700. I also like the Discovery 119 and the Guide 119 (I think they might be basically the same canoe. Although, the woven seat doesn't look too terribly comfortable. Does anyone else have an opinion on canoes vs kayaks?

Posted on: 4/29 11:29:09

LSF Member
From Mn
I will post a pic soon AnthonyC
I have a 13 FT CANOE Aluminum besides the 9ft6inch yak. the canoe is hard to control without a front seater,Big waves will capsize it before a yak,And the wind factor is much lessor in a yak cause its so close to water level a canoe you sit high.
Maybe you may check into some place your way that has canoes an yaks for trial runs to decide which to buy.I've read of many dealers that have that every year Google it see what comes up.Personally when solo I'll take a small yak over a canoe every time.

Posted on: 4/29 17:01:41

LSF Member
From Coon Rapids
In addition to the kayak vs. canoe debate (by the way, I think I really like the solo canoe idea), I'm about to ask a really rookie question because that's what I am. Let's say that I want to take the kayak/canoe on (name slow river). How does one generally get back to his car after a day of exploring? Do you start by paddling upstream and letting the current carry you back when you're done? Or do you head downstream and paddle your way back up when you're done? Is either option possible on a river like the Rum? I've fished on the bank, but have no clue how strong the current really is. Or do you just go with the current and make arrangements to get back to the car some other way? I plan to get my feet wet (no pun intended) on lakes before I hit the current, but I'd still like to know what the options are on the river as it seems like it would be quite a bit more fun to explore on a man-powered vessel.

Posted on: 4/30 1:26:32

LSF Member
From Fargo, ND
Quote:

AnthonyC wrote:
In addition to the kayak vs. canoe debate (by the way, I think I really like the solo canoe idea), I'm about to ask a really rookie question because that's what I am. Let's say that I want to take the kayak/canoe on (name slow river). How does one generally get back to his car after a day of exploring? Do you start by paddling upstream and letting the current carry you back when you're done? Or do you head downstream and paddle your way back up when you're done? Is either option possible on a river like the Rum? I've fished on the bank, but have no clue how strong the current really is. Or do you just go with the current and make arrangements to get back to the car some other way? I plan to get my feet wet (no pun intended) on lakes before I hit the current, but I'd still like to know what the options are on the river as it seems like it would be quite a bit more fun to explore on a man-powered vessel.

Re: upstream or downstream first - I've done both, but generally prefer to head upstream first and float back. Of course, sometimes the fishing is better downstream of your launch, so you gotta go the other way.

If you're fishing with somebody else, you can take two vehicles and drop one at the take out spot and take the other to the launch. Some areas also have transport services that can either drop your car off for you or meet you at your takeout spot and take you back.

-MS

Posted on: 4/30 10:37:16

LSF Member
From Coon Rapids
After all that kayak talk, I ended up buying an Old Town Discovery 119 solo. The openness of it was just too alluring, and you sit almost as low as you would on a kayak, so I don't think stability is much of an issue. With that being said, do you guys have any suggestions as to where I should go exploring with it near the north metro area?

Posted on: 5/10 23:57:05

LSF Member
From Land O Lakes
I used to take my kayak down the rum, below the coon rapids dam, the crow river... all fishing walleye...

Posted on: 5/11 9:14:42

LSF Member
From Burnsville
Try the Rum out of the Anoka fairgrounds, it's where I would take my canoe. Just be sure to watch the USGS webpage to see how high the river is running and what the flow rate is. Lower and slower is better for your paddling comfort. It's also a slow-no wake for a mile or two going upstream, so you don't have to worry as much about larger boats.

You can also go up to Rum River Central park for a small fee or season pass. Launch from in the park, do a nice float down and lock up your canoe to a tree under the Roanoke/7th Ave NW bridge & carry your stuff back to your car in the park and drive back out to the canoe. Or take a buddy and have him watch the stuff while you get the car to load back up.

Anytime I do river fishing, unless I have a loop where I can tie up and walk back to get the car, I go upstream. You always have more energy at the start of your trip and keeps you from getting into trouble. The Rum is the same way. Sometimes it seems like it doesn't even flow, other times I have tried going on out where I had my trolling motor on high and still needed to paddle in order to make any progress upstream. Just be careful, wear your lifejacket (esp. when solo), and keep your phone in a waterproof container or ziploc bag to keep it dry in case you hit something and flip.

Posted on: 5/17 7:40:56

LSF Member
From Coon Rapids
Thanks for the great ideas! I think I'm more intimidated by the logistics of everything than the canoeing itself. Hopefully I can take it out this weekend if the rain lets up. Maybe to a lake for starters so I can get a feel for the canoe... Possibly Centerville.

Posted on: 5/17 17:13:44

LSF Member
Another option(I know getting into ironman territory)is to put a mountain bike in the front of your canoe and ride back to your car!I like going with the current!Some places are not good to leave gear (even locked up)so use common sense!Find a person or family to watch if in a public setting.A kind gesture of gifted fish and or a smile will get you far!!c63

Posted on: 5/18 4:01:25

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page