Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

best small gas trolling motor
LSF Member
From Duluth/Waskish
Maybe "best" isn't the right word...not looking for a Mercury VS Yamaha thread.
I have an older 16 ft Lund...bench seats and all, no electric, except a small battery to run the locator. 1990 25 HP Yamaha 2 stroke...runs well, but doesn't always troll down as far as I'd like, and it's getting older and sputters a bit now and then. Plus when we're on the far end of Red I wouldn't mind having a little insurance.
So I want a smaller 2nd motor. I expect to buy new, unless I found a great deal on a like new used one.
4 stroke no doubt, I don't see any advantage to a new 2 stroke. I was initially thinking a little 4 or 6 hp, and still not ruling that out. But also willing to spend more/go bigger if theres a reason.
The 2 potential reasons I'm seeing for going bigger;
Is a 2 cylinder going to be smoother, quieter, etc.. than a little 1 cylinder 4 HP?
And fuel injection. Looks like this doesn't kick in til at least 15 HP depending on brand. How important is that? If I were to get a 15, it could feasibly be a replacement for the 25 at some point I guess. I'm over the whole speed thing:)
My main desire here is smooth, quiet, trouble free operation.
Thoughts, experiences? thanks guys

oh, and I know many EFI motors require power (although I see that might be changing) so having a full size deep cycle onboard is no problem.
Also, I see Suzuki actually has DFI down to 9.9 hp...and thiers a dealer in Grand Rapids (1/2 way, and on the way, to the cabin, which is a plus) From what I can find the other mfg's start EFI at 25 hp

Posted on: 4/27 18:21:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: best small gas trolling motor
LSF Member
From Savage, MN
We used a 4 HP Evinrude weedless for years as our trolling motor. It could idle down a LOT farther than most other larger motors. And you could run all weekend on a three gallon tank of gas.

Posted on: 4/28 14:21:27

LSF Member
From Spicer Area
I believe the Suzuki dfi do not need. Battery to,operate would also be a plus for a backup motor.

Posted on: 4/28 14:43:02

LSF Member
From Duluth/Waskish
so talking to the Yamaha dealer he pointed out (or suggested?) something I hadn't considered; that the slowest any of the smallish motors will go is still potentially too fast to creep along a boat as light as mine, and going with the smallest option (or nearly so) would be the best option...so he was suggesting the 4 hp.
Makes some sense to me I guess...and I'm just not getting a lot of feedback and am about out of places to ask/look. Thoughts?
Oh...and for 100 more I can get the 6 instead...if all else (low end) were the same I'd take the extra high end, for the few times it might have to get me home from far up the lake.

Posted on: 5/1 8:11:46

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page