Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Advice for crispy deep-fried fritters?
LSF Member
I'm not looking for anyone's specific batter recipe. I'm looking for advice on how to make mine crispier.

I make a deep fried cauliflower dish that the family loves. The batter basically consists of flour, corn starch, minced peppers/garlic/ginger, water, and spices, all mixed together - then you fold in the raw cauliflower pieces until it is all coated, then fried for 2 minutes in 375 peanut oil.

The batter is tasty, but it is thin and has no crispness or consistency to it. When we eat this dish at a restaurant, the batter has a consistency and a crispness that I'd like to emulate. I've tried adding an egg, and it does little more than make the batter gummy and make the fritters stick together in the oil.

Any advice on how to accomplish this? Would beer substituting the water have an effect? More flour? Less of something?

The one thing that is fixed is the max temp of the oil. My deep fryer only goes to 375 max, but that temp is usually sufficient for deep frying anything else.

Posted on: 4/28 12:14:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Advice for crispy deep-fried fritters?
Staff Team
From Monticello/Paynesville
I'd recommend keeping the egg addition as this is the base of a fritter batter but also adding some baking powder to your batter. This will make your fritter more airy, almost like a hushpuppy. You shouldn't need corn starch or water in a fritter batter, the egg is all the moisture you'll need and acts as the protein that binds everything together. Every now and again you may see a small amount of milk in a corn fritter recipe but it's a rare occurrence. Also try frying them in a half inch of oil in a cast iron skillet almost like a potato pancake, allowing them to crisp on one side, flipping and allowing the other side to crisp. Sounds to me like your batter is too thin with the lack of egg and addition of unnecessary liquid.

Posted on: 4/28 12:45:35

LSF Member
Thanks highbreeze. Anybody else have suggestions? I'm gonna experiment with every suggestion I get, and report back.

Posted on: 4/28 13:01:08

LSF Member
From St. Paul, Hackensack-Longville-Leech
Quote:

IronDioPriest wrote:
Thanks highbreeze. Anybody else have suggestions? I'm gonna experiment with every suggestion I get, and report back.

http://www.lakestatefishing.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=88032&forum=58&post_id=635120#forumpost635120

There's my buttermilk fried grouse, chicken, quail recipe which turns out great.

I use a buttermilk marinade for moisture and no egg wash for the birds.....after marinade pour into colander to drain but dont shake. Use a gallon ziploc and shake a few pieces at a time and lay on wire rack

For the Extra crispy go back and shake each piece a 2nd time in the flour coating.

konw you have a deep fryer with limts but depending on what your frying your chicken in.....if it is a large turkey fryer and the oil is not that high you can put over to do the pressure- broasted chicken method.....also could bump temo closer to 400 at start

Posted on: 4/28 13:39:57

LSF Member
From Chaska
Definitely need some Baking Powder in there. That will make it more fluffy and Crispy
Make sure the oil is up to temperature and don't put too much in at one time. You want as little change in the oil temperature as possible.

Posted on: 4/28 13:46:43

Ignorance and inconsideration are the two great causes of the ruin of mankind.(unknown)

LSF Member
Question about the baking powder... when I read up on what it does in a batter, it says that it produces carbon dioxide gas. Wouldn't replacing the water in my batter with beer have a similar effect?

Posted on: 4/28 14:44:50

Try Chuck Wagons onion ring batter. Mix in a bowl with beer till its fairly runny - don't want too much sticking on whatever you are doing. For me its a little more than one beer per box of mix. Stir meal in and Let it drip off a bit and put in hot oil. let it cook awhile and flip if needed to get all sides cooked. Result is a very crispy and lightly coated. Oil temp - I don't know, hot enough so its cooking good. You will know when its done - can feel hard coating with tongs.

Posted on: 4/29 1:42:20

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Peanut oil fries really great at 375, but if that's the max temp of your cooker than chances are you aren't frying at 375. It dips fast and recovery takes awhile which is why other things you cook longer turn out better. You could try a lower smoke point oil or a different cooking device for your peanut oil. peanut oil doesn't smoke until close to 450. Id start there before changing your recipe to much if you like it how it is.

Posted on: 4/29 23:27:23

cornstarch will do it. Use a ratio with flour either 2/3 flour 1/3 cornstarch or 3/4 flour 1/4 cornstarch in batters and breadings. since using cornstarch I've noticed much crispier results at lower temps 325-350. If you like crispy start using cornstarch. Experiment. Good luck

I see now cornstarch is in recipe. Maybe try more cs less flour? Good luck

Posted on: 4/30 9:06:14

LSF Member
also try replacing regular flour with soft as silk cake flour it has a much finer texture. and will give you a lighter crispier coating.

Posted on: 4/30 12:43:07

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page