Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2)

Re: Advice for crispy deep-fried fritters?
LSF Member
I tried my beer idea last night, to little effect. It was fine, but no more crispy than normal. In response to MWNN, the recipe already calls for a pretty hefty ratio of corn starch to flour - 10 Tbsp flour to 4 Tbsp corn starch.

The other ingredients are small amounts of minced garlic, minced ginger, minced Serrano chilis, soy sauce, turmeric, and salt. Because of the liquids naturally in several of those ingredients, the batter only needs about 1/3-1/2 cup of beer to coat a head of cauliflower fritters.

I'm thinking next time I'll use a bit of baking powder and see how that works. Maybe 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp.

Posted on: 4/30 12:46:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Chaska
Good luck!

Posted on: 4/30 15:20:16

Ignorance and inconsideration are the two great causes of the ruin of mankind.(unknown)

LSF Member
From Mn
Quote:

IronDioPriest wrote:
I tried my beer idea last night, to little effect. It was fine, but no more crispy than normal. In response to MWNN, the recipe already calls for a pretty hefty ratio of corn starch to flour - 10 Tbsp flour to 4 Tbsp corn starch.

The other ingredients are small amounts of minced garlic, minced ginger, minced Serrano chilis, soy sauce, turmeric, and salt. Because of the liquids naturally in several of those ingredients, the batter only needs about 1/3-1/2 cup of beer to coat a head of cauliflower fritters.

I'm thinking next time I'll use a bit of baking powder and see how that works. Maybe 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp.

Baking powder will puff it up and make it fluffier/lighter,Your recipe sounds just right,Try using cheap Vodka as a mixing liquid.Vodka is about 80 Proof which is 40% alcohol.When the alcohol hits hot grease poof its evaporated and in the end reducing the moisture in the batter quickly making it LOTS crispier!

Posted on: 5/1 12:17:08

LSF Member
From Bloomington
They're all good idea's, my is either add Panko bread crumbs or just regular bread crumbs to your batter, or roll them in bread crumbs once coated in batter. In my experience it has added that real depth of crunch to almost anything your frying. But you need to be careful because bread crumbs will brown and burn quickly in hot oil making the finished product look speckled with burnt pieces.

Posted on: 5/1 14:17:02

LSF Member
Quote:

dew2 wrote:
Quote:

IronDioPriest wrote:

Baking powder will puff it up and make it fluffier/lighter,Your recipe sounds just right,Try using cheap Vodka as a mixing liquid.Vodka is about 80 Proof which is 40% alcohol.When the alcohol hits hot grease poof its evaporated and in the end reducing the moisture in the batter quickly making it LOTS crispier!

Does the vodka do anything to the flavor?

Posted on: 5/2 19:51:14

LSF Member
I know that shore lunch beer batter is basically wheat flour, corn starch, and baking powder. That makes a nice, crispy, golden brown crust on fish, so I'm hopeful that adding baking powder to my recipe will yield a similar result with cauliflower. I'm certainly open to using vodka for the liquid, if I could be confident that it wouldn't alter the flavor.

Posted on: 5/2 19:58:31

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page