Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

(1) 2 3 4 »

Mille Lacs Stocking Results
LSF Member
Heard a rumour that the results of the stocking last year were in. Of the 700 or so juvenile walleye collected last fall only 4% were from the stocking. So basically over 250 million fry were naturally produced last year. Broken down by acreage less than 15 feet that comes out to almost 6,000 fry per acre which is 5-10x what Red, Leech, and Winnibigosh annually produce.

Huh, I could swore that I've been told repeatedly that there's a spawning problem in Mille Lacs. I'm sure though the tribal hater will find some way to blame netting.

Posted on: 4/30 15:04:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Mille Lacs Stocking Results
LSF Member
From Cass Lake/South Haven
If you think the tribe is helping the lake you are wrong.

Posted on: 4/30 15:16:37

Anonymous
Otter, do you have a link to the stocking efforts and said results?

Posted on: 4/30 17:32:20

LSF Member
Quote:

otter wrote:
Heard a rumour that the results of the stocking last year were in. Of the 700 or so juvenile walleye collected last fall only 4% were from the stocking. So basically over 250 million fry were naturally produced last year. Broken down by acreage less than 15 feet that comes out to almost 6,000 fry per acre which is 5-10x what Red, Leech, and Winnibigosh annually produce.

Huh, I could swore that I've been told repeatedly that there's a spawning problem in Mille Lacs. I'm sure though the tribal hater will find some way to blame netting.

Rumors... they count as fact right? If spearing and netting during the spawn had no effect on lake then the tribes in Wisconsin should have to travel so far? Oh wait they ruined a lot of northern Wisconsin.

Posted on: 4/30 17:45:20

LSF Member
I think Otter knows this data, which makes sense, is not a rumor at all. He knows the source and soon the info will be released.

Of course, very few of the posters here will believe it, as they refuse to let biological facts interfere with their preconceived notions and conspiracy theories.

ClearCreek

Posted on: 4/30 18:55:57

LSF Member
From St. Cloud
I usually never even post in any of these type threads but I bet this data will be from a year with late ice our and no netting before opener. I don't care if they take 20,000 pounds out in April may or we take 20,000 pounds out in the winter it's still that many pounds that can't spawn. The taking of the fish isn't tbe problem

Posted on: 4/30 19:04:30

LSF Member
Im just thinking out loud here.In 2010 the native population of minnesota was 63647 according to mn population statistics.(not all fish/net).The number of licensed anglers that year were 1203725 according to mn dnr els.All paid anglers helped a little by buying a license.Some funds are raised buy the buying of sporting goods.The lions share of DNR fisheries funding come from ALL tax paying citizens.Im not sure the stocking of Millelacs is such a great investment.Im not a hater of anybody just think the playing field is crooked!!!c63

Posted on: 4/30 21:13:49

LSF Member
Quote:

chris63 wrote:
Im just thinking out loud here.In 2010 the native population of minnesota was 63647 according to mn population statistics.(not all fish/net).The number of licensed anglers that year were 1203725 according to mn dnr els.All paid anglers helped a little by buying a license.Some funds are raised buy the buying of sporting goods.The lions share of DNR fisheries funding come from ALL tax paying citizens.Im not sure the stocking of Millelacs is such a great investment.Im not a hater of anybody just think the playing field is crooked!!!c63

The stocking is not about replacing fish or boosting numbers. The stocking was done to put a number on natural reproduction. People can say what they want, but this was purely a research project. Once the stocking is finished. The DNR will have an actual number to point to for natural reproduction on a major walleye population. Almost no other states have that. This is the best bang for your buck. Major changes in fisheries management only happen through years of collecting data like this.

Posted on: 4/30 22:09:46

LSF Member
Best bang for the bucks??????????That is in the eyes of the beholder!Even "if" the stocking program was just for research I still say it's a waste of tax-payer funds because the DNR isn't being honest about the population anyway.Easy to throw money around when it's not earned by the folks spending it!The statement about were almost the only state that has this is a perfect example of this!c63

Posted on: 5/1 5:43:14

LSF Member
Seems to me using stocked walleyes as a "test"group may be foolish.How can you compare a farmed fish to one that has to live it's life in the wild from it's beginning?????Waste of time and money/effort!!!Again when spending others money it's easy to justify is it not?????c63

Posted on: 5/1 6:32:25

(1) 2 3 4 »

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page