Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Boat modifications
LSF Member
Hi. Just wondering what sort of modifications people have made to their either new or older vessels. Im always looking for new ideas. For me, I sometimes fish in low light conditions and needed lighting easy on the eyes and yet functional. Wired these up yesterday.

Attach file:

jpg  20170430_183947.jpg (3,514.77 KB)
36404_5907680ec7f60.jpg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 5/1 11:56:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Boat modifications
LSF Member
Do purple rain lights instead!Those blue look cool too!!!c63

Posted on: 5/7 6:28:35

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Looks nice, How do the the blue lights affect night vision?

Posted on: 5/7 20:06:38

LSF Member
I installed white lights prior and they were too bright. The blue is subtle and makes walking around the boat easier. It doesn't help visually other than seeing where you're walking

Posted on: 5/8 1:23:20

LSF Member
From Hastings/ Harris
don't know if it matters, my buddy suggested that if I did it to try and find amber or yellow just so I don't attract a lot of bugs.
I didn't and chose white, but just use them when docking.

Posted on: 6/29 22:12:52

LSF Member
From Ramsey
Quote:

bitekiller wrote:
don't know if it matters, my buddy suggested that if I did it to try and find amber or yellow just so I don't attract a lot of bugs.
I didn't and chose white, but just use them when docking.

I just bought set of 6 amber LED strip lights (each 12" in length) and I'm planning to do the same thing with them.

Posted on: 7/6 17:19:31

LSF Member
I made a relatively simple modification to my front deck that makes a significant difference for fishing. I have a 1988 convertible fish-n-ski - Cajun 19.5' with a Yamaha 200. The back deck has a nice fold-out extension that is large enough for 2 guys (3 in a pinch), but my front deck is very small.

Here is a picture of the front deck in family-mode...

Here is a picture of the front deck in fishing-mode...

As you can see, either way, there is a gaping hole behind the butt-seat. When I'm fishing, turning around to face the back of the boat is inconvenient. I got used to it, but even then I stepped off the ledge a few times. It just wasn't ideal. When I'm fishing, I want to use all the available space up front, and not being able to turn around backwards has been a pain ever since I bought the boat. So I made a simple fitted platform that snugs right into that hole, with a lip that rests across the deck on three sides...

I started by laying a piece of cardboard across the hole with a little weight on its edges to hold it in place. Then I crawled under it with a pencil and just drew around the hole on the bottom of the cardboard. I cut that shape out of the cardboard, and traced it onto 3/4" marine-grade plywood. I cut that out, cutting on the inside of the line to allow for the addition of carpet. I laid the carpet across the hole and pressed the formed board onto the carpet and into the hole, to make sure I had a good fit. Once I was sure the fit was good, I measured for the actual platform, cut that board, sanded them both down, and tacked them together with two screws, just so I could put the whole thing in place and do one final fit-check before finalizing.

Once I was certain the fit was good, I took the tack screws out, and glued the boards together using indoor/outdoor wood glue. Once dry, I screwed the boards together with Stainless wood screws. Then I measured and cut carpet, glued it into place, let it dry most of the way, and finally stapled it on the underside...

Now I can fully utilize the front deck without worrying about stepping into the abyss. It's not as ideal as if it was fit flush to the rest of the deck, but that would've required adding a permanent lip to the inner edge of the existing hole, and this solution avoids that...

Posted on: 7/7 14:48:11

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Well done. Might I suggest keeping a life jacket on even if you can swim. One stub toe and over you go.

Posted on: 7/7 21:39:03

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page