Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Adding a regulator to a propane heater.
Staff Team
From Bloomington
I am looking for some guidance on adding a gas regulator to a propane heater.

This is for a skid house. It has a heater that is just piped to the gas line. The is a on / off valve you turn to increase / decrease the flame. Obviously it is very dangerous. If the flame blows out then gas just dumps into the house. Also the valve handle is opposite of todays's inline valves. Meaning when the valve handle is inline with the gas line it is off. That could also be dangerous.

Not to mention inconvenient. No thermostat. Got up in the middle of the night to 40 degrees a few times.

It seems that a gas regulator with thermocouple and thermostat connections could be added. How does one go about sizing the regulator and where to buy one?

Posted on: 5/1 13:03:47

Re: Adding a regulator to a propane heater.
LSF Member
From Pine City, MN.
it"s not as simple as is sounds.
you will have to change out the gas valve,
pilot and add a regulator
all the things can be purchased at a propane suppler
but what it would cost to retro fit the heater you have now you can usually get a new one for just a few bucks more

just my

Posted on: 5/1 13:31:26

LSF Member
From Perham
Yikes! Does it have a pilot on it currently, or how is that piped? Typically you're going to have a regulator sized for like 14" water column, that plumbs into a gas valve with a pilot line over to a pilot with a thermopile. That's right in line with your pilot flame to turn off the gas to the pilot if the flame goes out. There's a separate line over to your burner from the gas valve. I made one of these up from scratch for my smoker that doesn't run off electricity, just a milivolt signal fed back from the thermopile to the robertshaw gas valve. If your heater doesn't already have a pilot on it, or if it has a tube to a pilot light area but that just tees off of the main gas line, you'll need to put in the gas control valve, it's the brains of the operation. To add a thermostat, you're going to want to get an honeywell aquastat which also sends a milivolt feedback signal to the gas valve allowing you to run it without electricity. This will cycle the main burner on and off while allowing the pilot light to stay lit and reignite the flame when called for. If your setup is totally different than what I'm talking about, disregard, but I could walk you through how I set mine up, just let me know.

Scraper

Posted on: 5/1 15:04:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Staff Team
From Bloomington
There is no pilot light at all. a burner and a valve.

Gas line ---> on/off valve --> burner.

So it seems like I could add the right regulator and be good to go. But it may not be that easy it seems.

This house came from Mille Lacs. I saw someone selling one that looked very similar that was at a resort. The pic of the heater looked identical. The person selling the house said they had a pilot and thermostat. so that got me thinking.

Posted on: 5/1 15:16:44

LSF Member
From Perham
I can take a couple pictures of the components you need.

Posted on: 5/1 16:57:42

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Quote:

scrapedogg wrote:
I can take a couple pictures of the components you need.

That would be great. Thanks

Posted on: 5/1 19:18:14

LSF Member
From Perham
Photos of components attached - the regulators are rated by btu's I believe, just depends on what your heater is.

The valve is shown in the control box along with the aquastat. The aquastat is the skinny grey box, there's a temp probe that sticks out the back of it that's drilled through the wall into the space that's being heated.

The picture of the burner shows the pilot and thermopile sitting right above it as well.

You'll need all of these components to safely run a heater in a space on a thermostat. For what it would take to track all of these down and purchase, I think you could probably get a nice empire direct vent heater on craigslist, but it's an option.

Scraper

Attach file:

jpg  20170501_185356_resized.jpg (881.34 KB)
7283_5908a8fd5ebdc.jpg 1494X2656 px

jpg  20170501_185353_resized.jpg (1,817.31 KB)
7283_5908a90fe115e.jpg 1494X2656 px

jpg  20170501_185429_resized.jpg (1,201.82 KB)
7283_5908a91fa5679.jpg 1494X2656 px

Posted on: 5/2 10:48:11

LSF Member
From Duluth
Them pictures give you a very "generalized" view of what you will need. It looks like a smoker to me. You can get a gas heater valve with the aqua-stat and thermostat-pilot assembly together. Regulators are separate. It's not that complicated, but if you're sleeping in there,it's nothing to just wing either. Find a gas man,or stop by your local propane shop. Safety is cheap.

Posted on: 5/2 13:33:27

Staff Team
From Bloomington
I actually did score a Cozy brand wall furnace. 50k btu. via CL. It is a tall skinny style vs the shorter style of the one in there so I need to move some cabinets but not a big deal.

I looked on amazon and it seems the parts are all there and not that much. It is just knowing how to match it all up to the heater and how to hook it all up.... correctly.

Posted on: 5/2 16:03:00

LSF Member
From Eagan
not only will you have to change the regulator, but also the gas valve. totally different w/c

Posted on: 6/18 21:01:14

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page