Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

New motor options
LSF Member
From Duluth/Waskish
we'll try it here...not much help in the boat/motors category. Simply, these 3 choices;
2.5, 4, or 6 hp single cylinder...the one knock I read about is vibration
8 hp (smallest made) 2 cylinder...will it troll as slow as the above motors?
9.9 EFI 2 cylinder. Suzuki got the EFI down to 9.9 for this year. Worth the $$ over the others which are all carbs? and will it troll down slow enough?

While trolling will be this motors main focus, I also want power left at days end in case the main (older) motor conks out...so no electrics. And I plan on buying new.

Posted on: 5/1 18:30:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: New motor options
LSF Member
From Cedar/Backus
This is from my experience with m fathers boat which was a 1950 Lund Tyee, his package came standard with a 9.9. kicker but he felt the need for a 15hp . Why?? other than to spend more money I do not know nr could I ever get an explanation on this.
This motor could not be ran slow enough to do anything with it, when trolling we were always at the higher range for speed then I cared to be and when we were in tight quarters ( harbors ) using it when you gave it a little throttle it always was way more than you needed and it made for some interesting hollering matches.
We are talking about putting a gas kicker on our 17' boat and I will be more than happy with the smaller single cylinder engine over going for something that is too much for our boat.

Posted on: 5/2 11:11:49

LSF Member
The 2 cylinder 4 stroke motors are WAY smoother. I would say to make sure you ask for a Kicker motor though, the manufactures typically gear them down, run a bigger prop with a lower pitch, so you can troll slower.

And as far as the bigger motors not trolling down slow enough, I have a 25hp Yammy 4-stroke that will troll nicely all day at 1 mph, with the right prop installed.

Posted on: 5/2 11:27:07

LSF Member
If your live bait lindy rigging 1 mph is too fast or boarder line. I try to stay .5 to .8. Pulling cranks is fine at 1 or more.
I think a 9.9 is max for all around trolling, depending on the boat. The Suzuki 9.9 would be my choice because of efi and cost. I have seen 9.9 Suzuki's for around $2600 on line with free shipping and no tax.

Posted on: 5/2 14:10:07

LSF Member
Other than having the motor as a backup if the main outboard fails, is there a reason why you don't want to use an electric trolling motor? In your other thread you said you have a plain 16' boat with bench seats. Seems like another outboard could be overkill and get in the way and add extra transom weight.

Posted on: 5/2 14:30:55

LSF Member
From Duluth/Waskish
update...I didn't pull the trigger before opener, so of course the 25 Yamaha gave me trouble opening weekend!
Monday morning found me at Grand Rapids Marine, and I left with a 15 hp Suzuki, EFI. Only a few hours on it so far, and it's easily the smoothest little motor I've ever run. Electric start, Backtrolls my boat to less than 1 mph, top end is less than the 25, of course, but I'm getting old and don't need to get anywhere fast:) Oh, and 3+3 warranty, so I'm covered for 6 years anyway.

Posted on: 5/22 18:44:40

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page