Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Some 2017 Notes- Leech Lake
LSF Member
From Walker
With the up-and-down weather we have been experiencing here in the northland, the panfish bite might be best described as hit-or-miss. Productive shallow fishing for perch, sunfish and crappies has occurred during periods of warm spring weather, only to have cold nights drive these fish back into the deeper water where there metabolism slows. With the warmer weather that is forecast for the next ten days, there should be ample opportunity to catch some of these feisty favorites ahead of the walleye opener on May 13th.

Speaking of walleyes, the water temps on Leech Lake have been hovering around 40-50 degrees for more than a week now. These temps are coming into the preferred water temps for spawning activity for these fish. Accidental catches of walleyes while perch fishing have shown spawned-out female walleyes, which is pretty much right on schedule. With reproductive activities out of the way, walleyes on opening day will only have one thing on their mind, eating! More on that next week!

Cheers and hook-sets!

Posted on: 5/2 7:15:33

Re: Some 2017 Notes- Leech Lake
LSF Member
From Duluth
Thanks Captain,,,well said.

Posted on: 5/2 7:30:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Summertime Walker-Winter SWF
With the low water levels low might have to rethink where to launch at. Stony Point is low. I heard that someone had to back in until the front wheels were in the water and still had to get out of the boat and push it of. He has a bunk trailer and normals can drive off. What are you finding?

Posted on: 5/2 11:06:51

LSF Member
From Walker
Quote:

fishingishot wrote:
With the low water levels low might have to rethink where to launch at. Stony Point is low. I heard that someone had to back in until the front wheels were in the water and still had to get out of the boat and push it of. He has a bunk trailer and normals can drive off. What are you finding?

I can't get my boat onto my lift, so yes it's pretty low. They let way too much water out imo. I could see Stony being a p.i.t.a.

Posted on: 5/2 11:26:14

LSF Member
From St Francis
What's a p.i.t.a?

Posted on: 5/2 14:12:11

LSF Member
From Alexandria
I am heading up this weekend to see what I can find as far as pan fish and crappies. I will report after I go out. Hopefully they are turned by then as the weather forecast looks great. Has anyone been through between agency bay and main lake?

Posted on: 5/2 15:13:04

LSF Member
From Summertime Walker-Winter SWF
I have seen boats going through the canal. I'm on Traders Bay and can see the canal and the buoys are not out yet maybe by weekend?

Posted on: 5/3 9:48:11

LSF Member
From Alexandria
Good to know. Looking like a great weekend to find some fish.

Posted on: 5/3 14:47:17

LSF Member
From Walker
It appears that all of the boat landing docks and buoys are in here on Leech Lake, we are ready for opener! Water temps in Walker bay and the main lake are hovering around the 50 degree mark, with afternoon temps up in the "frog water" approaching 60 degrees some evenings. Crappie and bluegill fishing has been dynamite in shallow protected water, and perch fishing is still productive a bit further out.

The focus for most this week will shift from early season panfish, to Stizostedion vitreum, the walleye. We are counting-down to the most anticipated day of the season for walleye anglers, fishing opener 2017!

Be courteous, be safe, and have fun!

Cheers and hook-sets!

Attach file:

jpg  20160515-DSC01970.jpg (812.33 KB)
11026_591119bda728e.jpg 4902X3263 px

Posted on: 5/8 19:18:37

Staff Team
From S.E. MN
Phil,
Thank you for all of your informative updates.
Best of luck on the well anticipated walleye season.

Trick

Posted on: 5/8 19:44:34

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page