Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Skunk sprayed my dog
LSF Member
From Saint Paul
Skunk sprayed my dog last night. I spent a while throwing a ball in the lake to try and wash him off but I know it won't help the smell, so he slept in the garage. What do I do? Just dump jugs and jugs of tomato juice over him?

If there is one critter with a price on it's head in these woods, it's that skunk. I have a raccoon sized live trap that I'll set out tonight. What do I put in for bait to get the skunk and not a coon? I was planning on wet cat food, and putting the trap right by where he was sprayed.

The skunk was under the stairs to my shed, and I thought it would be there this morning but it wasn't. I would have loved to blast him last night but it was after dark and I didn't want the cops to show up. I was ready to massacre an entire family of those little ****ers.

I have never wanted to kill anything more.

Posted on: 5/3 6:43:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Skunk sprayed my dog
LSF Member
From Central, Mn
We have been using this recipe for years with our hunting dogs. Peroxide, dawn dish soap and baking soda. One third of each. Wet down your dog, apply, rub into the dogs hair and rinse. Repeat process if needed several times. Should eliminate the smell.

Posted on: 5/3 7:07:27

LSF Member
From walker
1.1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide.
2.1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
3.1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent.
4.Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly.
5.Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable.
this works, may have to do it a couple of times, Never thought too much about skunks until I have had dogs, its bad good luck

Posted on: 5/3 7:22:11

LSF Member
From Hugo
I know this will sound very strange but (2) 2 litres of Coke bath for the dogs works great also and is a cheap fix! Pour it all over your dog like you would soap and rub it in as much as possible....leave it on as long as you can then just give the dog a normal bath after to make sure you don't have a sticky fur ball running around. I have tried a million different things and nothing seems to work as good as this! Don't get me wrong, if you go up to your dog and put your nose right to them you will still be able to get a sent of that damn skunk but it kills the odor way better than the dawn peroxide bath I tried before this trick. I learned it from some hunting buddies that ALWAYS keep liters of coke with them on hunting trips.

Posted on: 5/3 7:57:24

Field Staff
From Eastern SD & SW MN
Skunk off. Works like a charm in my experience.

Posted on: 5/3 7:59:59

LSF Member
Quote:

berkyboyz wrote:
I know this will sound very strange but (2) 2 litres of Coke bath for the dogs works great also and is a cheap fix! Pour it all over your dog like you would soap and rub it in as much as possible....leave it on as long as you can then just give the dog a normal bath after to make sure you don't have a sticky fur ball running around. I have tried a million different things and nothing seems to work as good as this! Don't get me wrong, if you go up to your dog and put your nose right to them you will still be able to get a sent of that damn skunk but it kills the odor way better than the dawn peroxide bath I tried before this trick. I learned it from some hunting buddies that ALWAYS keep liters of coke with them on hunting trips.

If ya use Diet it shouldn't turn into one big hairball!

Posted on: 5/3 8:59:52

LSF Member
From central mn
I get a kick out of these skunk home remidies,fact is what would ya do out pheasant hunting? middle of no where? can't tell ya how many times over the years with different gun dogs that got nailed by a skunk.

Years back while in western Mn hunting pup got nailed,went to town and bought 2gal of tomato juice,waste of money,shampoo...nope,just spread that yellow piss all over,got home and called my vet,avid hunter and he carries a product called "shunk off" comes in a spray bottle and works on contact no stink what soever they also carry a concentrate for folks that try the above methods only to lock in the stink,works on clothing as well.

So,that small bottle of skunk off goes on every hunting trip these days whether its my dog or someone else its invaluable to have along.

Posted on: 5/3 9:47:36

LSF Member
From Saint Paul
He's all cleaned up and smells like dawn soap.

Now how do I kill this SOB

Posted on: 5/3 10:12:10

LSF Member
From walker
don't shoot him in the head, or back, don't shoot him unless you have live trapped him, throw a sheet over the trap, bring him somewhere, stand back with the 12 gauge, open the trap, of course with a rope from a distance and blast. From experience, some of it bad

Posted on: 5/3 10:41:32

LSF Member
From central mn
Its an adventure when one live traps a critter,sometimes you get a surprise like this rascal,trap was set for a critter getting into garbage cans,coon/skunk?,well this was a surprise,they don't spray but get plenty pissed off and tried a take a chunk outof the trapper when released....

Attach file:

jpg  fischer.jpg (216.70 KB)
4510_590a04dcc22cf.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 5/3 11:27:08

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page