Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

adding link to i-pilot Terrova bow-mount trolling
LSF Member
From Hastings/Remer, MN
has anyone ever added i-PILOT LINK ACCESSORY to their older terrova trolling motor? I have one that has the gps and the anchor lock, but waswondering about adding a link and tying it into my graph to follow way points and contour. thoughts?

Posted on: 5/4 21:51:59
IBOT #286

If guns kill people, can I blame my pen for my mistakes?
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: adding link to i-pilot Terrova bow-mount trolling
LSF Member
Easy to do on the terrova. Just replace the head.

Tougher to do with a powedrive model.

Posted on: 5/4 22:00:53
Humminbird 899ci HD SI
V4 Lakemaster MN
V4 Lakemaster WI

LSF Member
From Hastings/Remer, MN
do you think it's worth it? $800 thing

Posted on: 5/4 22:05:14
IBOT #286

If guns kill people, can I blame my pen for my mistakes?

LSF Member
If it were me, I'd keep what I have a few more years then upgrade in a couple years to a whole new TM with link.

I like having link for following the contour but I use the autopilot and spot lock feature much more than follow the contour.

Where you fish is also a big factor. When I fish ML or other big MN lakes with very accurate lake maps I use follow the contour a lot. However, if I only had regular ipliot and lakemaster maps then I would be able to do the same thing without much effort on the remote.

Posted on: 5/5 9:54:07
Humminbird 899ci HD SI
V4 Lakemaster MN
V4 Lakemaster WI

LSF Member
I upgraded the iPilot to the iPilot Link. It was SUPER easy to do. As far as the value of doing it, I think it was 100% worth it, but that is partly because I bought the iPilot Link from a fella who won it in a contest, so I got a screaming deal.

Posted on: 5/15 23:43:04

LSF Member
I just upgraded my PowerDrive V2 to iPilot, it was super easy, and I don't think going to iPilot Link is any more difficult to install, other than the data cables to the head unit.

First use impressions, I can't believe how much better the fishing experience is with the iPilot. Worth everything I put into it and more. I had to fish alone for opener, buddy had to back out last minute, and the iPilot made it sooooooo much easier to navigate while fishing, did more fishing than boat control. The spot lock when hooked up on a fish was awesome. And the track record and playback was awesome to. Simple feature that I found to be super useful also was the cruise control, seemed the Walleye wanted it at .8 mph, and I could lock on to that.

My question on Link, and the reason I did not go with Link, is the accuracy of the map. I have yet to find a lake where the Navionics or LakeMaster chip was accurate enough for me to think contour lock would work. If you upgraded to the new units that build maps on the fly, then I see the value, great value, but with map chips, I think it is a waste of money cuz they just are not accurate enough. Just my opinion, without actual experience.

Posted on: 5/16 6:43:57

LSF Member
Quote:

F6firecat wrote:
I just upgraded my PowerDrive V2 to iPilot, it was super easy, and I don't think going to iPilot Link is any more difficult to install, other than the data cables to the head unit.

First use impressions, I can't believe how much better the fishing experience is with the iPilot. Worth everything I put into it and more. I had to fish alone for opener, buddy had to back out last minute, and the iPilot made it sooooooo much easier to navigate while fishing, did more fishing than boat control. The spot lock when hooked up on a fish was awesome. And the track record and playback was awesome to. Simple feature that I found to be super useful also was the cruise control, seemed the Walleye wanted it at .8 mph, and I could lock on to that.

My question on Link, and the reason I did not go with Link, is the accuracy of the map. I have yet to find a lake where the Navionics or LakeMaster chip was accurate enough for me to think contour lock would work. If you upgraded to the new units that build maps on the fly, then I see the value, great value, but with map chips, I think it is a waste of money cuz they just are not accurate enough. Just my opinion, without actual experience.

For lakemaster, you definitely need check out the lake list online and see which lakes are in HD AND MAPPED by lakemaster themselves. If you fish a lot of these lake then it is very accurate. Any of the big lakes in MN are very accurate.

Posted on: 5/16 10:56:49
Humminbird 899ci HD SI
V4 Lakemaster MN
V4 Lakemaster WI

LSF Member
I used my new Terrova with Link this past weekend and it was awesome. I was fishing a big rock reef with lots of little bumps along the edge, I followed the contour and the depth accuracy was within 1ft essentially the whole time. It made my fishing far more enjoyable not having to follow closely to the map and sonar. I was on a HD mapped lake.

Posted on: 5/16 11:09:43

LSF Member
From Duluth
Just ordered a new powerdrive I-pilot and helix di g2,,,from what I read about linking and maps ,lakes I fish its not going to matter.

My thought is if traveling to several different or larger lakes,probably pretty nice. Babe Winkleman says if you can,do it.

Posted on: 5/16 11:13:44

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page