Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: How do you fish ML on the opener?
LSF Member
From Wahkon,MN
I like to find the biggest group of boats and dig myself right into the middle of them because there has to be fish biting there....

Some peoples antics on the water just floor me.

Every method will put fish in the boat but some work better than others. My best results under 60deg temps were always rigging a minnow or leech. BUT, I'm a big fan of covering water so when the temps hit 60 I start to pull crawlers and spinners then troll lead core with cranks at 70 degrees.

Just remember, when fishing the gravel/rocks you won't always graph fish even though they are there. Sometimes you have to just give and area a pass or two. Move around if you are not getting action as there is always a bite happening for someone, somewhere on the lake.

Posted on: 5/9 7:52:30

LSF Member
Mark me down as one of the NO-GOER's. Fished Mille Lacs religiously on opener for over 15 years, this is the 3rd year in the row I will not fish it. Politics tainted this Minnesota crown jewel of a lake for me, its unfortunate. I will be using all those tactics on a different lake again this year.

Posted on: 5/9 8:24:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Secret X
I'll mark ya down as a whiner. ... I GO on fishing trips to catch fish! !! Gonna be trolling cranks in 10ft or less at midnight. If I drink to much Fri I'll have my nephew motor us out to watch night Brights

Posted on: 5/9 8:33:04

LSF Member
From St. Cloud
I'll be sitting on the rocks at midnight if that doesn't work I'll troll cranks in tight Saturday afternoon I will be chasing panniers then back to the rocks for the night bite

Posted on: 5/9 8:47:35

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Quote:

F6firecat wrote:
Mark me down as one of the NO-GOER's. Fished Mille Lacs religiously on opener for over 15 years, this is the 3rd year in the row I will not fish it. Politics tainted this Minnesota crown jewel of a lake for me, its unfortunate. I will be using all those tactics on a different lake again this year.

Sweet more fish for me.

Posted on: 5/9 9:24:49

LSF Member
Yep, Ripjiggen, more Walleye for you to catch and kill with hooking mortality. Enjoy! I will have just as much fun fishing, hooking and keeping a meal of Walleye on a different lake, that politics has not ruined for me yet.

Posted on: 5/9 9:39:18

LSF Member
From Mille Lacs/Landfall
Quote:

F6firecat wrote:
Yep, Ripjiggen, more Walleye for you to catch and kill with hooking mortality. Enjoy! I will have just as much fun fishing, hooking and keeping a meal of Walleye on a different lake, that politics has not ruined for me yet.

1+ I'm with you 100%. It's sad.

Posted on: 5/9 9:52:06

LSF Member
From Minnesota
I can guarantee you I will not kill a walleye by hooking mortality. It's even more sad that people shame others for fishing a lake that is completely legal. If it's all about politics than why the shot about hooking mortality. I can go five minutes from my house and catch eater walleyes but hey thanks for ruining another constructive post about Mille lacs. I love the structure and the various species that are large in Mille lacs. So what....Have fun stuffing your freezer this weekend.

Now back to the ORIGINAL post. Depending on the wind I would look for wind blown sides of structure and if it is really blowing don't be afraid to go less than ten feet. Good luck pm saturday if you want to compare notes.

Posted on: 5/9 10:07:06

LSF Member
Ripjiggen,

I posted as a response to Snow's curiosity post if people would stay away from Mille Lacs because of the catch and release rule.

You took the first shot by replying directly to my comment with your "more fish for me" reply. I just added a bit more clarity to your response. And I was not shaming anyone, its a DNR accepted statistic on mortality rate, whether you kill them or not. If anything it was a shot at the DNR for a politically motivated statistic.

And for the record, I don't put fish in my freezer, I only keep what I eat fresh for a meal.

And back to the ORIGINAL post - On Mille Lacs for opener, I typically ran long snells with plain red hooks, with either leeches or crawlers depending on the earliness of Spring, in the sand on the North shore out of Barnacles. Then bobbered up on the rocks in the evenings unless weather did not permit. This years weather looks to be good, all techniques should catch fish and the evening should be pleasant for lighter bobber fishing.

Posted on: 5/9 10:20:04

LSF Member
From mora mn
I'll prolly be out at midnight on shallow rocks. Then pull Lindy's in sand. Maybe throw some baits in shallow to mid rocks also.

Posted on: 5/9 10:29:46

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page