Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

BSL Opener Tips
LSF Member
From Bloomington, MN
I'm heading to BSL for opener this year and was curious if anyone would share any tips for walleyes there this time of year. Thanks!

Posted on: 5/8 13:47:45
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: BSL Opener Tips
LSF Member
JigsnRigs,

I have only fished opener on BSL a couple of times, so take that for what it is worth, and last year was about as non-typical as they come with a snow covered boat Saturday morning.

But, I will share what I know. Fish shallow, meaning 6'-12' over even shallower in the morning and evening. It is bog stained water so the Walleye are generally shallower than other lakes. I was told to use jig & minnow (shiners), but will say that last year leeches out fished minnows, and actually we did not catch one Walleye on a minnow. But really, it pretty much the same as all other lakes for early Walleye. You can jig, you can rig, you can cast, you can troll, just do it shallower than you usually would. And early morning, and evening are key time periods. Colors, so far, does not seem to matter at all, but rule of thumb from the old-timers I talked to is red hook w/ green bead, or green hook with red bead, but again, I caught fish on all colors. You can also troll raps as a search tool to find fish, then switch to jigs or rigs. Just look for flats along shorelines or around islands in the 6'-12" range and there should be fish. Lots of boats will be in the river inlet/outlet area, but I stay away from the crowds and do just as well.

Posted on: 5/8 14:17:46

LSF Member
From Cokato, MN
JigsnRigs,

I think F6 covered it pretty well. I've only fished the opener once, two years ago. Didn't do too well as I was new to the lake and I think I tried fishing it too deep, around 12-15'. Since then I've fished it about a dozen times and found that the fish typically are shallower than that, especially early and late in the year. There are tons of spots on that lake to catch fish. Just look for those 6-10' flats. If that depth isn't producing, try going shallower or a little deeper at the first break. Like F6 said, can't beat a Lindy and a leech. But, I've caught them on a 1/8oz jig and fathead/shiner as well. With the early spring we've had, I'm hoping the fish are a little further along and aren't just grouped up near the flowages. Can't wait to get up there! Good luck!
Joe

Posted on: 5/8 14:39:37

LSF Member
From Bloomington, MN
Thanks F6 and Joe. I appreciate it. This gives me some good info to work with. Good luck if you're on the water this weekend!

Posted on: 5/8 16:09:05

LSF Member
From Cokato, MN
Curious if anybody else has a report they'd like to share from opener on BSL? Our group had a good time and caught some fish. 5 of us, including 2 12 year olds on their inaugural opener trip, managed just enough keepers for a fish fry on Saturday evening and then kept a few more on Sunday. Largest walleye was about 15". Caught many, many more in the 10-13 1/2" range. Lindy rig w/ leech in about 5-8' seemed to work best, pulled slow. Also caught a few on a jig and minnow, jig and plastic, jig and leech under bobber, and casting cranks in shallow. Water temp ranged from 57 on the main lake to 64 in Davis Bay.

Posted on: 5/17 12:34:03

LSF Member
From Mille Lacs/Landfall
I have not fished BSl in a long time. I'm starting to look at lake cabins. Would you guys suggest BSl for a cabin? I hear a lot of complaints about the walleyes just being too dang small.

Posted on: 5/17 12:58:56

LSF Member
Joejarl,

My opener report is about that same as yours. Lots of 12"-13-1/2" Walleye, but a limit to take home. Caught fish pretty much all day, but morning and evening were the best. Finally found a structure that held some 14"-16" Walleye in the slot, and also in the 5'-8' depth range. Our group used leeches, crawlers and fatheads, on a bunch of different presentations, and they all fished about the same. Did you have a lot of short bites? All of use lost more biting fish than we caught on short bites, even feeding line and giving time, was kind of frustrating.

Oldstar, I have been debating the cabin purchase also, and I will say that I really like BSL. Can be frustrating as stated with smaller Walleye, but I have always caught fish and always caught a few keepers. Its an enjoyable lake with lots of fishing and recreational opportunities. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase on the lake.

Posted on: 5/17 13:49:03

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Oldstar, I pm'd you.

Posted on: 5/17 13:56:28

LSF Member
From Cokato, MN
F6,
Yes, we did notice a fair amount of short strikes and it didn't seem to matter how much line you fed 'em. You also hinted at another thing I'm starting to notice with that lake, that it seems like the different size range fish tend to group together. In my experience, if I catch one in the slot there is a good chance there are more in that area. We kinda stuck to one area because we were catching so many, but it might of been a mistake as they were mostly unders. I did spend some time Saturday afternoon checking out a couple of the 10-12' rock humps on the main lake and marked what appeared to be decent fish on them, but couldn't get them to bite. Should've tried them in the evening. I'm still stinging a little from the one that got away. Just before wrapping up our trip, I hooked into a good fish. Easily the biggest I've had on that lake. Might of horsed it a little too much and snapped the line before getting to see what it was. Felt like a Walleye and wanted nothing to do with coming to the surface.

Oldstar,
We bought a small cabin on Davis Bay about 3 years ago. We have been happy with our choice. The lake is a good mix of fishing, recreation, and socializing. If you lean mainly toward fishing, there are probably better options, but it is a fun lake.

Joe

Posted on: 5/17 14:18:17

LSF Member
The BIG one always get away. Similar story, the first fish I hooked up on, a small rock pile about 40 feet from the dock, was the biggest fish I had on all weekend. First fish of the year, drag set way too tight, long rod fishing rustiness, what ever you want to call it, I horsed it and broke my line also. Never saw the fish, bite was like a Walleye, fight was like a Walleye, and it was big enough that I could not move it easily. But I will never know what it was. I did catch 6 snot rockets in the 2 days of fishing, so could have been a Pike as well, but that doesn't make as good of a story

Posted on: 5/17 15:21:50

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page