Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

boat gas
I have 98 Johnson 90hp I've always used mid grade gas. Is going to non oxygenated worth it will it make my motor run better/smother.

Thanks tj

Posted on: 5/9 19:56:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: boat gas
LSF Member
From Spicer Area
I think it's 100% worth it unles your going to burn up a tank of gas a day?

Posted on: 5/9 20:56:41

Staff Team
From Bloomington
The best benefit to non-oxy is not the octane it is the fact it doesn't ferment into gelatinous goo in your fuel system.

Posted on: 5/9 21:25:24

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Yes it will help, especially on maintenance like stated just runs that much cleaner. I run non oxy and seafoam in every tank. Not cheap but feel I make up for it in the long run. Knock on wood but never have had to clean carbs or deal with a poorly idling motor.

Posted on: 5/9 22:19:11

LSF Member
If I'm running though a lot of gas frequently, I'll use regular gas. If it's going to sit for more than 2-3 weeks, It's full of non-oxy. I just wish we had 87 octane in non-oxy here. no need for higher octane unless the motor calls for it.

Posted on: 5/10 11:59:46

LSF Member
From Savage, MN
IMO, I would ONLY use non-oxy gas with Seafoam. It's cheap "insurance". The only question is, "Do you want to pay for premium gas or do you want to pay a premium price to have someone re-build your carb or clean out your fuel system? Pretty easy choice for me. Except for my vehicles, I run non-oxy gas with Seafoam in ALL of my equipment. Never had a problem.

Posted on: 5/11 9:13:44

LSF Member
MrB, I am curious about the ONLY comment about using SeaFoam with non-Oxy. I, like others here, run only non-Oxy gas in all of my small engines, and I do use SeaFoam on occassion, for sure in first tank of the year and last tank of the year. But I do not use it all the time.

Why do you state that "I would ONLY use non-oxy gas with Seafoam"?

The point of using non-Oxy in the first place is because it is cleaner and tends not to gum up like ethanol gases, so I see less need for SeaFoam in every tank.

Posted on: 5/11 9:24:29

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
I believe MrB was stating he would only put non-oxy in his boat and would always add seafoam as well. Not so much adding it because he is using Non-Oxy but because it's even more protection.

Posted on: 5/11 10:03:36

LSF Member
From Hiding from the Wife!
As a marine mechanic I'd love to say just run whatever fuel you want, it helps to keep my kids fed! But in all seriousness run Non-Oxy unless you want a $400+ bill from the shop for carb kits and all new fuel lines not to mention a ruined day on the water.

Posted on: 5/11 10:39:27

LSF Member
Ha, I was going to make a comment similar to yours Crestliner08, how Ethanol is keeping a lot of small mechanic businesses open, but didn't want to affect anyone's livelihood, ha! Keeps the economy going, cash flowing.

Posted on: 5/11 11:01:52

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page