Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

What would you pay?
LSF Member
From mora mn
With the excellent fishing on mille lacs this past winter and all the people coming to it and my free time in winter I've been debating on buying a wheelhouse or 2 and renting out. What would you guys pay for a night in a heated house that is on fish (to the best of my capibilities) mille lacs doesn't have many " wheel house options" and how many ppl would rent mid week?

This is just me brainstorming....

Posted on: 5/11 21:58:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: What would you pay?
Staff Team
From Monticello/Paynesville
I'm not certain of the regulations on hardware but on open water the question is what will you pay as a guide? Coast Guard licensing, insurance, supplies, etc... I think you may need to dig deep into this as guide regulations are costly and they weed out the real passionate guides and those looking for a quick buck. Do your research sundie. You don't want someone to slip going in or out of your house. Getting seriously injured and loosing everything. Again, I'm no expert, just valid concern. I hope some of our members who guide for a living will chime in with factual advice.

Posted on: 5/11 22:20:13

LSF Member
From mora mn
My biggest wondering is am I guiding or just renting a house? Haven't looked into it to know if there is big difference... Like I said just is an idea...

Posted on: 5/11 23:07:27

LSF Member
From Minnesota
None of that will apply on hard water. No coast guard license or any of that with a wheel house. My two cents is that people do not care to rent a wheel house much anymore or a sleeper house in general seems like everyone has one now. The folks that rent houses are there to either party or bachelor party type. The others don't care if they are in a wheel house or a skid house they want a one nighter and that is about it. With the season being so short lately not a lot of time to make money and you need to be on call and on the lake at all times. As in you need to live out there. You can not telll someone I will take care of the issue in the morning. The other problem is getting access or permission to go out of a resort because you will need a plowed road. Not many resorts will let you use there road for personal gain without getting a cut of the profits. Can not go out of a public launch unless you are going to bridge the heaves yourself and maintain a road. Midweek will be slow at best. In my opinion it is easier said than done. Not to be negative but you will be better off fishing all winter instead of trying to make a few bucks and working you arse off to do it. Just not enough money to be made with a couple houses. IMHO

Posted on: 5/12 0:34:57

LSF Member
From Baxter, MN
my wife and I were looking for rentals last winter on ML, alot of the resorts were charging a minimum of 175/night for their sleepers. first going into it, i thought i could get away with going for around 120ish. Until we found a friend who wasnt using their sleeper on a weekend, I wasnt going to pay 175 for the night. I would probably pay up to 150.

I have seen some craigslist ads of guys renting out their wheelhouses, i beleive they were under 150/night. Ideally, I would rather rent a wheelhouse and bring it to my lake of my choosing. theres only one place i know of that does it locally--pleasureland--and they charge 185/night which isnt too bad if you can pick your own lake
http://www.pleasurelandrv.com/rentals/ice-house/816RD

I'm not sure how an average Joe could go about htat though with insurance, i'm sure its fairly easy to figure out, and if you can get a deposit from their CC

Posted on: 5/12 6:17:19

LSF Member
In my opinion its just not worth it unless you either REALLY love doing that type of work or you are able to scale your operation up to make the money work out.

When you start to really break it down the money doesn't seem to make sense for a small operation. Lets say you have 2 wheel houses to rent and you were able to pick them up used for $5000 each, you'll be in for a minimum of $10,000 on day 1. You'll need to figure out insurance costs and figure out a way to get the houses on the ice. That likely means making a deal with an existing resort that maintains roads. Keep in mind that you'll need a plow on your truck if you don't already because you'll need to open up your own spots for your houses off of the main resort roads. Add in propane, other gear, and the money to fix the things that can and absolutely will break and you're probably looking at a minimum of $10,000-15,000 investment to get started.

Now keep in mind you've only got about 8 weekends a year if you're lucky to make your money. That assumes you are able to get your houses out on the ice by January 1, and thats not a sure thing. If you can rent them for $175/night or $350/weekend you'd be looking at about $5600 for the season.

Out of the $5600 you're probably sending a percentage of that to the resort for allowing you to access their roads, and you've got to pay taxes on it. I bet you'd be lucky to keep $3000 of that. Part of that $3000 will also go to day to day operating costs (gas for your truck, etc), Whatever is left will go toward covering your initial start up costs.

If your start up costs were $12,000 you probably won't see a penny of profit until at least year 4. If you can rent during the week you'll bring in more money but you'll still have to be available to your guests all of the time. Do you have a job that will allow you to do that?

In the end you're talking about a lot of work, a decent amount of risk, and very little money. Only do it if you REALLY love the work. Keep in mind that it will substantially cut into your fishing time.

Posted on: 5/12 9:24:12

LSF Member
From Park Rapids
What has been stated above makes sense to me. You could expand your earning ability by renting them out as campers in the summer. I rented one a few summers ago and pulled it to an event in my home town. Worked great and I ended up talking my wife into buying one. Some people want to try before they buy, so I think there is still a market for it.

Back to hard water, if you let the renter pull to the lake of their choice you run some risks. Your equipment getting beat up by someone who doesn't know/care about how they are treating it. House dropping through the ice because they were careless/didn't check the lake out/accidents/etc. On the other hand, if you put the house out yourself, now you are responsible for keeping the renters on the fish. look back through threads. Not so much on here, but some of the FB pages that I have sense left because I can't stand the bitching and whining. "Rented from so and so, they didn't come check on me enough, I didn't catch any fish, blah blah".

all things to consider. not trying to steer you way, just stating facts that I have seen recently so you are aware.

Posted on: 5/12 11:40:45

LSF Member
Honestly it's not worth it i had houses out there before and people ****, piss and leave their trash everywhere. It is kind of a bad thing for the lake sleeper houses are a waste of time on mille lacs and every good fisherman knows that. You need to move around on mille lacs to find the fish. If you want to make some good money you should buy a cabin. Rent the cabin out, charge a deposit. Get some really nice portables and take your customers out there to them in the morning. I feel like you would have better luck with your stuff not getting trashed that way. Also you can rent the cabin out in the summer and possibly guide them with your boat. Now is the time to invest in an cabin as the real estate up there is so cheap right now, fish houses are a liability...they lose value every year.

Posted on: 5/12 14:14:22

LSF Member
From Lake Lillian, MN
If you're running a single house, it's probably not worth it for the headache/costs/etc. You won't need any special guide certification but make sure you have good insurance. Both to cover your property and to cover injured individuals who are renting your house.

Posted on: 5/12 14:21:41

Anonymous
And then being a good rental person you should be up there full time for emergencies, propane, etc. A lot of work.

Posted on: 5/12 15:05:34

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page