Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Lesson Learned
LSF Member
From walker
Yesterday, the 15th I had a visit on the water from 2 game wardens. They were cordial, non threatening, but went by the book. Had my license, had my registration, had my fire extinguisher, had my horn, no fish on board, was releasing my catch. But my PFD's inflatables were by my side on a bench, that's a no no unless you have the jacket style pfd's on board, they can be in a unlocked compartment with nothing on top of them. Yes I know I should have had my inflatable on, but didn't I am getting better but still need to do it. I had no throwable cushion, I had a rope device that goes in a bag with a bag on it called a life line, not legal in Minnesota, but ok in Ontario. So I got a warning ticket and a lesson. I am now in the system, I have 2 boats and will make sure both are up to the law. First time in 20 years or so I have been checked by wardens, have been checked by the sherriff's before. So who gets the ticket if someone else in the boat is not complying even though pfd's are available? I am sure its the boat operator. So have them on board, and better yet wear them.

Posted on: 5/16 10:42:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Lesson Learned
LSF Member
From Burnsville, MN
That's interesting that some inflatables doesn't count toward the # of PFDs on board per person. Good to know! I just brushed up on the rules with this document which has info about inflatables on page 14:

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/boatwater/boatingguide.pdf

Posted on: 5/16 13:35:44

LSF Member
Aaron, I think what Shefland meant was that he wasn't wearing that inflatable, and you must be wearing the inflatable for it to count as a PFD. If you're not wearing it, then you must have a regular, non-inflatable PFD on board.

Posted on: 5/16 13:42:23

LSF Member
From walker
That's right, if you look on the labeling of your inflatable, its says its only approved if wearing it. In other words, always have the jacket style on board also.

Posted on: 5/16 13:59:09

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
Not all inflatables need to be worn. Mine says "coast guard approved type II". Type II do NOT need to be worn to count.

Many inflatables are Type V are regulated differently and called out as such in the boating regs. It clearly states "some type V's need to be worn to count".

SL

Posted on: 5/16 19:25:33

LSF Member
From walker
What brand do you have? the wardens who checked me said no to that, just wondering

Posted on: 5/16 20:13:08

LSF Member
From walker
Mine is a type 111

Posted on: 5/16 20:13:56

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
Mine is a cabelas. I will look at what particular model tomorrow. I know that it does not say it needs to be worn to be counted, it just says "USGC approved type II.

Maybe i have just been lucky, but i have been checked and not had it questioned when it was on my dadhboard?

Posted on: 5/16 21:50:17

LSF Member
From Burnsville, MN
Quote:

Shortline wrote:
Not all inflatables need to be worn. Mine says "coast guard approved type II". Type II do NOT need to be worn to count.

Many inflatables are Type V are regulated differently and called out as such in the boating regs. It clearly states "some type V's need to be worn to count".

SL

Exactly, that's why I posted the PDF because it says some, so apparently it depends on the type of inflatable and you have to look at the specific inflatable to determine that.

I wonder if it depends on if it auto-inflates or if you have to manual inflate? I'll have to look next time I'm at the sporting goods store to compare. I don't personally have an inflatable PFD.

Posted on: 5/18 14:57:13

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page