Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Driveway Options
LSF Member
I have about a 750 ft driveway, currently mostly sand with a little gravel left. Considering options for having it redone.

Anyone have a crushed concrete / asphalt mix? How do you like it?

Posted on: 5/19 13:39:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Driveway Options
LSF Member
From mora mn
Recycled is great. Packs hard but is spendier and harder to find. If u do get it make sure u look through it that there isn't old wire mesh to pop a tire.
Class 5 is also good. Cheaper and easier to find

Posted on: 5/19 14:36:28

LSF Member
From East Bethel
I have about 300' of crushed lime... Cost is a little more than class 5 and looks better.

Posted on: 5/19 17:19:50

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
Recycled class 5 with a higher percentage of concrete would be great and cost effective and bituminous millings would be perfect but more expensive. Of course limestone and trap rock are also options.

Posted on: 5/20 8:52:50

LSF Member
From Mn
Heres a read.Class5 roadway mix is great.However if in the furture you want to asphalt or concrete it holds moisture and heaves plenty in spring
I have 600ft of class5 roadway if graded and draged every spring its great.Its the spring frost heave that would ruin future asphalt/concrete applications.
I like what I have just takes some grading and draging every spring once moisture is low. I would never asphalt it with out grading and at least 4 inches of sand applied so the ashphalt/concrete wont crack.

http://brachtbros.com/dresser-class-5-driveway-mix

Posted on: 5/20 13:24:47

LSF Member
not sure on the price but I work for Cemstone and the Elk River and Dayton plants both have recycled concrete all yr long there is a cemstone plant by Brainerd as well that might have a pile also a plant in Isle

Posted on: 5/20 16:43:51

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
CL5 base is what all roads whether they are concrete or asphalt, are built on top of (with the exception of concrete overlays on existing asphalt). It is what you need to build your driveway out of, whether it is recycled concrete CL5, virgin CL5, limestone CL5, trap rock CL5, etc. If your driveway is heaving/boiling in the spring, it is because the subgrade soils are holding water and you need to either remove those soils (clays, saturated sands) or find a way to drain the subgrade (drain tile, culverts, ditches).
I would not place a new asphalt or concrete driveway on sand.

Posted on: 5/22 6:57:13

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
Recycled CL 5 makes great base, but can be a little dusty. In general depending on where you live natural CL5 (glacial gravel) Con-bit (recycled CL 5 concrete & asphalt) will be pretty close in price. Limestone, Granite, Trap CL 5 will be more expensive because they have to drill/blast/crush the stone to produce it.

Posted on: 5/22 8:40:35

LSF Member
If possible, I'd rather spend a little more now and not have to do any maintenance on it.

Also, I just put BFG All Terrain tires on my truck and noticed that I now spit out a few pieces of gravel each time I leave the driveway. Not sure if that problem would go away once it's packed correctly or if that also plays into what material I should choose

Posted on: 5/22 10:20:36

LSF Member
I would do a RAP driveway

Posted on: 5/24 3:51:24

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page