Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Mid June
LSF Member
From South Metro
Hey all -

The plan is to take the family out of Red Door in the middle of June. I've never fished Mille Lacs during open water. My question is what "style" of fishing should I plan for? Trolling around base of flats? Drifting over the top? seems as of late it doesn't matter - you can catch fish!
Now, something for the pan - is there something that works better than others to boat some perch? If I found some decent pannies, that would fill the pan, too. Im sure a lot of this depends on what the bug hatch is doing around this timeframe...

Thanks -

SD

Posted on: 5/20 7:06:52
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Mid June
LSF Member
From Edin Prairie
Good luck finding any perch in a keep able size nowadays. Your best bet would be to trailer up to Clear Lake. From the Red Door it is nor that far. You will catch more than enough sunnies to keep the kids entertained. They are not monsters but you will be able to get plenty worth filleting for a meal.

Posted on: 5/20 7:58:07

LSF Member
From South Metro
Yeah - I understand perch size and numbers are down, but am wondering what the bait of choice may be this time of year - leeches or minnows. Sounds like both may be either in short supply or expensive. I'll likely pack a supply of plastics for trolling and drifting for the eyes... Not ruling a northern out for the pan, either. Dragging to another lake isn't ruled out, either. I suppose I'm asking what methods and colors boat more eyes this time of year, as I want the 10 and 6 year olds to pull them in! 👍

SD

Posted on: 5/20 17:55:44

LSF Member
Slip bobber and leach in the evening for 10 and 6 yr old!

I start pulling crawlers mid June. Or leeches.

Posted on: 5/20 20:40:25
Humminbird 899ci HD SI
V4 Lakemaster MN
V4 Lakemaster WI

LSF Member
I wouldn't plan on any perch or panfish on Mille Lacs period. Having said that, your kids should have a good time catching and releasing walleyes. June is prime. I wouldn't worry about minnows, unless you want to target pike. Leeches and crawlers rigging deeper during the day. Leeches under bobbers for evening. Or trolling cranks is fun too.

Posted on: 5/22 12:37:47

LSF Member
From Zimmerman/MilleLacs
Should still be dass on the rocks.Certainly not as good as walleye but not bad in the pan.

Posted on: 5/22 14:18:22

LSF Member
From South Metro
Well -

Mid June is here - any update as to what to expect or prepare for? planning on slip bobbers on edges of breaks for walleye early and late and cranks and tubes on rocks during day for smallies.

Any input or reports?

thanks -

SD

Posted on: 6/14 6:29:03

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Sounds like you have a good plan. Last weekend I pulled spinners off the edge of mud flats and rigged leaches on the edge of rock reefs and caught plenty of fish.

Posted on: 6/14 9:24:51

LSF Member
Sounds like the smallmouth bite has not really turned on yet. Maybe soon. I would for sure plan on slip bobbers and leeches, edge of flats, the deep break, and some closer in rock piles at evening. I'm sure Red Door can point out some specific structure too.

Posted on: 6/14 9:35:04

LSF Member
Are you guys fishing on the north side of the lake or the south side? I'm heading up there Saturday morning and have never fished the lake before but have heard the walleye bite has been good. I have a good idea of what I'm going to try just where is my only concern.

Thanks

Posted on: 6/14 12:11:06

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page